Jump to content

Don't know where to begin so I thought I'd start here


Recommended Posts

Hello to my fellow heathens,

 

Just thought I would post a short(ish) message outlining my journey away from Christian belief and towards rationalism.  It all started about three years ago when I got into a lot of trouble with the police over something I wish I hadn't done (but did as an alternative to committing more serious offences).  When I was honest enough to admit my wrongdoing to the leadership of my church, I was called into the church office and made to sign a document committing to no longer attending Sunday services at the church.  Basically, I was shunned rather than given the support that I needed at a difficult time, seen as a threat despite serving the church in whatever way I could for the better part of ten years and never doing any harm to anybody.  When Covid-19 broke out and we found ourselves isolated from one another, I started reading literature that looked at Christianity from a different angle, instead of the Christian apologetics I was used to.  The likes of Bart Ehrman and Dan Barker have been very helpful to me in this regard.  My investigations led me to realise that I could no longer take Christianity seriously from an intellectual perspective, and I was forced to admit, unwillingly, that I could no longer call myself a Christian.  The closest I could get to Christianity now would probably be the Unitarians or the Quakers.  I have no belief in the Christian deity and consequently cannot take Jesus seriously as saviour.  I admit to missing my Church community, many of whom were good to me over the years. but I will not miss the struggle to subscribe to beliefs that often seemed to make very little logical sense.  I hope to be able to to gain some assistance from the members of this forum in my journey away from theistic belief, and I hope to be of help to others in return.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Hi @MusicalTheatreManiac and welcome to this community!  It has been a little over six years since I posted my own introduction here.  I well remember the sense of relief (and also nervousness!) I felt in sharing with others for the first time the fact that I was no longer a Christian, and being warmly welcomed into a community of non-believers.  I hope it feels equally good to you!  I have made some good friends here and I am happy to have been able to help and encourage others who came along later.   
 

12 minutes ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

The likes of Bart Ehrman and Dan Barker have been very helpful to me in this regard.  My investigations led me to realise that I could no longer take Christianity seriously from an intellectual perspective, and I was forced to admit, unwillingly, that I could no longer call myself a Christian.


Those names are familiar to all of us here, especially Ehrman.  I am currently reading one of his books, Jesus Interrupted and it’s a great read.   
Your arrival at the point of reluctant rejection of Christianity is so familiar.  I think there are two kinds of people who examine the claims of Christianity: the first type continues in their faith even after seeing the problems with it, either because of the benefits they get from believing, or because of the fear of damnation in case they are wrong. The second type actually walks away from Christianity.  I am glad I belong to that second group because I have gained some invaluable benefits as a result, and I think you will too.  As you said…

25 minutes ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

I will not miss the struggle to subscribe to beliefs that often seemed to make very little logical sense.


So I’m glad you’ve joined us. I look forward to hearing more from you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome, good to have you with us.

It never ceases to amaze me how churches behave. Often it goes against logic, certainly against kindness and love.

Reading has helped me tremendously.

I am just about to try to find the energy to do some writing - the emotions that I have experienced, both uncomfortable and, far outweighing those, the positives since I began this adventure. It has been a roller-coaster journey since I gave up on god after 60 years a Christian.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome MTM,

 

I recognise your story as parts of it feel like mine. Well done having the courage to leave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

Hello to my fellow heathens,

 

Just thought I would post a short(ish) message outlining my journey away from Christian belief and towards rationalism.  It all started about three years ago when I got into a lot of trouble with the police over something I wish I hadn't done (but did as an alternative to committing more serious offences).  When I was honest enough to admit my wrongdoing to the leadership of my church, I was called into the church office and made to sign a document committing to no longer attending Sunday services at the church.  Basically, I was shunned rather than given the support that I needed at a difficult time, seen as a threat despite serving the church in whatever way I could for the better part of ten years and never doing any harm to anybody.  When Covid-19 broke out and we found ourselves isolated from one another, I started reading literature that looked at Christianity from a different angle, instead of the Christian apologetics I was used to.  The likes of Bart Ehrman and Dan Barker have been very helpful to me in this regard.  My investigations led me to realise that I could no longer take Christianity seriously from an intellectual perspective, and I was forced to admit, unwillingly, that I could no longer call myself a Christian.  The closest I could get to Christianity now would probably be the Unitarians or the Quakers.  I have no belief in the Christian deity and consequently cannot take Jesus seriously as saviour.  I admit to missing my Church community, many of whom were good to me over the years. but I will not miss the struggle to subscribe to beliefs that often seemed to make very little logical sense.  I hope to be able to to gain some assistance from the members of this forum in my journey away from theistic belief, and I hope to be of help to others in return.

 

Yeah, logic should always be involved with any belief or action. Your first post here, great.  You will read about many here that have struggled with logic as it relates to Christianity and religion in general. Because of this, many now call themselves theists, others agnostics, and atheists like myself. Many here understand the problems related to the pressures applied by some Christian churches and members, so I expect you will find inspiration when talking with our members who have had similar experiences as yourself and have moved on to a happier life.

 

best of luck :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.