Goodbye Jesus

Is Logic an Absolute? A Simple Test

TheRedneckProfessor

Just now, alreadyGone said:

Austin..

Respectfully, these questions are nonsense.

... edited

• Super Moderator
13 minutes ago, AustinAustin said:

How does logic exist in a material universe, considering that logic is itself immaterial? How does an absolute standard of reason exist in a material universe and why is that not evidence of design?

Austin, shut the fuck up about logic being the absolute standard of reason until you have proven that it actually is.

Do you agree with the conclusion of the logical progression outlined in the opening post of this thread?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AustinAustin said:

All is made by and of God.

Existential fallacy.  First you have to demonstrate -- empirically, with testable physical evidence -- that your god actually exists.  Then, and only then, you can attempt to demonstrate that it's capable of creating things.

The Bible is not acceptable as evidence here, so don't bother going down that path.

Why? You will die, if you go to Hell, if the possibility exists, you need to get to the bottom of the issue.

I consider that possibility so infinitesimally small that I'm prepared to take that chance.

Especially since I believe that Hell was deliberately invented by humans to control other humans via fear, and also believe that living in fear is a lousy way to live.  I saw through the Hell myth when I was seven years old.

What can I do for you all?

Well, I could use a new alto clarinet.  A Buffet BC1503-2-0 would be nice. :grin:                   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Astreja said:

Well, I could use a new alto clarinet.  A Buffet BC1503-2-0 would be nice. :grin:                   

Nice.

I've been wanting a six string bass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AustinAustin said:

Nice.

I've been wanting a six string bass.

Okay, now we have common ground for a discussion.  

3 minutes ago, Astreja said:

Okay, now we have common ground for a discussion.  

Lol I would "like" that but I don't know how.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, AustinAustin said:

Lol I would "like" that but I don't know how.

I would like for you to answer the question; but you don't know how to do that either, do you?

20 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:
20 hours ago, AustinAustin said:

How does logic exist in a material universe, considering that logic is itself immaterial? How does an absolute standard of reason exist in a material universe and why is that not evidence of design?

Austin, shut the fuck up about logic being the absolute standard of reason until you have proven that it actually is.

Do you agree with the conclusion of the logical progression outlined in the opening post of this thread?

Austin, we're playing rough. You're sticking around. You must not be put off very easily. 

If you intend on sticking around then let's please cut the BS and just give him a straight answer. We can't have a meaningful discussion if you don't at least give honest answers to the questions people are asking you. This is a two way street. You're asking us things and we're giving you intellectually honest answers. It's all on record. 

But you're still evading. Posting bible verses or repeating mantras doesn't get you anywhere. Forget about material and immaterial and just answer the question he's asking you. Pray about it then answer, whatever floats your boat.

• Super Moderator

As it is apparent that Austin is not going to answer the question presented to him at the beginning of this thread, I am going to bring things to a close.  Before I do, though, for the sake of those interested, I’d like to give a brief discourse on the possible outcomes this thread might have had.  As I see it, Austin had four options available to him: agree, disagree, show a flaw in the logic, or avoid the problem altogether.   He chose to avoid.  I’d like to explain the outcomes had he chosen a different option.

But first, since Austin chose to avoid the problem, let’s look at the significance of him doing so.  Austin attempted to change the subject, preferring to derail the thread into an argument over Eve, serpents, and free will.  Austin attempted to pretend, at least once, not to know what question he was expected to answer.  Austin, on several occasions, attempted to deflect by offering non-answers to the question.  And Austin simply ignored repeated attempts to get him to answer.  What does all this evasion and obfuscation amount to?  Simply this: by his omission, Austin is unwittingly acknowledging that a) he does not agree with the conclusion and b) therefore logic is not the absolute standard for reasoning.  His “proof” for the existence of god hanging tenuous in the balance, and Austin, god’s chosen servant, botched his opportunity through his own pride and unwillingness to admit he was wrong.

The same outcome would have been produced had Austin simply disagreed on page 1.  But his ego would not allow it.  He had neither the intelligence to know, nor the testicular fortitude to admit, that he had already been thoroughly and soundly thrashed by the hand of the Almighty Mod. 

But what if Austin had chosen to agree?  It would have certainly lent credibility to his claim that logic is indeed the absolute standard for reasoning.  But it would have had the unfortunate side effect of disproving the existence of the bible god—the imaginary friend he values even more than his own integrity.  Because Austin knows that god cannot be both all-loving and all-powerful and still allow 10 year old children to be sold into sexual slavery and brutally raped on a daily basis.  But his dull mind, befogged and befuddled by cognitive dissonance, simply can’t grasp that the biggest lie of all is the one he tells himself: that god is real, and loves Austin, and will protect Austin from death and hell.  

Bless his heart.

He was placed in an impossible situation in which admitting the truth would have revealed the lie, not to us, but to himself—the one person he can absolutely never allow the lie to be revealed to.  Doubtless, he will sleep sounder tonight, knowing that his mind is safely tucked away in a web of its own self-deceptive weaving. 

Goodnight, little boy; sleep tight.

• Thanks 1