Goodbye Jesus

EYE WITNESS TO THE GODS

Weezer

I just finished reading Eye Witness to The Gods:  What I kept secret for decades, by Erich Von Daniken.  (Ebook from Kindle)  It is mainly some bits and pieces of stuff he had not put into his previous books and movies.  I found chapter 2 interesting, called, "Fairytales for Christians".  It is mainly about an encounter he had with some people from India about the life of Jesus after his crucifiction.  They say he didn't die on the cross and was smuggled out of the country to India where he got married, had children, died and was buried there.  His mother had accompanied him on the long trip but died and was buried along the way.  For me it was interesting reading, and if he actually lived, the story seems plausible.  You can visit his supposed grave in Srinagar, Kashmir, India.  Also it says Jesus and John the Baptist were students at an Essene monastery, and that much of Jesus teaching came almost directly from them.  Some of the references to Indian Vedas and "spaceships" was also interesting.  The more I read about religions older than christianity, the more I see how christianity is a deck of cards, borrowed from other religions and reshuffled.    

Considering how wrong this guy has been about his other claims I think I'd be pretty inclined to bet against him on whatever he says in this book as well.

Really, all you have to do is look up Nicolas Notovitch to find the origins of this particular storyline but it's become popular/ingrained over the years, as well as being embellished over that time and won't be going away anytime soon (if at all).  This is similar to the religious relics thread.  It's a matter of faith.  If you want this to be the actual story then it is the actual story.  There's no evidence for it whatsoever but it offers a plausible alternative if you wish to believe.

mwc

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

For the record, my prophet, @florduh, is the only one who has ever seen my face.  All others are liars and imposters.  The Prof thy Mod hath spoken.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Weezer said:

.... The more I read about religions older than christianity, the more I see how christianity is a deck of cards, borrowed from other religions and reshuffled.    

Worth repeating.

14 hours ago, mwc said:

Considering how wrong this guy has been about his other claims I think I'd be pretty inclined to bet against him on whatever he says in this book as well.

Really, all you have to do is look up Nicolas Notovitch to find the origins of this particular storyline but it's become popular/ingrained over the years, as well as being embellished over that time and won't be going away anytime soon (if at all).  This is similar to the religious relics thread.  It's a matter of faith.  If you want this to be the actual story then it is the actual story.  There's no evidence for it whatsoever but it offers a plausible alternative if you wish to believe.

mwc

12 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

For the record, my prophet, @florduh, is the only one who has ever seen my face.  All others are liars and imposters.  The Prof thy Mod hath spoken.

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions and missed my point.  I am aware of Von Daniknen's fantasies, but if you have studied the subject of aliens outside his material, there are definitely some possibilities there.  With the vastness of the material from all around the world, even primitive areas, and over thousands of years, indicates there is something going on.  Don't judge that until you have studied it.  But that is not what I am getting at.   And the Indians he was talking with were NOT saying Jesus came to India to study.  I had heard that before and decided it was not true.  He evidently studied with the Essenes close to his homeland, who had had a lot of eastern influence, which is what the book indicates.  I had came to that conclusion before.  The sermon on the mount evidently was almost word for word from Essene teachings.

I am not saying Jesus did not die, and escaped to India.  I am saying the logic of it happening as the Indians claim, is believeable, And the story is a possibility.  When you close your mind to possibilities, you close your mind to finding new truths.  Isn't that what we say the christians are doing??

In my 40 years of looking at the big picture of religion, I went through a phase of believing Jesus had been "fabricated".  But by leaving the door open to possibilities and studying more material, I redecided he very well could have existed as a mortal man.  If you haven't read it, see "In Defense of Jesus" in the Testimonials.  All in the interest of keeping the doors open to all possibilities.  Even my decisions indicated in my signature below is open to considering new evidence.  I would bet my life It will not happen, but if "god" miriculously appeared on world wide TV and all social media at the same time and declared himself, I would change my mind about god.  HA! or believe someone had pulled off one GIANT hoax, and a WHOPPER of an electronic feat.

5 hours ago, Weezer said:

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions and missed my point.  I am aware of Von Daniknen's fantasies, but if you have studied the subject of aliens outside his material, there are definitely some possibilities there.  With the vastness of the material from all around the world, even primitive areas, and over thousands of years, indicates there is something going on.  Don't judge that until you have studied it.  But that is not what I am getting at.   And the Indians he was talking with were NOT saying Jesus came to India to study.  I had heard that before and decided it was not true.  He evidently studied with the Essenes close to his homeland, who had had a lot of eastern influence, which is what the book indicates.  I had came to that conclusion before.  The sermon on the mount evidently was almost word for word from Essene teachings.

I am not saying Jesus did not die, and escaped to India.  I am saying the logic of it happening as the Indians claim, is believeable, And the story is a possibility.  When you close your mind to possibilities, you close your mind to finding new truths.  Isn't that what we say the christians are doing??

So, I kept looking and I found more.  The story does go back a bit further.  Jesus in India was written a few years before Notovitch wrote his book.  This could be how he came upon the story before he put his spin on it.  It was written by wanna-be messiah who claimed to be Jesus and who also founded the Ahmadiyya movement which is still around today  The person that is cited in the book you mention at the beginning of chapter 2 (Dr. Hassnain), is an adherent.  So Mirza Ghulam Ahmad seems to be the originator of this particular strain of jesus in India story.  You can read the English translation of the text here.  It seems to line-up with the synopsis you presented since I don't have the book (I could only see a preview of it online and the narrative form, while it makes for an easy read, doesn't pack a lot of information into the small preview space).

mwc

• Super Moderator
22 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Thou speakest the truthest, my Son.

On 6/26/2022 at 5:24 AM, mwc said:

There's no evidence for it whatsoever but it offers a plausible alternative if you wish to believe.

I do not wish to believe.  Couldn't care on way or another.  I just found it an interesting take on what happened to Jesus, if he actually existed.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, Weezer said:

I do not wish to believe.  Couldn't care on way or another.  I just found it an interesting take on what happened to Jesus, if he actually existed.

I posted a rant on Jesus surival hypothesis, it does fit the biblical story very well.  If it comes to an option between a real world claim and a supernatural one, the real world claim should be more believable by default.  Of course we don't have enough information to come to a solid conclusion, but it is an interesting thought experiment to play around with. 

• Like 1