Jonathan Godevil

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

RATED MA: Violence, Sexual Violence, Gore.  Reader Discretion Advised

to others I speak in parables, so that,

though seeing, they may not see;

though hearing, they may not understand. Luke 8:10

PROLOGUE:  IN THE BEGINNING…

Jonathan Godevil was a rather complicated man.  Often conflicted and self-contradictory, he was yet held in great esteem by most of his neighbors and was seen as the pillar of his community.  A developer by trade, Jonathan also had interest (and some, limited, skill) in design, inventing, and creative arts.  It was said of him that he was as honest as a man could be, would never lie or cheat; and always had good thoughts toward everyone, thoughts to prosper them and not to harm them, to give them a hope and a future.

But did these thoughts of his extend to his own home?  Jonathan had two children, Johann, the older boy, and Joanna, his little girl.  To the occasional passer-by, he seemed to dote on his kids, lavishing them with love, acts of lovingkindness, and patient understanding.  And casual observers often found him teaching his kids everything from how to make good decisions to how best to deal with unwanted thoughts.

Yet, his kids never quite seemed to be at peace.  While they were generally quarrelsome and often at odds with one another, they would instantly attack any outsider who spoke ill of their father.  Moreover, they were almost always worried about something, even when Jonathan assured them he would take care of it and they should not worry.  

Some of the more curious townsfolk began to question whether this man, to whom everyone looked up with such reverent respect, was really what he seemed to be.  Would a deeper probe into Jonathan’s private life reveal some hidden, dark secret?

• Thanks 1

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator

EPISODE I:  THE SOCCER GAME

One day, Jonathan was at a soccer game in which Johann was playing.  Now, Johann was the star player in his little league; and he was running rings around all of the other kids on the field.  He could go directly from scoring a goal to being the last player between his opponent and his goalie.  Jonathan got to bragging aloud in the stands about his boy.  Every time Johann got the ball, Jonathan would proudly boast: 

“Look at my son!”  

“Have you seen how good he is?”

“I taught him that!”

“Nobody else has a kid as awesome as mine!”

“He’ll play pro one day, you’ll see!”

Now, Stan was another father at the game that day.  Stan’s daughter, Luci, was not very good at soccer.  She was clumsy, slow, and got easily confused when the ball came in her direction.  Stan was, nevertheless, proud of how hard Luci tried; and how she was always willing to get back up and keep trying, despite the setbacks and obstacles she faced.  Jonathan’s bragging really did not sit well with Stan; and he eventually confronted Jonathan about it.

Push came to shove between the two fathers, as tempers grew to nearly beer-gut proportions.  Finally, in a fit of hasty anger, Stan exclaimed: “How about I break both your son's legs with a baseball bat; then we’ll see how good he is at soccer!”

To everyone’s surprise, and horror, Jonathan agreed.

“Sure, break both his legs; just don’t kill him.”

Later, after a prolonged visit to the emergency room, as Jonathan wheeled Johann out to the car, the entire lower half of his body a solid mass of plaster casting, Johann, feebly and between sobs, asked, 

"Daddy… why?”

“The doctor said I may not ever be able to walk again.  He says I can’t play soccer anymore.  Why, daddy?  Why did you let that man hit me with his baseball bat?”

Jonathan flew into a rage, gesturing wildly and whipping himself about like a whirlwind.

“Don’t question me, boy!  There are things you don’t understand!  My ways are higher than yours and you are nobody to question me!"

‐-‐--------------------------------

Do you believe that Jonathan was a terrible father?  Was he an evil person?

This is the same story that the bible tells us in the book of Job.  Job’s entire life was destroyed because Satan called god out on his boastfulness and pride.  

If you believe that Jonathan was an evil father, what does it say about the god of the bible that he would treat his children even worse?

• Thanks 2

• Super Moderator

EPISODE II:  THE CANDY STORE

One day Jonathan was out shopping with Johann and Joanna.  The kids were excited about all the new things they were able to see and experience at the mall that had only recently been built.  There were all sorts of interesting shops and the smells from the food court was absolutely divine.  Jonathan showed the kids the new cinema, explained how to toss a penny into the fountain, and even gave them a little bit of money to spend in the video game arcade. 

Once it was time to leave, Jonathan took Johann and Joanna to the candy store.  Ah, the delights that awaited their eyes–a paradise of sweet and savory sensation!  Jonathan took them around the store, showing them the various types of candies: gobstoppers, lollipops, caramels, chocolates…  Then he gave the kids each $5 and told them,

“You can have anything you want; but if you don’t buy $5 worth of starlight mints, I will beat you until you are black, red, and blue.”

Joanna and Johann both really disliked starlight mints; but they also knew that starlight mints were their father’s favorite.  Joanna spent her money buying the mints and giving them to her father.  But Johann really didn’t want to waste what little he had buying something he didn’t want; so he bought $5 worth of milk duds and sugar daddies.

The beating Johann took that night left bruises along his lower back, and welts as big as a fist.  

—--------------------------------

Do you think Jonathan was a terrible father?  Was he evil?

This is the concept of free will as it is presented in the bible.  We are given the “choice” between what god wants us to choose, or everlasting damnation and hellfire in eternal conscious torment.  

If you believe Jonathan was an evil father, what does it say about the god of the bible that he would treat his children even worse?

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

EPISODE III:  THE NEIGHBOR’S KID

Not many of the neighbors knew that Jonathan was an excellent marksman.  In his younger years, he was well-versed in the use of small arms: hand guns, rifles, semi-automatics, even larger calibre firearms to which he was exposed in his military days.  He was no dunce with a shotgun, either; shooting skeet, traps, and even small game on the run.  His father often remarked, “If anybody ever hits a skeet with a 12 gauge slug, it’ll be Jonathan.”

Those days were long past, for Jonathan.  He would occasionally leaf through sportsman magazines looking at the rifles and shotguns.  Once in a while, he’d drive by the outdoors shop to see what new armaments they had.  But a single-shot 12 gauge by the bed, and a .45 pistol in the desk drawer were the extent of Jonathan’s arsenal.  Still, in his skilled hands, those two weapons were plenty enough to protect his home and family.

The family of Jeb Manity lived in the house next door to Jonathan’s family.  Jeb had a son, Hugh, who was a few years older than Johann and Joanna.  Hugh would often come over and watch the kids when they were younger.  He was a bit odd; but mostly kept to himself and was considered by most to be harmless.  

One day, when Joanna was about 12, and Hugh had just turned 17, Hugh came over to watch videos with Joanna.  The kids had their own little set-up in the basement of the house, which all the neighborhood kids enjoyed.  Johann was away at camp, at the time; but, since Hugh had practically grown up with Johann and Joanna, nobody thought anything of Hugh and Joanna being alone together.

Jonathan was startled to suddenly hear Joanna screaming from the basement.  He had never heard her scream like that before.  It was a mix of terror, shame, and some animalistic, mammalian sound that shocked him to the base of his spine.

“Hugh!  Stop It!”

“I don’t want to!”

“Get off me!  You’re hurting me!”

“Don’t do this!”

“Daddy!  Help me!  He’s raping me!”

Jonathan turned back to his computer.  He really needed to get some work done.  The .45 was in the desk drawer mere inches from his hand…

Later, after Hugh had left, Jonathan found Joanna huddled in the basement corner, shivering, with her panties torn and around her ankles.  She jumped when Jonathan touched her shoulder and asked what was wrong.

“Daddy, he raped me!  Hugh raped me!  I told him I didn’t want to but he forced me!  He’s too big and strong.”

“WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP HIM, DADDY?”

Jonathan patiently explained, “Honey, Hugh Manity has free will.  He gets to make his own choices.  I can’t interfere with that.”

“But what about MY free will, daddy?  I told him I didn’t want to!  Why didn’t you protect MY free will?”

Jonathan explained how his ways are mysterious and that children are not to question them; but it brought little comfort to the broken spirit that slowly died inside of Joanna that afternoon.

Was Jonathan a terrible father?  Was he evil?

The god of the bible is presented as being a loving father, as well as an ever-present help in time of trouble.  But, when evil runs rampant through the lives of good and innocent people, some explanation is required as to why god does not act.  Is he able but not willing?  Is he willing but not able?  Is he both?  Neither?  If he is both loving and powerful, then he should also be both able and willing to prevent evil.  Yet there is no question he does not prevent it.

If you believe that Jonathan, having the ability to prevent his daughter being raped, but not doing so, makes Jonathan evil, what does it say about the god of the bible that he would treat his children even worse?

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

EPISODE IV:  PISTACHIO ICE CREAM

Jonathan always made sure Johann and Joanna had plenty of snacks to eat.  He would fill the cabinets and refrigerator with baby carrots, broccoli, celery stalks, peanut butter, whole grain crackers and cereals, milk, juice, and a variety of healthy teas.  In the freezer, though, Jonathan kept a tub of pistachio ice cream.  It was only for him.  He showed the kids this tub one day and told them,

“You can have any snack in this house that you would like; but if you eat my pistachio ice cream, I will beat you until you bleed and beg for death!”

Now Joanna and Johann had never had any kind of ice cream before, so they had no way of knowing what ice cream was like.  Instead, they contented themselves with their veggies, apples and oranges, cheeese sticks, and (Johann’s favorite) peanut butter and honey on graham crackers.

But one day, Addey, a friend of Joanna’s, was visiting after school.  Johann and Addey’s brother Bubbey, were with their Boy Scout Troop that afternoon; so the girls had the whole house to themselves.  Joanna asked Addey if she would like a snack, and began listing off all the yummy things that can be put onto a celery stalk to make it slightly less unpalatable.  Addey asked Joanna if there was any ice cream; because that’s what they had at her house.  Joanna told her that there was some pistachio ice cream; but that her daddy would beat her if she ever ate any of it.

“What sort of daddy would beat his kid for eating ice cream?” Addey inquired with unconcealed shock in her voice.

“Daddy says we’re not even supposed to touch it.” Joanna replied.

“But, he’s not going to beat you just for eating ice cream!  He just wants to keep it for himself.  Besides, he won’t even notice if you only eat a little bit.”  Addey assured her.

Joanna opened the freezer and saw the tub.  The frost on the outside sparkled like glittery stars; and the cold feel against her fingers sent scintillated tingles down her spine.  She reached for a spoon…

Later that evening, Jonathan reached into the freezer to get his daily ration of heavenly delight and immediately flew into a rage at the realization that someone had eaten some of his ice cream.  He immediately demanded that Johann and Joanna report, front and center, before him in order to answer for the crime.  Cowering before the fiend of rage that had become of their daddy, the children trembled and wept.

It was clear that Johann could not have been the culprit behind this, most heinous, transgression, as he had been at Boy Scouts all afternoon.  Jonathan’s eyebrow slithered like a serpent as his eye fell upon the face of Joanna–the felonious face of a malefactor most vile.

“IT WAS YOU!” he glowered behind the accusatory finger held so close to her nose that she could feel the anger coming off of it like the arcing of electricity.

“I warned you not to eat my ice cream; but you disobeyed.  Now the only way for me to forgive you is to beat you until you bleed and beg for death!  I told you that was the punishment for eating ice cream!’

Joanna collapsed trembling into a huddled mass on the floor, begging for mercy, while Jonathan slowly undid his belt buckle and slide the belt from its loops.  Menacing above her with the leathern strap wielded like the sword of justice itself, Jonathan reached out…

…and wrapped his hands around Johann’s throat, throwing him to the floor beside of his sister.  The crack of the belt against Johann’s back could be felt like a deafening sound ringing through his ears and a blinding streak of hot red flash at the back of his eyes.  Blow after blow was landed upon Johann’s back until what began as welts slowly split, the flesh peeling away, too weak from suffering to hold together any longer.  A pool of blood slowly formed under Johann, growing until it stained the fabric of Joanna’s skirt as she look on in helpless horror…

Was Jonathan a terrible father?  Was he evil?

The god of the bible created a system in which only death and the shedding of blood would allow him to forgive, even the most minor of offenses.  He created a “test” specifically designed for the first man and woman to fail, thus justifying his twisted scheme of death, hell, and the grave.  Then offered “salvation” by means of killing his own son in place of humanity.

That god would require death as punishment for finite wrong-doing is evidence enough that he is evil.  That he would kill another in my place, without my agreement or authorization, demonstrates that he is diabolically evil.  To then add eternal conscious torment in hellfire as the final consequence is nothing short of barbaric tyranny.  

If you believe Jonathan was evil, what does it say about the god of the bible that he would treat his children even worse?

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

EPILOGUE:  THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE

So it would appear that those curious townsfolk did reveal a different perspective about Jonathan.  It did their community good to do a thorough investigation into the One they once held in such a high esteem.  What they discovered was that the man did not match the myth, that much of the high esteem Jonathan enjoyed was not earned, but rather had been built and perpetuated on mere stories and rumors, many of which had originally been started by none other than Jonathan himself. 

While many had their faith and trust destroyed in the process, they all found their Selves rebuilt and renewed by the outcome.  But their purpose was not to destroy Jonathan’s image, nor tear down his reputation; it was merely to critically examine the whole truth about him, and bring that truth into the light.  And it was the truth which set them free.

*No children were harmed during the writing of this story.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

TLDR;  What was the point you were trying to make here Prof?

• 9 months later...

No really what point?

Apples and Oranges?  Has to be.

• Super Moderator
On 7/23/2022 at 11:10 PM, duderonomy said:

TLDR;  What was the point you were trying to make here Prof?

9 hours ago, duderonomy said:

No really what point?

Apples and Oranges?  Has to be.

Unfortunately, dude, this is one of those situations where, if you cannot figure it out on your own, you will also not likely understand any explanation that is given to you.  As much as I'd like to help you out, I have to be realistic about the probability that doing so would be a waste of effort.  I realized this early on, which is why I did not answer you the first time you asked.

As a bit of advice: There is already enough ignorance in the world without you adding more to it.  What there is not enough of, in this world, is silence; and perhaps that is a niche you should consider carving for yourself.

13 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Unfortunately, dude, this is one of those situations where, if you cannot figure it out on your own, you will also not likely understand any explanation that is given to you.  As much as I'd like to help you out, I have to be realistic about the probability that doing so would be a waste of effort.  I realized this early on, which is why I did not answer you the first time you asked.

As a bit of advice: There is already enough ignorance in the world without you adding more to it.  What there is not enough of, in this world, is silence; and perhaps that is a niche you should consider carving for yourself.

Wow.   Now I understand a little more about why my beloved ex-christian forums are going to shit.  It doesn't work as well as a fiefdom, you know?   Sad.

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Wow.   Now I understand a little more about why my beloved ex-christian forums are going to shit.  It doesn't work as well as a fiefdom, you know?   Sad.

The internet is a big place, dude.  If you're not happy here, I'm sure you can find somewhere else that suits you better.  Good luck and godspeed. 

I think the biggest question is whether his name is pronounced God-evil or Go-devil 🤪

• Haha 2