Goodbye Jesus

Creating Christ

JML

• Super Moderator

Welcome to our community,  @JML.  Thank you for the book recommendation and we hope you will make yourself at home here.  If you need anything, just give me a holler.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

I've heard of this book. Dr. Robert Price said it was the first book he has read on the subject that made him take the idea more seriously.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:25 AM, JML said:

Here's a book worth reading:
Creating Christ: How Roman Emperors Invented Christianity
by James S Valliant & Warren Fahy 2018
See review at https://wordpress.com/post/volumesofvalue.com/1355

The book title is a little cynical, no? The mother of just one Roman emperor gave him the great idea that to sanction and promote a passive religion (turn the other cheek) was a good strategy to enhance his hold on the empire, right? btw, welcome to ex-christ and looking forward to your postings.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, pantheory said:

The book title is a little cynical, no? The mother of just one Roman emperor gave him the great idea that to sanction and promote a passive religion (turn the other cheek) was a good strategy to enhance his hold on the empire, right? btw, welcome to ex-christ and looking forward to your postings.

It may not have happened just that way, but it had crossed my mind that the passive religion with the idea of "original sin" requiring an all powerful church to guide humans, was an exclent way to gain control of the masses.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weezer said:

It may not have happened just that way, but it had crossed my mind that the passive religion with the idea of "original sin" requiring an all powerful church to guide humans, was an excellent way to gain control of the masses.

Yeah, right! Better control of the masses was the objective.