Goodbye Jesus

Hello!

T_E_Smith

Hello everyone, glad to be here. I'm a former Baptist, grown up in a strict Baptist home but began my de-conversion process around my sixteenth birthday. I'm still living with my parents and it's difficult, but atheism has liberated my mind and I'd never go back. Looking forward to interacting with everyone!

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums.  After perusing your blog site, I am looking forward to hearing more from you.  I especially appreciated your treatise on the pledge of allegiance.  I have a son who is Vietnamese and another who is half-Ukrainian.  I have told them both that if they do not want to pledge allegiance to a flag that doesn't represent their heritage and culture, then they are under no obligation to do so.  My brave boys.

• Like 1

Welcome.

Quote: atheism has liberated my mind

Yes indeed. I like to say, provocatively, that I was 'surprised by joy' and my 'pilgrimage' (why should christians have sole use of a good word?) continues daily and happily.

• Like 2

Welcome!

I hope you will find truth, and that the truth sets you free.

Leaving my former Christian belief behind taught me what I should have learned long before:

human minds close far, far more easily than they open.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

Yes indeed. I like to say, provocatively, that I was 'surprised by joy'

It cracks me up that most of the christians I know would never catch this reference.  Every time you use this expression, I have a little private chuckle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome!  You figured things out early in life.  I wrestled with it for years and finally decided I was agnostic.  After leaving religion was able to stop taking the antideprssants I took for years, and have never been more at peace with myself and the world.  But it has caused problems with some extended family and friends.

I am curious as to how you came to the decision to leave religion.  Feel free to post about that in the TESTIMOMY forum.  Or here.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:30 PM, T_E_Smith said:

Hello everyone, glad to be here. I'm a former Baptist, grown up in a strict Baptist home but began my de-conversion process around my sixteenth birthday. I'm still living with my parents and it's difficult, but atheism has liberated my mind and I'd never go back. Looking forward to interacting with everyone!

Yeah, pretty sure you'll like it here :) Have fun.