Goodbye Jesus

Florida Announces Ban on Textbooks Mentioning "Uranus" and "Black Hole"

T_E_Smith

In the interest of "protecting our children from being led down the road of sodomy", Florida has just announced a list of nearly fifty banned science textbooks that talk about Uranus and black holes. (satire)

• Haha 5

Is this why the Professor mentioned in Futurama that they had renamed it Urectum in 2620?

And a guy in Florida who thinks like us is challenging the Bible. He's filed with 63 Florida school districts claiming that the sex and violence in the Bible is not suitable for kids. 

From the story: 

His three-page petition critiques the Bible for its depictions of bestiality and cannibalism, its “eye-popping passages of babies being smashed against the rocks” in Psalms 137 and its “strong pro-slavery position,” citing Ephesians 6:5-7.
“As the Bible casually references ... such topics as murder, adultery, sexual immorality, and fornication — or as I like to think, Date Night Friday Night — do we really want to teach our youth about drunken orgies?” the petition asks.

[T]he Bible is replete with episodes of violence and sexual abuse, including the rape of Dinah in Genesis, which leads her brothers Levi and Simeon to kill every man in the city of Shechem to avenge her honor; the incestuous rape of King David’s daughter Tamar by her half brother Amnon; and the brutal dismemberment of a concubine in Judges. She said the Bible is at least as sexually explicit as some of the books parents are labeling inappropriate, raising the question: Why can the Bible stay in the library when those books have to go?

[H]e knows many people see his efforts to ban the Bible as just the latest triviality in a long line of political pranks.

His colorful history includes campaigning to open city commission meetings with invocations to Satan, erecting a Festivus pole at the Florida Capitol to protest the Christmas Nativity scene and sending butt plugs to misbehaving public officials.

Here's a link to the whole story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/04/28/bible-book-ban-florida/

I note that the news today reports the number one cause of death of American children is guns. No child has ever died from reading a book.

• Like 1

Wow.... I just followed the links in the story I mentioned above. This guy is terrific, and way funny, too. A hero to us. Do follow the links at the bottom of the story. If you can't get to them, here they are:

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-activist-mails-butt-plugs-to-naughty-florida-officials-13451737

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-activist-seeks-satan-salute-20151007-story.html

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfJab

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/festivus-pole-florida_n_4413818

On 4/24/2022 at 1:45 PM, T_E_Smith said:

In the interest of "protecting our children from being led down the road of sodomy", Florida has just announced a list of nearly fifty banned science textbooks that talk about Uranus and black holes. (satire)

I think the sad thing is without you pointing out this is satire, it's not completely unbelievable. Every time I say "surely not..." I find someone lowering that bar a bit further. Never underestimate stupid people. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, older said:

I note that the news today reports the number one cause of death of American children is guns. No child has ever died from reading a book.

You're missing the point, older.

Very young children killed by guns get a free pass to heaven and older children have their souls saved by reading the bible, so those killed by guns go to heaven too.

🙄

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, older said:

No child has ever died from reading a book.

Perhaps not directly; but I wonder how many children have died because of parents, holy men, people in authority reading the bible, koran, and other "sacred" texts.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

Very young children killed by guns get a free pass to heaven

Very young children who die get a free pass to heaven, known as the "age of accountability".  This doctrine always made me wonder why christians are always so vehemently opposed to abortion.  Isn't it like the ultimate "Get Out of Hell Free" card?

• Like 1

I mean, yeah, the Bible has all kinds of inappropriate things. Including gay sex which Florida is so disturbed over. Ephesians 6 teaches "wokeness" since reading it might happen to remind young white students of civilizations sordid past.