Jump to content

Why I no longer believe


Recommended Posts

Having recently joined this fine forum, I would like to take this opportunity to outline, as briefly as I can, my reasons for rejecting Christian belief.

 

(1) I find the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent god to be logically incoherent.

 

(2) If such a god exists, I find it difficult to believe that it would choose to communicate its message to humanity via a tribe of pre-scientific, barely literate nomads wandering around the Middle Eastern desert 3000 years ago.  Yahweh was no more than one tribal god among many in that area at that time.

 

(3) The Bible is a mess of inconsistencies, immorality and historical nonsense with no more validity to be called the Word of God than the Harry Potter books.

 

(4) I cannot trust the Gospels as an accurate account of the teachings and actions of Jesus of Nazareth.

 

(5) I find the idea of original sin (which was actually invented by Augustine) to be a revolting illogicality.  Furthermore, I consider teaching children that they are inherently sinful to be a form of mental abuse, and I object strongly to the Christian emphasis upon sin, preferring to focus on human goodness and potential.

 

(6) I believe that science points away from the existence of a deity, or at least the creator postulated by the monotheistic religions.

 

(7) I do not consider that any form of religious belief id necessary as a foundation for morality.  All that is required is a desire to contribute positively to the lives of others.

 

(8) Religion has been a hindrance to social and scientific progress, and has held the development of rights for groups such as women and the LGBT community (and in many parts of the world is continuing to do so).

 

So there it is.  Thoughts would be appreciated!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An excellent list.  Welcome to Ex-C.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(1) I find the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent god to be logically incoherent.

 

Correct. 

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(2) If such a god exists, I find it difficult to believe that it would choose to communicate its message to humanity via a tribe of pre-scientific, barely literate nomads wandering around the Middle Eastern desert 3000 years ago.  Yahweh was no more than one tribal god among many in that area at that time.

 

Twice. 

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(3) The Bible is a mess of inconsistencies, immorality and historical nonsense with no more validity to be called the Word of God than the Harry Potter books.

 

Depends on what god means. If god is said to mean everything, then everything is the word of god. Including our words right now...

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(4) I cannot trust the Gospels as an accurate account of the teachings and actions of Jesus of Nazareth.

 

No one can trust the Gospels. It's odd that so many still do. But the numbers are falling. 

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(5) I find the idea of original sin (which was actually invented by Augustine) to be a revolting illogicality.  Furthermore, I consider teaching children that they are inherently sinful to be a form of mental abuse, and I object strongly to the Christian emphasis upon sin, preferring to focus on human goodness and potential.

 

This is a strong focus of the website and forums. It is abusive. It's also pure nonsense which is demonstrably wrong. A non-literal Genesis is to take original sin and toss it aside as an irrelevant situation. Which has been teased out of many a debate in our debate forums.

 

No literal original sin equates to a domino effect down to the plan of salvation from original sin. Houses of cards sitting atop sand foundations all the way down the line. Liberal christians can't escape it, either. The whole reason for the religion is then reduced to irrelevance. 

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(6) I believe that science points away from the existence of a deity, or at least the creator postulated by the monotheistic religions.

 

True enough. 

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(7) I do not consider that any form of religious belief id necessary as a foundation for morality.  All that is required is a desire to contribute positively to the lives of others.

 

Yes. That's something of a majority view around here. Due to consensus forming while debating christian apologists. Morality existed between people before religions arose and it will no doubt endure the decline of religion into the rest of the 21st century. 

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

(8) Religion has been a hindrance to social and scientific progress, and has held the development of rights for groups such as women and the LGBT community (and in many parts of the world is continuing to do so).

 

For sure! If we listened to the bible we'd still be stoning homosexuals, polygamous, own slaves, treat women like private property, and basically live like bronze age savages for the duration of our existence as a species on earth. Not much in the way of progress. 

 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

Thoughts would be appreciated!

 

I think that you'll find yourself in a lot of good company around here! Welcome aboard! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 5:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

 

 

(5) I find the idea of original sin (which was actually invented by Augustine) to be a revolting illogicality.  Furthermore, I consider teaching children that they are inherently sinful to be a form of mental abuse, and I object strongly to the Christian emphasis upon sin, preferring to focus on human goodness and potential.

 

 

The first time I heard of self fulfilling prophesies  I thought about original sin, and agree it is a form of mental abuse with children.

You came up with a very good set of reasons.   After being out the church doors 30 years I still find new reasons occasionally.  Those early years of brain washing can really put a hex on people.  WELCOME!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

Having recently joined this fine forum, I would like to take this opportunity to outline, as briefly as I can, my reasons for rejecting Christian belief.


Hi MTM, 

 

There are many reasons to not believe in Christianity or the god of the Bible, and you’ve covered a wide range of them here.  I’ve found that people start to deconvert for various reasons, usually one of those you’ve listed, but the more you learn, the more confidence you gain and the less likely you are to get sucked back in.   One of the goals of this community is to help deconverting people to build up that knowledge.   I know so much more now than when I first deconverted, thanks to the people here.  
 

MTM, can I ask what caused you to start doubting Christianity in the first place?  Was it one of those objections, or something else?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TABA said:


Hi MTM, 

 

There are many reasons to not believe in Christianity or the god of the Bible, and you’ve covered a wide range of them here.  I’ve found that people start to deconvert for various reasons, usually one of those you’ve listed, but the more you learn, the more confidence you gain and the less likely you are to get sucked back in.   One of the goals of this community is to help deconverting people to build up that knowledge.   I know so much more now than when I first deconverted, thanks to the people here.  
 

MTM, can I ask what caused you to start doubting Christianity in the first place?  Was it one of those objections, or something else?

I started seriously doubting Christianity when my church threw me out due to something that I did (which I do not wish to go into here).  Some of these questions I had previously struggled with, particularly the notion of original sin, the necessity of religion for morality, the attitude of the church towards women and the LGBT community and also the concept of Jesus being the exclusive way to God.  Leaving the church gave me an incentive to read more widely and look at the other side of the argument without having to feel guilty about it, and as a result I found the arguments against Christianity far more convincing than arguments in its favour.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
5 hours ago, MusicalTheatreManiac said:

I found the arguments against Christianity far more convincing than arguments in its favour.

 

That's about it. The arguments for are pathetic in ways that most people don't realize until they finally step away and get the bigger perspective. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.