Goodbye Jesus

Why I no longer believe

MusicalTheatreManiac

Having recently joined this fine forum, I would like to take this opportunity to outline, as briefly as I can, my reasons for rejecting Christian belief.

(1) I find the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent god to be logically incoherent.

(2) If such a god exists, I find it difficult to believe that it would choose to communicate its message to humanity via a tribe of pre-scientific, barely literate nomads wandering around the Middle Eastern desert 3000 years ago.  Yahweh was no more than one tribal god among many in that area at that time.

(3) The Bible is a mess of inconsistencies, immorality and historical nonsense with no more validity to be called the Word of God than the Harry Potter books.

(4) I cannot trust the Gospels as an accurate account of the teachings and actions of Jesus of Nazareth.

(5) I find the idea of original sin (which was actually invented by Augustine) to be a revolting illogicality.  Furthermore, I consider teaching children that they are inherently sinful to be a form of mental abuse, and I object strongly to the Christian emphasis upon sin, preferring to focus on human goodness and potential.

(6) I believe that science points away from the existence of a deity, or at least the creator postulated by the monotheistic religions.

(7) I do not consider that any form of religious belief id necessary as a foundation for morality.  All that is required is a desire to contribute positively to the lives of others.

(8) Religion has been a hindrance to social and scientific progress, and has held the development of rights for groups such as women and the LGBT community (and in many parts of the world is continuing to do so).

So there it is.  Thoughts would be appreciated!

• Like 8

An excellent list.  Welcome to Ex-C.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(1) I find the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent god to be logically incoherent.

Correct. 

(2) If such a god exists, I find it difficult to believe that it would choose to communicate its message to humanity via a tribe of pre-scientific, barely literate nomads wandering around the Middle Eastern desert 3000 years ago.  Yahweh was no more than one tribal god among many in that area at that time.

Twice. 

(3) The Bible is a mess of inconsistencies, immorality and historical nonsense with no more validity to be called the Word of God than the Harry Potter books.

Depends on what god means. If god is said to mean everything, then everything is the word of god. Including our words right now...

(4) I cannot trust the Gospels as an accurate account of the teachings and actions of Jesus of Nazareth.

No one can trust the Gospels. It's odd that so many still do. But the numbers are falling. 

(5) I find the idea of original sin (which was actually invented by Augustine) to be a revolting illogicality.  Furthermore, I consider teaching children that they are inherently sinful to be a form of mental abuse, and I object strongly to the Christian emphasis upon sin, preferring to focus on human goodness and potential.

This is a strong focus of the website and forums. It is abusive. It's also pure nonsense which is demonstrably wrong. A non-literal Genesis is to take original sin and toss it aside as an irrelevant situation. Which has been teased out of many a debate in our debate forums.

No literal original sin equates to a domino effect down to the plan of salvation from original sin. Houses of cards sitting atop sand foundations all the way down the line. Liberal christians can't escape it, either. The whole reason for the religion is then reduced to irrelevance. 

(6) I believe that science points away from the existence of a deity, or at least the creator postulated by the monotheistic religions.

True enough. 

(7) I do not consider that any form of religious belief id necessary as a foundation for morality.  All that is required is a desire to contribute positively to the lives of others.

Yes. That's something of a majority view around here. Due to consensus forming while debating christian apologists. Morality existed between people before religions arose and it will no doubt endure the decline of religion into the rest of the 21st century. 

(8) Religion has been a hindrance to social and scientific progress, and has held the development of rights for groups such as women and the LGBT community (and in many parts of the world is continuing to do so).

For sure! If we listened to the bible we'd still be stoning homosexuals, polygamous, own slaves, treat women like private property, and basically live like bronze age savages for the duration of our existence as a species on earth. Not much in the way of progress. 

Thoughts would be appreciated!

I think that you'll find yourself in a lot of good company around here! Welcome aboard! 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 5:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

The first time I heard of self fulfilling prophesies  I thought about original sin, and agree it is a form of mental abuse with children.

You came up with a very good set of reasons.   After being out the church doors 30 years I still find new reasons occasionally.  Those early years of brain washing can really put a hex on people.  WELCOME!

• Like 1

Having recently joined this fine forum, I would like to take this opportunity to outline, as briefly as I can, my reasons for rejecting Christian belief.

Hi MTM, 

There are many reasons to not believe in Christianity or the god of the Bible, and you’ve covered a wide range of them here.  I’ve found that people start to deconvert for various reasons, usually one of those you’ve listed, but the more you learn, the more confidence you gain and the less likely you are to get sucked back in.   One of the goals of this community is to help deconverting people to build up that knowledge.   I know so much more now than when I first deconverted, thanks to the people here.  

MTM, can I ask what caused you to start doubting Christianity in the first place?  Was it one of those objections, or something else?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TABA said:

Hi MTM, 

There are many reasons to not believe in Christianity or the god of the Bible, and you’ve covered a wide range of them here.  I’ve found that people start to deconvert for various reasons, usually one of those you’ve listed, but the more you learn, the more confidence you gain and the less likely you are to get sucked back in.   One of the goals of this community is to help deconverting people to build up that knowledge.   I know so much more now than when I first deconverted, thanks to the people here.  

MTM, can I ask what caused you to start doubting Christianity in the first place?  Was it one of those objections, or something else?

I started seriously doubting Christianity when my church threw me out due to something that I did (which I do not wish to go into here).  Some of these questions I had previously struggled with, particularly the notion of original sin, the necessity of religion for morality, the attitude of the church towards women and the LGBT community and also the concept of Jesus being the exclusive way to God.  Leaving the church gave me an incentive to read more widely and look at the other side of the argument without having to feel guilty about it, and as a result I found the arguments against Christianity far more convincing than arguments in its favour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

I found the arguments against Christianity far more convincing than arguments in its favour.

That's about it. The arguments for are pathetic in ways that most people don't realize until they finally step away and get the bigger perspective. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2022 at 5:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

The first verse of the bible starts with God creating. 

Do tell then how you're so scientific and give evidence this all came about on its own. 

• Super Moderator
5 minutes ago, Johnny said:

The bible is not a reliable source of information. 

10 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The bible is not a reliable source of information. 

THIS was said of the bible in the FIRST comment...

"(2) If such a god exists, I find it difficult to believe that it would choose to communicate its message to humanity via a tribe of pre-scientific, barely literate nomads wandering around the Middle Eastern desert 3000 years ago.  Yahweh was no more than one tribal god among many in that area at that time."

So, have the decency then if the bible is quoted as such above, then you or anyone else show how scientific they are and give evidence creation happened on its own. 

• Super Moderator
1 minute ago, Johnny said:

then you or anyone else show how scientific they are and give evidence creation happened on its own

I have made no such claim; therefore I am under no obligation to provide any evidence.  How could god's existence have happened on its own?

• Super Moderator

Let me ask you this, @Johnny.  Did jesus ever get married and have kids?

7 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I have made no such claim; therefore I am under no obligation to provide any evidence.  How could god's existence have happened on its own?

It was you that said then...

"The bible is not a reliable source of information."

Then if it is not reliable, the you should explain what is the reliable source and give evidence that it did not happen as the bible claims. I clearly put starting in verse one about God creating. You clearly put after that the bible is not a reliable source.  Back up your claims or try to run from them. It's up to you.

SHOW how we actually got all this then with science to back it up. You sure seem to be backing away from your claim now. 

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

You sure seem to be backing away from your claim now. 

My claim is that the bible is not a reliable source of information; and I have every intention of demonstrating that claim.  I have no interest in debating claims I have not made, examples being how the universe began or what might be a reliable source.  I'm not saying you have to get your panties unwadded; but it'd be awful helpful if you did.

Now, back to the reliability of the bible: did jesus ever get married and have kids?

59 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Do tell then how you're so scientific and give evidence this all came about on its own. 

Johnny,

You asked the RedneckProfessor to... 'SHOW how we actually got all this then with science to back it up.'  But I have already explained to you that science does not tell us that the universe came about on its own.

The only person in this forum making the claim that the universe began to exist is you.  And thus far your only source of information for that claim has been the bible.

You asked the Prof to back up his words with science, but before that I asked you to present your evidence that the universe began to exist.  I did that 8 hours ago and despite my gentle reminder and polite invitation, you still haven't got back to me.

So, would you please be so kind as to present your scientific evidence for the universe's creation event, either here or in that other thread?

Thank you,

Walter.

7 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

How could god's existence have happened on its own?

And I am waiting on an answer to this question.  With "proof" of how it happened.

8 hours ago, Johnny said:

give evidence this all came about on its own. 

I don't know how "all of this" originally began.  And you, nor any of us can "prove" how it began.  But we have an idea of how it has evolved through time.  See my signature at the bottom of this post.  That's what I believe after 40 years of being a christian, and over 10 years of studying the history of all religions.  The christian god was a late comer in history, and christianity is mostly a conglomeration of older religions.  I invite you to do like I did and pray that god will help you discern truth, and do the study of the history of gods and religions.  

On 6/29/2022 at 2:14 PM, Johnny said:

It was you that said then...

"The bible is not a reliable source of information."

Then if it is not reliable, the you should explain what is the reliable source and give evidence that it did not happen as the bible claims. I clearly put starting in verse one about God creating. You clearly put after that the bible is not a reliable source.  Back up your claims or try to run from them. It's up to you.

SHOW how we actually got all this then with science to back it up. You sure seem to be backing away from your claim now. 

I strongly suspect you have not studied the science which calls into question many Biblical claims and refutes many others.  Here, you demand that someone else must do that work for you.  Being lazy, disingenuous and smarmy is a poor recipe for intellectual, psychological and emotional health.

Study hard.