Goodbye Jesus

Agnostic athieism

DarkBishop

Thought yall might like this one LoL 😆 

• Like 4

Good to have openly atheist celebrities.  Ricky Gervais is one of the best.  His Netflix series After Life would be good viewing for any ex-christian too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TABA said:

Good to have openly atheist celebrities.  Ricky Gervais is one of the best.  His Netflix series After Life would be good viewing for any ex-christian too. 

Yep. I love his stuff. First thing I watched was was his stand up comedy supernature. I'd never heard of him until I came across it on Netflix. I couldn't stop laughing. 

• Like 2

I didn't realize that Colbert is a trinity believing Christian. That's odd. Some sort of liberal variety I assume?

We should call Christians the 99%er's. 

Because they all - conservative or liberal - are only one god short of full-blown atheism....

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

I didn't realize that Colbert is a trinity believing Christian. That's odd. Some sort of liberal variety I assume?

We should call Christians the 99%er's. 

Because they all - conservative or liberal - are only one god short of full-blown atheism....

Remember colbert is a showman tho. He presents himself as a conservative while pretty much making fun of conservatives. So he may have been making fun of conservatives believing in a 3 person God. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched Gervais’s earlier special “Humanity” last night.  Loved it.  Looking forward to seeing “Supernature” now. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, DarkBishop said:

Thought yall might like this one LoL 😆 

pretty funny. :)   I like his answers and explanations. To call oneself an agnostic atheist is pretty cool IMO. Below is a definition of one by wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

But I still have to call myself a pure atheist since I certainly am convinced there is no God of any kind. Of course we can't prove that any more than we can prove the non-existence of an immortal invisible pink unicorn somewhere in the world.

If God or Jesus were real somehow and came to me in person to convince me of their reality, I would document my conversations the best that I could and afterwards turn myself in to a psych ward for evaluation -- as if I had been talking to the real Santa or the Easter Bunny.

• Like 2

I love the just one more god I don’t believe in way of putting it. It’s very clear. 

I remember Christopher hitchens had a similar turn of phrase about societies moving from polytheism to monotheism; bringing belief in gods every closer to the true number: 0

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Agnostic atheism.. Things were a lot simpler before I came to this community. There are more things to think about now. It feels like I have become a student learning a new world. 

12 minutes ago, Dearnear said:

Agnostic atheism.. Things were a lot simpler before I came to this community. There are more things to think about now. It feels like I have become a student learning a new world.

Firstly, it’s way, way, way simpler to be an agnostic atheist than to be a Bible-believing Christian, or any kind of Christian.  Life is much simpler without all that complex and often contradictory dogma, and also the world makes much more sense!

Secondly, only use these labels if you find them helpful.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dearnear said:

I consider myself nontheist mostly.  But the clip is funny. The agnostic part of agnostic atheist is just acknowledging that there "could" be a God. But there is no evidence to prove that. And sciene cannot disprove something that only exists in the minds of believers. 

DB

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, TABA said:

Secondly, only use these labels if you find them helpful.

This.  Right here.  Is some of the best advice ever given on this website. 

I call myself agnostic but dont really use the theist or atheist labels because I'm not terribly concerned about separating knowledge vs belief. If I can't 'know' if there is a god then I neither believe nor disbelieve, imo. This irritates certain people (elsewhere, not here). 

This is a fun video on agnostic vs atheist and the (non)importance of labels.

https://bigthink.com/videos/neil-degrasse-tyson-atheist-or-agnostic-2/

1:30 particularly. 

I also like the non-golfers and non-skiiers idea. Made me laugh. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 7:25 AM, DarkBishop said:

I consider myself nontheist mostly.  But the clip is funny. The agnostic part of agnostic atheist is just acknowledging that there "could" be a God. But there is no evidence to prove that. And sciene cannot disprove something that only exists in the minds of believers. 

DB

Yeah, somebody in this forum other than me once said: I can't prove the non-existence of a God anymore than I could prove the non-existence of an invisible pink unicorn living somewhere in the world, but there is no evidence for either, But if one of them did exist,  I bet it would be the invisible pink unicorn :)

I have jokingly said the difference between an atheist and agnostic is that the atheist can't bring him/herself to say, "I don't know".  😁

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:53 PM, Weezer said:

I have jokingly said the difference between an atheist and agnostic is that the atheist can't bring him/herself to say, "I don't know".  😁

Yes, a good joke and good analysis. That certainly applies to me concerning religious belief. Of course nobody can know for sure that there is no God of some kind somewhere But one also cannot know for sure that there are no leprechauns, but there seems to be no objective evidence for either IMO.  Atheist say that they do not believe there is a biblical God, and some, like me, believe there are no spiritual entities of any kind anywhere. I've never met an atheist that says he "knows" there is no God -- but I'm sure there are a few uneducated ones.

As to my certainty that there is no God, I have said out loud and in this posting for God to strike me dead and send me to hell within 3 hours if he exists, but after declaring his existence and my hell trip, he needs to deliver to me a case of beer (a 24 pack), otherwise the deal is off :). I've been waiting for the declaration and beer for 6 decades 😐

I'm pretty sure that the idea that atheists believe absolutely that a god could not possibly exist is something that came from Christianity. They love pushing people toward the agnostic label which they can and do then interpret to mean they are on the fence about Christianity. Originally atheist meant exactly what the spelling implies: a (meaning not) theist so not a theist with nothing at all about what may be or could be but rather a simple statement of not being a theist. Restating the atheist position as one that denies the possibility that any god or gods could possibility exist is just a straw man created by Christianity (with support from Webster and Merriam) to help Christianity appear to be so utterly sound and well documented that almost no one could or would come out and say that it just isn't believable. Christianity prefers that only two choices exist: #1 the extreme, rare and pretty untenable position that no god type entity could possibly exist (atheist) or #2 the position that one is undecided but Christianity presents a powerful case (agnostic). 

Looking at it just now I'm not sure the preferred definition is the one Christians love to push at all:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheist 

So it seems to me that if a person isn't a theist they are correct in calling themself an atheist irregardless of how firmly they believe a god or gods might exist. In fact the word atheist came along in the late 1500s and existed without competition until about 300 years later when the word agnostic first came into use. Was this word deemed necessary because Christian leaders kept pushing the atheist definition so far beyond simply not theist that almost no one would want that label? I don't know but it does seem in character with the history and influence of the Christian church.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I always found applying additional labels just made things less clear. If the other person doesn't understand what an atheist is, then slapping on an additional agnostic is just twice as likely to confuse them. I'd rather explain one term than two.

Really there are so many beliefs under the umbrella of atheism, from those who are spiritual but don't believe in a god, to those who believe in reincarnation, to those with a purely natural view. The label answers one question but tells you nothing about a person's world view, much like the term Christian tells you so little about what a person's views are that its hardly more than "Jesus was holy". Labels are too shallow to be useful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1