Goodbye Jesus

Don't know where to begin so I thought I'd start here

MusicalTheatreManiac

Hello to my fellow heathens,

Just thought I would post a short(ish) message outlining my journey away from Christian belief and towards rationalism.  It all started about three years ago when I got into a lot of trouble with the police over something I wish I hadn't done (but did as an alternative to committing more serious offences).  When I was honest enough to admit my wrongdoing to the leadership of my church, I was called into the church office and made to sign a document committing to no longer attending Sunday services at the church.  Basically, I was shunned rather than given the support that I needed at a difficult time, seen as a threat despite serving the church in whatever way I could for the better part of ten years and never doing any harm to anybody.  When Covid-19 broke out and we found ourselves isolated from one another, I started reading literature that looked at Christianity from a different angle, instead of the Christian apologetics I was used to.  The likes of Bart Ehrman and Dan Barker have been very helpful to me in this regard.  My investigations led me to realise that I could no longer take Christianity seriously from an intellectual perspective, and I was forced to admit, unwillingly, that I could no longer call myself a Christian.  The closest I could get to Christianity now would probably be the Unitarians or the Quakers.  I have no belief in the Christian deity and consequently cannot take Jesus seriously as saviour.  I admit to missing my Church community, many of whom were good to me over the years. but I will not miss the struggle to subscribe to beliefs that often seemed to make very little logical sense.  I hope to be able to to gain some assistance from the members of this forum in my journey away from theistic belief, and I hope to be of help to others in return.

• Like 5

Hi @MusicalTheatreManiac and welcome to this community!  It has been a little over six years since I posted my own introduction here.  I well remember the sense of relief (and also nervousness!) I felt in sharing with others for the first time the fact that I was no longer a Christian, and being warmly welcomed into a community of non-believers.  I hope it feels equally good to you!  I have made some good friends here and I am happy to have been able to help and encourage others who came along later.   

12 minutes ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

The likes of Bart Ehrman and Dan Barker have been very helpful to me in this regard.  My investigations led me to realise that I could no longer take Christianity seriously from an intellectual perspective, and I was forced to admit, unwillingly, that I could no longer call myself a Christian.

Those names are familiar to all of us here, especially Ehrman.  I am currently reading one of his books, Jesus Interrupted and it’s a great read.   
Your arrival at the point of reluctant rejection of Christianity is so familiar.  I think there are two kinds of people who examine the claims of Christianity: the first type continues in their faith even after seeing the problems with it, either because of the benefits they get from believing, or because of the fear of damnation in case they are wrong. The second type actually walks away from Christianity.  I am glad I belong to that second group because I have gained some invaluable benefits as a result, and I think you will too.  As you said…

25 minutes ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

I will not miss the struggle to subscribe to beliefs that often seemed to make very little logical sense.

So I’m glad you’ve joined us. I look forward to hearing more from you!

Hi and welcome, good to have you with us.

It never ceases to amaze me how churches behave. Often it goes against logic, certainly against kindness and love.

Reading has helped me tremendously.

I am just about to try to find the energy to do some writing - the emotions that I have experienced, both uncomfortable and, far outweighing those, the positives since I began this adventure. It has been a roller-coaster journey since I gave up on god after 60 years a Christian.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome MTM.

Welcome MTM,

I recognise your story as parts of it feel like mine. Well done having the courage to leave.

10 hours ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

Hello to my fellow heathens,

Just thought I would post a short(ish) message outlining my journey away from Christian belief and towards rationalism.  It all started about three years ago when I got into a lot of trouble with the police over something I wish I hadn't done (but did as an alternative to committing more serious offences).  When I was honest enough to admit my wrongdoing to the leadership of my church, I was called into the church office and made to sign a document committing to no longer attending Sunday services at the church.  Basically, I was shunned rather than given the support that I needed at a difficult time, seen as a threat despite serving the church in whatever way I could for the better part of ten years and never doing any harm to anybody.  When Covid-19 broke out and we found ourselves isolated from one another, I started reading literature that looked at Christianity from a different angle, instead of the Christian apologetics I was used to.  The likes of Bart Ehrman and Dan Barker have been very helpful to me in this regard.  My investigations led me to realise that I could no longer take Christianity seriously from an intellectual perspective, and I was forced to admit, unwillingly, that I could no longer call myself a Christian.  The closest I could get to Christianity now would probably be the Unitarians or the Quakers.  I have no belief in the Christian deity and consequently cannot take Jesus seriously as saviour.  I admit to missing my Church community, many of whom were good to me over the years. but I will not miss the struggle to subscribe to beliefs that often seemed to make very little logical sense.  I hope to be able to to gain some assistance from the members of this forum in my journey away from theistic belief, and I hope to be of help to others in return.

Yeah, logic should always be involved with any belief or action. Your first post here, great.  You will read about many here that have struggled with logic as it relates to Christianity and religion in general. Because of this, many now call themselves theists, others agnostics, and atheists like myself. Many here understand the problems related to the pressures applied by some Christian churches and members, so I expect you will find inspiration when talking with our members who have had similar experiences as yourself and have moved on to a happier life.

best of luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks for all your replies to my post.  I am grateful for your support, it takes a great deal of difficulty to walk away from a system of belief and a community that has been part of my life for many years.

I would like to take this opportunity to outline, as briefly as I can, my reasons for rejecting Christian belief (maybe I should also post this in another part of the forum).

(1) I find the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent god to be logically incoherent.

(2) If such a god exists, I find it difficult to believe that it would choose to communicate its message to humanity via a tribe of pre-scientific, barely literate nomads wandering around the Middle Eastern desert 3000 years ago.  Yahweh was no more than one tribal god among many in that area at that time.

(3) The Bible is a mess of inconsistencies, immorality and historical nonsense with no more validity to be called the Word of God than the Harry Potter books.

(4) I cannot trust the Gospels as an accurate account of the teachings and actions of Jesus of Nazareth.

(5) I find the idea of original sin (which was actually invented by Augustine) to be a revolting illogicality.  Furthermore, I consider teaching children that they are inherently sinful to be a form of mental abuse, and I object strongly to the Christian emphasis upon sin, preferring to focus on human goodness and potential.

(6) I believe that science points away from the existence of a deity, or at least the creator postulated by the monotheistic religions.

(7) I do not consider that any form of religious belief id necessary as a foundation for morality.  All that is required is a desire to contribute positively to the lives of others.

(8) Religion has been a hindrance to social and scientific progress, and has held the development of rights for groups such as women and the LGBT community (and in many parts of the world is continuing to do so).

So there it is.  Thoughts would be appreciated!

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I consider the concept of substitutionary death to be morally repulsive.  If I have done wrong, it is my responsibility to make amends, and mine alone.  But being held responsible for someone else's decision to die in my place, for "sins" I hadn't even committed yet, when I neither asked for nor agreed to such a sacrifice, is next-level narcissistic manipulation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I consider the concept of substitutionary death to be morally repulsive.  If I have done wrong, it is my responsibility to make amends, and mine alone.  But being held responsible for someone else's decision to die in my place, for "sins" I hadn't even committed yet, when I neither asked for nor agreed to such a sacrifice, is next-level narcissistic manipulation.

A rather poorly thought-out plan of salvation on the part of the writers....

• Thanks 1