Goodbye Jesus

Work n such

DarkBishop

Nothing to do with religion. But I'm exchristian and this is my life so.... meh. Whatever. 

Reached a point at my workplace that I think it's time to move on to hopefully greener pastures. I have an impeccable resume for my particular trade but every time I get to this point I have a lot of anxiety. Even though every time I've made a move it has worked out for the better. This place in particular, I really originally thought I would retire from. Then another company bought it out and it's been an ever increasing point of stress in my life. Now the favoritism for promotions is unbearable. Basically I was just informed today that an employee that has 4 months experience in this field, who was 3 tiers lower on the scale than myself is being made a lead which is the top of the hourly pay scale. The only qualification being that his brother is in a high position in management. 

No one else even had a chance to interview. It was just given to him on a silver platter. Ugh. Fuckn shit. I can't work for a company like this anymore. I have a meeting scheduled with my boss' boss Monday morning and if he doesn't give acceptable restitution I'm filing complaints with corporate and starting the process of finding a new job. Then I'll quit. 

• Like 1

You may have heard about what they’re calling The Great Resignation: lots of people leaving their jobs and finding something better in the same field or doing something different.  It’s definitely a seller’s market for many skills now.  Of course you have to consider whether you’d have to move etc but if you’re not happy in your job I’d definitely pursue it.  

• Like 1

I seem to remember seeing a statistic saying that the average adult changes careers something like five to eight times during their professional life. Doesn't seem to be unusual.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Moonobserver said:

I seem to remember seeing a statistic saying that the average adult changes careers something like five to eight times during their professional life. Doesn't seem to be unusual.

Yeah. Not unusual at all. Just venting really I guess. Just sucks. I hate starting over. I'm hoping the next place will be the one that takes me to retirement. We'll see. And  still giving this company one last.chance. not that matters. They'll still do.what they want I'm sure. 

• Super Moderator

I went back to college when I was 35, after over 10 years in the electrical trade.  I got my degree in biotechnology and went into the pharmaceutical industry.  It's had its upside and downs, and I also walked away from a really good company because of new management making work more stressful than necessary.  But it was well worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I went back to college when I was 35, after over 10 years in the electrical trade.  I got my degree in biotechnology and went into the pharmaceutical industry.  It's had its upside and downs, and I also walked away from a really good company because of new management making work more stressful than necessary.  But it was well worth it.

Damn professor! Sounds exactly like some of the BS I deal with. Except this place always has new management. I've been there almost 7 years and I've seen 10 maintenance managers come and go. Or get moved off to different departments out of maintenance. Ive not worked under all of them. This is just observations of all 3 departments and different levels of maintenance management. But i.have worked under most of them. A manager typically has 1 - 2 years before they are fired or moved. 

The end is finally in sight for my "official" work life - I'm less than a year from my 65th birthday, and pension documents have automatically started arriving in my mailbox.  I may stop altogether, but more likely I'll request a part-time position (say, four hours a day or three days a week) where I can work from home.

It's been quite a ride - My college degree is in media arts, but I've worked at a lot of things:  Accounts clerk, product demonstrator, dishwasher, waitress, painter's helper, printer, executive secretary, IT technician, teacher, medical transcriptionist.  Seriously thinking of something that expresses my love of writing and of clarinets - writing or proofreading by day, playing in a band by night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astreja said:

The end is finally in sight for my "official" work life - I'm less than a year from my 65th birthday, and pension documents have automatically started arriving in my mailbox.  I may stop altogether, but more likely I'll request a part-time position (say, four hours a day or three days a week) where I can work from home.

It's been quite a ride - My college degree is in media arts, but I've worked at a lot of things:  Accounts clerk, product demonstrator, dishwasher, waitress, painter's helper, printer, executive secretary, IT technician, teacher, medical transcriptionist.  Seriously thinking of something that expresses my love of writing and of clarinets - writing or proofreading by day, playing in a band by night.

Pension is one of the things I hope to see while looking for a new job. Better benefits is a must at this point in life. I have about 21 years before retirement. And would love to have a secured pension. I hope my next move is my last. I guess time will tell. 

I'd like to get a little side hustle going with some pottery on etsy or something. I always loved working in pottery and a few years ago even bought my own kiln. But with the divorce and all going on I never ran the cable from the house to the garage to get it going. 

18 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I regard this as personally inspiring. I am in my early thirties seriously considering a major career change.