Goodbye Jesus

Galatians 2:20 and identity

Samuel

It’s been several years since I’ve been on this forum but I continue to support and appreciate it because I know how hard it was for me to get free of religion.

Last week was a pretty rough week. A friend almost ended his life and I and several others managed to talk him down. I was pretty shaken by the whole experience. The friend is a gay special ed teacher and he like myself have had struggles in fitting into the gay community. 

One of the beliefs I hated in Christianity was Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.

This idea was used by my mother to basically, in my estimation, cause me to disassociate from my identity and person hood during developmental periods of my life. 

After this emotionally draining experience with my suicidal friend I felt so lost and this awful feeling of non-person hood just came back and I’m still struggling to reconnect.

I’m looking for gay group therapy to take myself and friend to, but I’m posting because of the strange re-emergence of the galation 2:20 Christian related trauma that it brought up. I had this moment of just exhaustion where I just didn’t feel like anyone. Maybe I’ll start a new group in the gay community, the no longer I non-identity identity for ex Christians who’ve been smashed to pieces and can’t really make a go of picking the pieces up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"...I no longer live, but Christ lives within me. "

Just more wordplay, an attempt to sound all mysterious, enigmatic, and 'spiritual'.

• Like 1

This concept reminds me of a comment a drill sargent made when I was in basic training.  When he asked a recruit why he had done something, the recruit replied, "well, I thought I......"  The drill sargent stopped him mid sentence and yelled, "you're not here to think.  You are here to obey orders."  Machines that don't think ---- just obey authority is what the military and cults want.  And is what some who have lost their self confidence want from religion.  

But it is obvious you found the strength to think for yourself, and I'm glad you helped pull your friend through a difficult time.  Living in southern Calif, will it be difficult to find a support group?  Or strart one?  I would think there is a definite need for one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

But it is obvious you found the strength to think for yourself, and I'm glad you helped pull your friend through a difficult time.  Living in southern Calif, will it be difficult to find a support group?  Or strart one?  I would think there is a definite need for one.

I think there are some quality atheist groups out here. It’s a good idea to reconnect with them. 

• Like 1