Goodbye Jesus

Telescopic

TheRedneckProfessor

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Hey, Walt, I heard that space smells like seared beef and welding spatter.  Astronauts obviously cannot smell it during space walks; but it lingers in their space suits and they can smell it when they reenter the space station.

Is this true?  And, if so, what causes space to have that particular odor (or odour, if that makes more sense)?

7113763_0.jpg

• Haha 1

Hey, Walt, I heard that space smells like seared beef and welding spatter.  Astronauts obviously cannot smell it during space walks; but it lingers in their space suits and they can smell it when they reenter the space station.

Is this true?  And, if so, what causes space to have that particular odor (or odour, if that makes more sense)?

As you know, there is no air in space. But if they''re welding outside the space station the welding uses and produces gas via tig or gas welding. I would expect this is the gas residue they can smell upon de-suiting. I also can only guess about the odor of sizzling steak.

Hmm... I've not heard about this, Prof.

But I do recall the Apollo astronauts saying that moondust on their spacesuits smelled like gunpowder when they got back into the LEM after walking on the lunar surface.

Probably not a good time to have a smoke!

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, pantheory said:

As you know, there is no air in space. But if they''re welding outside the space station the welding uses and produces gas via tig or gas welding. I would expect this is the gas residue they can smell upon de-suiting. I also can only guess about the odor of sizzling steak.

Not every space walk involves welding, though.  I figure it has something to do with the metals found in comets and asteroids and such. Or maybe solar winds.  

I remembered that Russian cosmonauts reported a loss of taste and smell during their long-haul stays on the Mir and Salyut space stations.  So, a quick internet search on taste and smell in zero g brought this up.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sensoria/201407/smell-taste-and-sight-in-space

Thank you,

Walter.

On 8/7/2022 at 2:14 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Not every space walk involves welding, though.  I figure it has something to do with the metals found in comets and asteroids and such. Or maybe solar winds.  

Not that I can imagine. There's so little gas in space above the Earth that any residue of metals should not be detectable on space suits. During meteor showers, for instance, meteor residue would be in our high atmosphere where meteorites burn up, not at the height of the space station, 250 miles. And such minuscule residue falls rather than rises.

The solar wind is simply proton bombardment, which turns in to odorless hydrogen in our upper atmosphere, the cause of the Aurora Borealis in the northern-most skies, and a similar effect in the southern-most skies. There can be no direct smell of space since space suits have their own air supply from tanks.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, walterpthefirst said:

Remember my prediction: 3-4 years for them to be able to figure it out. They have to identify several elements in the galactic stellar spectrum to better determine the proper redshift of this galaxy. The redshift just of hydrogen alone can be falsely interpreted. They need other clear element redshifts for corroboration.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-james-webb-space-telescope.1010264/page-11

Further news, Pantheory.

Please read the Tuesday posts by pinball1970, mfb and Jonathan Scott.

There might be a calibration issue with the NIRcam instrument.

Thank you,

Walter.

With Webb just at the beginning of a planned 20-plus years of work, astronomers know they have a lot of (discoveries and) changes ahead. One of the astronomers commented in light of less than one months work with James Webb data:   “Right now I find myself lying awake at three in the morning,” Kirkpatrick says, “wondering if everything I’ve ever done is wrong.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-02056-5

• Like 1

Things are definitely in a state of flux, Pantheory.

Anyway, here's two more items of interest.

https://ceers.github.io/overview.html  Cosmic Evolution Early Release Survey

As I read it they're re-doing the same kind of Deep Field as Hubble, but spread across ten different regions of the sky and using three different Infra Red instruments. 

https://www.stsci.edu/jwst/phase2-public/1345.pdf

If you scroll down through this .pdf you'll see that as well as high-redshift galaxies and Lyman Break galaxies, they're also going for Primordial galaxies.  Should be interesting!

I was alerted to CEERS by an article in Astronomy Now, a British astronomical magazine.  But what do you think about the quote  below?

https://glass.astro.ucla.edu/  Grism Lens-Amplified Survey from Space

"Based upon the GLASS data, astronomers lead by Themiya Nanayakkara of Swinburne University of Technology in Australia found that 95% of galaxies between redshifts 4 and 7 (12-12.7 billion years ago/ 1.8 to 1.1 billion years after the Big Bang) are blue star-forming galaxies with little dust, and their existence mean the early universe must have been dominated by smaller galaxies that grew and merged to form the galaxies we see today."

?

On 7/22/2022 at 11:48 PM, walterpthefirst said:

This is for your attention, Pantheory.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2207.09428.pdf

I am not wedded to any particular model of cosmic origins and am not afraid or bothered by new data.

I tentatively accept this and look forward to further developments.

Thank you,

Walter.

This popped up for my attention today, over at Physics Forums, Pantheory.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-is-this-jwst-paper-a-cause-for-panic.1017069/

(Scroll down to the post by collinsmark)

I wish it was explained why the appearance of well-behaved, disk-shaped galaxies in the JWST images isn't a problem for the LCDM model.

Thank you,

Walter.

• Like 1

Thank you for this video, collinsmark.

Unfortunately, instead of easing my confusion about this issue, it's increased it.

The speaker explains that the HST is a visible light telescope and so the extremely distant galaxies appearing in its Deep Field images appear to be irregular in shape. Whereas, because the JWST is an infrared telescope, it gives us a more complete image, showing them to be disks. That's fine, I can understand that.

So, irregular-looking galaxies in the very early universe would seem to fit in with the hierarchical model of galaxy formation - where the large and well-behaved disk galaxies we see nearer to us are built up over time. Therefore, if the distant irregular HST galaxies are actually disk galaxies and the extremely distant galaxies in the JWST images are also disks, how could these well-behaved systems evolve so quickly?

Any help given to resolve my confusion would be very much appreciated?

Thank you,

Cerenkov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted the above response to collinsmark's video, Pantheory.

Hopefully some of the scientists who run Physics Forums will be able to cast some light on this.

Thank you,

Walter.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, walterpthefirst said:

Thank you for this video, collinsmark.

Unfortunately, instead of easing my confusion about this issue, it's increased it.

The speaker explains that the HST is a visible light telescope and so the extremely distant galaxies appearing in its Deep Field images appear to be irregular in shape. Whereas, because the JWST is an infrared telescope, it gives us a more complete image, showing them to be disks. That's fine, I can understand that.

So, irregular-looking galaxies in the very early universe would seem to fit in with the hierarchical model of galaxy formation - where the large and well-behaved disk galaxies we see nearer to us are built up over time. Therefore, if the distant irregular HST galaxies are actually disk galaxies and the extremely distant galaxies in the JWST images are also disks, how could these well-behaved systems evolve so quickly?

Any help given to resolve my confusion would be very much appreciated?

Thank you,

Cerenkov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted the above response to collinsmark's video, Pantheory.

Hopefully some of the scientists who run Physics Forums will be able to cast some light on this.

Thank you,

Walter.

I am a member of Physics Forum of those who provide answers.  I stopped posting there for the most part after a couple of years of posting, maybe 12 years ago,  because it was explained to me by those in charge (equivalent to our moderators) that those providing answers must stick to mainstream explanations only -- even if it is clearly stated within the posting that this was an alternative explanation possibility that IMO better fit the observation being discussed, and the preferred mainstream explanation was also given.

I sometimes would put a preamble to my postings there if I disagreed with my own answer, by saying at the beginning of the posting something like " According to most versions of mainstream cosmology ....." I was told not to include such a preamble because it was already presumed. Opinions must be identified as such and relate to the Big Bang model.

I agree with you Walter. The Physics Forum is a good place to get mainstream cosmology answers within the gamut of mainstream cosmology possibilities.  They have a great many knowledgeable members, some of which can provide mainstream answers for some of the most difficult questions.

Good news, Pantheory.

With help from the guys at Physics Forums I've found this.  https://astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html

On the left is a panel where we can input the redshift values (z) of a galaxy we are interested in, hit the General button  and then see its age in relation to the Big Bang displayed on the right.

As far as I can work out the values of the other boxes should remain unchanged because they are set to the accepted values of our universe.  But, if we want we can toggle between Open and Flat to see how our calculations are affected by the geometry of living in an Open or Flat universe.

By experimenting we can also use this calculator in reverse.  So, if we already know how old a galaxy is in relation to the Big Bang we can work out its redshift by inputting various values of z in the box and matching the result as closely as we can to the known age of that galaxy.

Methinks that this little gizmo will help us both understand more about the HST and JWST data and future announcements about extremely distant galaxies.

Thank you,

Walter.

21 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

Good news, Pantheory.

With help from the guys at Physics Forums I've found this.  https://astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html

On the left is a panel where we can input the redshift values (z) of a galaxy we are interested in, hit the General button  and then see its age in relation to the Big Bang displayed on the right.

As far as I can work out the values of the other boxes should remain unchanged because they are set to the accepted values of our universe.  But, if we want we can toggle between Open and Flat to see how our calculations are affected by the geometry of living in an Open or Flat universe.

By experimenting we can also use this calculator in reverse.  So, if we already know how old a galaxy is in relation to the Big Bang we can work out its redshift by inputting various values of z in the box and matching the result as closely as we can to the known age of that galaxy.

Methinks that this little gizmo will help us both understand more about the HST and JWST data and future announcements about extremely distant galaxies.

Thank you,

Walter.

Thanks Walter. That’s a very cool distance calculator

The one I’ve always used is this one.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Astro/hubble.html

The Pan Theory distance formula, which i formulated years ago,  calculates galactic distances to be farther away and older than the Hubble distance formula could allow, To compare it to the Hubble distance formula. Here are the results:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Comparing_Hubble_calculated_distanceswith_Pan_Theory

https://www.researchgate.net/publication

/348973177_An_Experiment_comparing_Angular_Diameter_Distances_between_Pairs_of_Quasars

https://encyclopedia.pub/entry/history/show/244

Comparing the Hubble distance formula to the Pan Theory distance formula

https://docslib.org/doc/3746792/cover-illustration-by-je-mullat-the-big-bang-and-the-big-crunch

https://www.pantheory.org/hubble-formula/

So for the Pan Theory, distances and galactic ages (and brightnesses) would calculate to be very different (farther and older) at the greatest redshifts -- with no age limit to the universe (not meaning that the universe would be infinitely old or large.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

I am hereby giving Orion's Belt a 3-star review.  It's just a big waist of space.

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2022 at 11:23 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I am hereby giving Orion's Belt a 3-star review.  It's just a big waist of space.

That's true. 90% of the universe appears to be just a big waist of space, which would not include our infinitesimal part of it IMO.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Good one prof, thanks for making me laugh. It's little things like this that brightens ones day. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Good one prof, thanks for making me laugh. It's little things like this that brightens ones day. :D

Oh god no, don’t encourage him…

• Haha 3

• Super Moderator
57 minutes ago, TABA said:

Oh god no, don’t encourage him…

Sirius-ly?!  What is the Cygni-ficance of that remark?

Sirius-ly?!  What is the Cygni-ficance of that remark?

Nice adverb and adjective break down. Like the young girl said to me (must be 18 or older to apply) :), are you multii-lingual? My response:  depends upon what you need but probably I am for sure.

• Super Moderator
45 minutes ago, pantheory said:

Nice adverb and adjective beak down. Like the young girl said to me (must be 18 or older to apply) :), are you multii-lingual? My response:  depends upon what you need but probably I am for sure.

How cunning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

How cunning.

Yeah, something like cunninglingus for sure.

• 1 month later...

image.png

This is the latest James Webb, Oct. 30, 2022. Called the Pillars of Heaven, or  the

Pillars of Creation. It's an area in our galaxy where many new stars are being created and  born,

It's a very familiar area of our galaxy with a new infra-red perspective.  Some of the stars in these arms have never been seen before.