Goodbye Jesus

Jesus was number 17

Sexton Blake

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors; Or, Christianity Before Christ, Containing New, Startling, and Extraordinary Revelations in Religious History, which Disclose the Oriental Origin of All the Doctrines, Principles, Precepts, and Miracles of the Christian New Testament, and Furnishing a Key for Unlocking Many of Its Sacred Mysteries, Besides Comprising the History of 16 Heathen Crucified Gods is an 1875 book written by American freethinker Kersey Graves,[1] which asserts that Jesus was not an actual person, but was a creation largely based on earlier stories of deities or god-men saviours who had been crucified and descended to and ascended from the underworld. Parts were reprinted in The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read edited by Tim C. Leedom in 1994, and it was republished in its entirety in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Sixteen_Crucified_Saviors

Here is Graves' main list, arranged chronologically:

He also lists a number of other holy figures who took the form of men and then ascended into heaven, including:

Jesus was just one of a very big crowd. In light of this, he was never anything special when taken in the right context.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, Sexton Blake said:

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors; Or, Christianity Before Christ, Containing New, Startling, and Extraordinary Revelations in Religious History, which Disclose the Oriental Origin of All the Doctrines, Principles, Precepts, and Miracles of the Christian New Testament, and Furnishing a Key for Unlocking Many of Its Sacred Mysteries, Besides Comprising the History of 16 Heathen Crucified Gods is an 1875 book written by American freethinker Kersey Graves,[1] which asserts that Jesus was not an actual person, but was a creation largely based on earlier stories of deities or god-men saviours who had been crucified and descended to and ascended from the underworld. Parts were reprinted in The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read edited by Tim C. Leedom in 1994, and it was republished in its entirety in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Sixteen_Crucified_Saviors

Here is Graves' main list, arranged chronologically:

He also lists a number of other holy figures who took the form of men and then ascended into heaven, including:

Jesus was just one of a very big crowd. In light of this, he was never anything special when taken in the right context.

I only have read about sixty pages and am constantly amazed by what I am reading. I knew next-to-nothing of this material and only had heard snippets about some of the claims.

Where have these facts been for well over a century? How can Christianity survive aganist it all (that's a rhetorical question, Christianity will survive because people need a prop and an idea to follow, however tenuous or naive or foolish).

Thanks for highlighting the book - unputdownable.

I cannot imagine what would happen if I shared it with some of my fundamentalist friends!

• Thanks 1

Richard Carrier has tried to keep to a conservative list for debate purposes, but even then, the point is well made that the christ myth is mundane and unoriginal at best. Even by conservative standards.

11 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Richard Carrier has tried to keep to a conservative list for debate purposes, but even then, the point is well made that the christ myth is mundane and unoriginal at best. Even by conservative standards.

That's what I felt. It seems at times that Graves is 'protesting too much' but if you whittle it down to 25% it still is convincing!