Goodbye Jesus

Religious freedom can work both ways....

older

When Hobby Lobby decided that their religion gave them a pass on the laws regarding women's health care, and the cake baker in Colorado decided he didn't have to follow the law on discrimination because of his religion, I figured that sooner or later someone would use that same excuse to bypass some of the repressive laws passed by the White Christian Taliban. Sure enough, now some religious folks are getting ready to claim that their religion not only accepts, and in at least one case, requires, abortion. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/02/abortion-bans-violate-religious-liberty?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Like 3

On 6/2/2022 at 7:40 PM, older said:

When Hobby Lobby decided that their religion gave them a pass on the laws regarding women's health care, and the cake baker in Colorado decided he didn't have to follow the law on discrimination because of his religion, I figured that sooner or later someone would use that same excuse to bypass some of the repressive laws passed by the White Christian Taliban. Sure enough, now some religious folks are getting ready to claim that their religion not only accepts, and in at least one case, requires, abortion. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/02/abortion-bans-violate-religious-liberty?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Yes, it will be interesting to see how it plays out -- asserting that an abortion ban (or heavy restrictions) will violate religious liberties.

Yeah, I'm also surprised that it is now believed that Roe vs. Wade will be overturned this time, so-called abortion rights.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

Many thought that abortion rights were unconstitutional years ago when they were accepted by the Supreme Court, but now that the precedent of Roe vs. Wade has been ongoing for almost 50 years, it will be interesting to see what the States will do upon final determination. I expect at least the Bible-Belt States will pass many restrictions on abortions, and I expect that many women will then travel out of state to get one. 

Another interesting item that has been reported by multiple sources is that abortion was legal and common at least until the early 19th century. Newspaper advertisements have been found for potions that would induce abortion, and there were no recriminations for actions taken "before quickening," which is when the woman feels the fetus move.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, pantheory said:

I expect at least the Bible-Belt States will pass many restrictions on abortions, and I expect that many women will then travel out of state to get one.

Unfortunately, even that can be quite a burdon on low income women.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, older said:

Sure enough, now some religious folks are getting ready to claim that their religion not only accepts, and in at least one case, requires, abortion. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It will be interesting indeed, and they have a very valid, Constitutional claim.

4 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Unfortunately, even that can be quite a burden on low income women.

True, didn't think of that.

It seems that most christians are not aware of Exodus 21: verse 22.  That indicates that causing a woman to lose a pregnancy is not the same as murder.  I'm not sure the pro-abortion people are aware of that either.  Why aren't they using it in their arguments?

20 hours ago, Weezer said:

It seems that most christians are not aware of Exodus 21: verse 22.  That indicates that causing a woman to lose a pregnancy is not the same as murder.  I'm not sure the pro-abortion people are aware of that either.  Why aren't they using it in their arguments?

That's not what it says.

20220608_192749.jpg