Goodbye Jesus

Thanks for making this site!

Merlingoth

Hi everyone,

Thanks for creating such a great community and for allowing me to be a part of it. I’ve been an ex-Christian for about 10 years or so—in retrospect, now, I can see that I was on a trajectory away from Christianity my whole life (if that makes sense). I wish I'd come across this site years ago when I first began that, for me, scary journey, but, nonetheless: I’m really so glad we’ve found eachother now!

Thank you all, again, for paving the way for someone like me to get connected with so many others who share a similar story and this unique perspective.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

We're glad you're here, Merlingoth.  If you need anything, give me a holler.

• Like 1

Thanks so much! 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merlingoth said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for creating such a great community and for allowing me to be a part of it. I’ve been an ex-Christian for about 10 years or so—in retrospect, now, I can see that I was on a trajectory away from Christianity my whole life (if that makes sense). I wish I'd come across this site years ago when I first began that, for me, scary journey, but, nonetheless: I’m really so glad we’ve found each other now!

Thank you all, again, for paving the way for someone like me to get connected with so many others who share a similar story and this unique perspective.

Welcome Marlingoth to our site.

Many recovering from the abuses  and stupidity of Christianity have come hare, exchange their life stories, and support each other here. I feel certain you will like it here.

Cheers and best wishes.

• Like 1

Thanks, pantheory! I've been reading many great posts over the past few days—much of which is very familiar. I appreciate your welcome!

As I mentioned, it's been a while since I first started thinking, "Ya know—maybe there's something misguided about this way of thinking", but it's not been so long that I've forgotten how alienating and dark it can be once you give reason that little bit of breathing room over faith. Even now, it's refreshing and encouraging to see so many others here with a similar path and story.

And—wow—thank you to everyone who has contributed to the "Testimonies of Former Christians" thread! It's not always easy to share about personal experiences in any group, so I'm beyond impressed by the bravery and resilience of everyone who has already contributed in that capacity!

• Like 7

Welcome!  Be sure to add your teatimony.

• Like 1

Welcome to ExC! I'm glad your enjoying the community so far. There is a lot of good info on this site. A lot of which you've already seen probably. But there is always a view point or an argument to be made that makes ya set back and think. "Ya know. I haven't seen it from that angle before, but yeah that's true".  It's really nice to be able to talk to people with a like mindset. 

• Like 2

Thanks, @DarkBishop! Yes, I agree—lots of great conversations, and I’ve really appreciated that they’re not all one-sided! Truly a special place, and I’m really happy to have discovered it. 

Thanks @Weezer! I’m gearing up for that :) Also—side note: big fan of the Blue Album 😉 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 12:29 AM, Weezer said:

Welcome!  Be sure to add your teatimony.

Perhaps I should re-spell testimony??  😁

Hahaha I completely missed that! 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, Merlingoth said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for creating such a great community and for allowing me to be a part of it. I’ve been an ex-Christian for about 10 years or so—in retrospect, now, I can see that I was on a trajectory away from Christianity my whole life (if that makes sense). I wish I'd come across this site years ago when I first began that, for me, scary journey, but, nonetheless: I’m really so glad we’ve found eachother now!

Welcome aboard, Merlingoth! 

Dave wanted to create a community for people who have the shared experience of believing in christianity and then going on beyond christianity, as opposed to the completely different experience of growing up as lifelong atheists with an absence of religious experience under their belts. Completely different experiences.

The idea worked out well!

That's one reason that I stuck around here. I realized how unique this community was when I found it. I had been in other forums mixed in with the lifelong atheists and it didn't have the same feel. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

a community for people who have the shared experience of believing in christianity and then going on beyond christianity…

Thanks for the welcome! Yes! I agree that this is a very unique community, and I think it’s just the right feel! 💜 Thrilled to be a part of it! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merlingoth said:

Thanks for the welcome! Yes! I agree that this is a very unique community, and I think it’s just the right feel! 💜 Thrilled to be a part of it! 

What's with the Merlin and Goth name? Are you into the mystical arts? I ask because it looks like you may be and if you are, then we need to discuss that as well. 

15 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

What's with the Merlin and Goth name? Are you into the mystical arts?

Thanks for asking—I’m definitely not into mysticism of any kind, but I am into the arts, specifically music. For a few years, I’ve been writing a fictional musical-story based loosely on my religious upbringing; Merlingoth is a stagename I made up for a minor character in the story that’s in a band. I figured I’d use that as my name here 🙂

• Like 1