Goodbye Jesus

Heads Up! Possible meteor shower visible in SW USA and Mexico.

walterpthefirst

https://www.amsmeteors.org/2022/05/possible-meteor-outburst-on-may-3031/

Please ignore the typo in the link.  You won't have to wait another thousand years to see this.  Just a few days.

First of all the Earth is predicted to encounter the debris from the 1995 event between 4:45-5:17 Universal Time on Tuesday May 31st. This corresponds to 12:45-1:17am EDT on Tuesday May 31st and 9:45-10:17pm PDT on Monday May 30th. The southwestern USA and Mexico are favored locations as the radiant, the area of the sky where these meteors come from, will be located highest in a dark sky. Alaska and Washington will be bathed in twilight at this time, ruining their chance of seeing anything. The same goes for the north and western Canadian provinces. The outburst may be seen from southeastern Canada and the remainder of the USA, but at a lower altitude. All of Central and South America can see this event, but the radiant will be low in the sky all but the northwest portion of South America.

Enjoy!  (I won't.  ☹️ )

Walter.

• Like 1

Most of the time in the Pacific Northwest, we see clouds. I'm not complaining since that is becoming more rare worldwide. I'll take the rain and lush greenery over drought.

Oregon is overcast.jpg

• Haha 1

Yeah, having lived in Oregon since 1985 my visual astronomy hobby is mostly limited to the summer months.  Those months can be quite nice though.  There are numerous dark sky sites at decent elevations (3,000'+ above seal level) within a one or two hour drive from home.  And, of course, during the summer the night sky is pointing towards the center of the galaxy so there are more interesting objects to observe.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fuego said:

Most of the time in the Pacific Northwest, we see clouds. I'm not complaining since that is becoming more rare worldwide. I'll take the rain and lush greenery over drought.

Oregon is overcast.jpg

Yup, lots of overcast skies  in Oregon and Washington States. I was up in Vancouver Washington for a week or so last fall. I flew into Portland from Los Angeles and drove up to Vancouver Wa., maybe an hour's drive. It's certainly very beautiful up there, greenery and timbers. Maybe a couple of clear days, and a day or so of light rain.

Likewise it has been colder and more overcast than normal down here in Southern California this Spring. It's overcast now but it's supposed to clear up this afternoon and evening the 30th, so hopefully we have a good chance of seeing this meteorite shower this evening the 30th. 

https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/march-2022-forecast-usa-europe-polar-vortex-split-weather-fa/

A couple of days ago I was in Blythe California, a desert town not far from the Arizona border. Perfectly clear and dark skies for the few nights I was there. One could see everything in the sky without light pollution. Probably would have been great for this meteorite viewing but unfortunately I had to leave there a couple of days ago. Southern California is pretty good for such viewings but a little too much light pollution at night in L.A.-- still, if the skies are clear, I expect to see at least some of this event this evening the 30th.

• Like 1

I'm headed to the mountains to about 5500 ft. in the hopes that it will be good. But considering that the last four alleged showers I drove up to see were a bust, I suspect my presence will ruin it for everyone. Sorry.

• Haha 1

Too bad. Overcast last night in L.A. and couldn't see the meteor shower :(  Slightly overcast made the light pollution even worse.

Well, I don't think you missed much. We bailed on the mountain trip and sat out in the back field. Wifey saw 4 and I saw 5, none of which were anything more than routine. Saw 6 airplanes, 5 satellites and one helicopter, and spent most of the time staring at Arcturus. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, older said:

Well, I don't think you missed much. We bailed on the mountain trip and sat out in the back field. Wifey saw 4 and I saw 5, none of which were anything more than routine. Saw 6 airplanes, 5 satellites and one helicopter, and spent most of the time staring at Arcturus. 

Y'all spent some quality time together just gazing at the stars.  I'd say that has more meaning and value than any particular astronomical event or scientific discovery.  

• Like 1