Goodbye Jesus

what is time absent?

Voice

Haven't talked to you for some years now. There was so much internal conflict I had to leave. Even my admirable ex-c niece wouldn't join up here for all of it. She was looking for like minded community and said this wasn't the kind of community she wanted. She was right to say it so and right to not sign up.

This doesn't mean I haven't made some good, lasting, supportive friends here. I have.

Just checking in today to see if things have settled down some. Hope so. This is a place where people should be supportive of those coming out of abusive mindfuck situations who need help. I hope it still is.

So. I like how the ex-christian life forum has merged with what was the separate creative works forum. Good move, moderators.

How many of you who are still here remember me from years past?

• Super Moderator

Welcome back, @Voice.  Hope you'll stick around.

There was a shakeup a few years back. The angry stuff was causing some folks to leave. I haven't seen anything like that since, and I'm glad. We did lose some people in the process, but I think the site is more welcoming now. 

I've been here 4 years now and it seems calmer now than when I came.  But now the problem seems to be very few new ex-es coming our way.   Most discussion seems to be between regulars.

• Super Moderator

Welcome back to the forums, Voice! As is usually the case, one or two turds can befoul an entire ocean. Better now.

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

I've been here 4 years now and it seems calmer now than when I came.  But now the problem seems to be very few new ex-es coming our way.   Most discussion seems to be between regulars.

That seems to be a cycle going on for more than four years.

3 hours ago, florduh said:

That seems to be a cycle going on for more than four years.

Is it just my imagination, or are the "dry spells" getting longer?

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Is it just my imagination, or are the "dry spells" getting longer?

I have the same impression.

21 hours ago, Weezer said:

But now the problem seems to be very few new ex-es coming our way

I think one of the competing factors is the ex-Christian support group on Facebook where eveyone seems to be very supportive and friendly, especially with new members who are struggling with common issues.  Its a private group and I'm a member, but the biggest detractor is lack of anonymity. To my knowledge, there is no way to remain anonymous within the group and you have to be careful about your settings so that other FB friends cannot see your membership. (Something I failed to do when I first joined). One day I hope to not give a shit about going public with my atheism.

The FB group has over 600 members and is growing everyday. I guess thays a good thing. That being said, Ive always enjoyed the discussions on this site. The dialogue on FB is a lot less cerebral (IMHO) than this website.

• Like 2

Yep.  I imagine that social media has eroded a fair bit of support from indy websites.  They offer a sort of "one stop shop" convenience for folks who don't want to wander the webs looking for things.

mwc