Goodbye Jesus

My experience of learning to re-love myself after years of emotional turmoil in the Mormon Church

SarahJones

I was raised within the Mormon faith since birth up until a couple of years ago. All of my family were devout Mormons and life centred solely around the Church growing up. I married my husband in the Church and we raised our own children within the Mormon faith, up until a couple of years ago when we decided that enough was enough.

I have finally learnt after leaving the Church that my body is not something to be ashamed of or embarrassed about - my experience of learning to love and accept myself for who I am 🙂

I have always suffered body anxiety and self confidence issues which has caused me untold social anxiety. Having grown up in the Church I was always told to cover myself up and taught to basically hide myself away as if my body were some sort of 'embarrassment' which I did as I knew nothing different. Due to various reasons my husband and I decided to leave the Church recently and am finally learning to love and accept my body! The way I was taught and brought up seems so ridiculous to me now.

I have recently undergone therapy where I am beginning to unwrap my fears and anxiety and learning to love myself again. I have bought a whole new wardrobe and am loving life!

I am so proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone one step at a time! I will slowly start to love my body and get over my social anxiety.

PS. To the Bishop who told me that my behind was too distracting in Church so I should wear baggy clothes to hide it, you can kiss my big butt! I wish I could ask him how distracting am I now standing in front of you showing off my panties?

Apologies but I needed to get that rant off of my chest! Thank-you to my husband for being my spontaneous photographer half way through cooking dinner yesterday! (and apologies to our retired lodger Alan for walking into the kitchen as we were taking the picture, oops!!)

Sarah x

Moderator Note:  Image removed at request of the member who posted it.

Not accustomed to getting up-close-and-personal photos from new members especially but hey, to each his own, and we’re not known for being prudish around here…

More importantly, welcome to the community, and congratulations to you both on exiting the cult!  Indoctrination from infancy is quite something to overcome, so congratulations are certainly in order.  Having your husband on the same page in this regard makes a huge difference, as I’m sure you realize.  

Have you both exited Christianity completely by now?

As I said, overcoming religious indoctrination like this is a big deal, so I hope you’ll share your story with us in due course.  But for now, welcome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TABA said:

Not accustomed to getting up-close-and-personal photos from new members especially but hey, to each his own, and we’re not known for being prudish around here…

More importantly, welcome to the community, and congratulations to you both on exiting the cult!  Indoctrination from infancy is quite something to overcome, so congratulations are certainly in order.  Having your husband on the same page in this regard makes a huge difference, as I’m sure you realize.  

Have you both exited Christianity completely by now?

As I said, overcoming religious indoctrination like this is a big deal, so I hope you’ll share your story with us in due course.  But for now, welcome!

Apologies, I hope I haven't caused any offense! Thank-you so much for the warm welcome into the group and for your kind words :) Yes we both made the decision to leave the Church together with our children, which made the process so much more bearable (although it was still difficult) but we are so glad that we made the decision for our family x

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

You'll find a lot of people around here who show their ass on occasion.  Not literally, though.

• Haha 1

Welcome!  Hey, what happened to the photo??

For me the hardest thing about leaving was disappointing family and friends, of whom most were church members.  But 30 uears later I'm glad I left.  Haven't had to take any antidepressants since.