Goodbye Jesus

New Christian Visitor

aik

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

Hey logical!!! 🙂 nice to see ya!

He's been awfully quiet today. I'm starting to think maybe he is seeing it and doesn't like it. 

One can hope; but historical data suggests he's fixing to r-u-n-n-o-f-t. 

36 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Yeah probably, but I hope not. I actually liked this one 😕 

Well about a half hour before this post he's been over on the Tower of Babel thread. I've noticed that when Christians are presented with issues for which they have no answer or explanation they just don't respond.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, walterpthefirst said:

Here is a simple, multiple choice question for you, aik.

A )  Walter lives on a farm.

B )  Walter lives in an apartment block.

C )  Walter lives in an old cottage.

D )  Walter lives in a single-storey house.

E )  Walter lives in a canal boat.

I have given you no evidence to help you choose which one is true true.

Which one is true, aik?

Wow, Walter, that's you all over!  

7 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Wow, Walter, that's you all over!  

I’m thankful for Walter, and for all the other members who are active members of this community!  The body of Ex-C has many members with various talents, each contributing to the purpose.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, older said:

Well about a half hour before this post he's been over on the Tower of Babel thread. I've noticed that when Christians are presented with issues for which they have no answer or explanation they just don't respond.

That's about it! 

12 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The attempt at blowing off Christianity as the religion of jesus landed all for naught! 

On 11/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, Edgarcito said:

Is off a line in the movie The Natural.....a pure canard....a prevarication.  

But there was a resident here years ago, Grandpa Harley.  He was from England.  That guy had an extended vocabulary....challenged everyone constantly.  Was a lot of fun.

Thanks, sounds good. Yeah, I like reading cool vocabulary, refresh old memories and learn new words. But the goal of writing is for communication, right? So it would seem that simpler words are usually better unless  a deeper meaning can be conveyed to most readers. My guess is that only 20% of people that encounter words they don't understand in the context being used, will look up the word and try to understand what is being said. Sometimes more-complicated words are also improperly used. So usually in an internet setting more common words are better for most people most of the time IMO. What do you think?

On 11/21/2022 at 11:12 AM, DarkBishop said:

Hey logical!!! 🙂 nice to see ya!

Hey DB, thanks and good to see you too. :) I haven't been posting too much lately - life and all that, but I do check in and see what's going on.

I have no idea these days.  Right now, the Jesus Gosp3l story makes seance, you know?

Plus, hello LF.  You are the reason I came back here, you intolerable cunt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TABA said:

I’m thankful for Walter, and for all the other members who are active members of this community!  The body of Ex-C has many members with various talents, each contributing to the purpose.  

Right!   

Kind of like "Onward Christian Soldiers" only different.

Taba, what is "the purpose"?

7 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Kind of like "Onward Christian Soldiers" only different.

Taba, what is "the purpose"?

Is that a serious question?  

The purpose, the reason this website exists, is to help people who are going through the process of leaving christianity.  It helped me hugely, and I’ve seen others going from frightened and hesitant ex-christians to gaining confidence and peace outside of the faith.  It’s a wonderful thing. 

So, duderonomy, what is your purpose here these days?  

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

A couple of common responses I have gotten recently, from a still believing friend.

1. I have experience, you do not have it, therefore you are wrong.

2. Any contradiction/nonsense is actually nuance and wisdom that only people like her, enlightened beings can see.

It is basically taking your subjectivity as sole criteria without any reserve. I am starting to observe this pattern a lot. If one reaches this state, dialogue is basically impossible, because they want to dictate the terms and rules and reserve the right to change them at a heart's notice. They embody the mentality of the autocrat God they claim to worship .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

A couple of common responses I have gotten recently, from a still believing friend.

1. I have experience, you do not have it, therefore you are wrong.

2. Any contradiction/nonsense is actually nuance and wisdom that only people like her, enlightened beings can see.

It is basically taking your subjectivity as sole criteria without any reserve. I am starting to observe this pattern a lot. If one reaches this state, dialogue is basically impossible, because they want to dictate the terms and rules and reserve the right to change them at a heart's notice. They embody the mentality of the autocrat God they claim to worship .

Astute observation, Myrkhoos.

In terms of debate, Christians who invoke subjectivity to validate their claims are committing the fallacy of special pleading.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading

But if you were to point this out to them they would just use the fallacy again.  "God is not bound by human rules of debate."  or  "We all think subjectively, so my arguments are just as valid as yours."   or even...  "All human thought is subjective, so the only way to the truth is by faith."

🙄

17 hours ago, TABA said:

Is that a serious question?  

The purpose, the reason this website exists, is to help people who are going through the process of leaving christianity.  It helped me hugely, and I’ve seen others going from frightened and hesitant ex-christians to gaining confidence and peace outside of the faith.  It’s a wonderful thing. 

So, duderonomy, what is your purpose here these days?  

My purpose here these days?   Fuck you TABA, and I like you.  Respect you even, but I've been posting here for so long I have to wonder where the humor, the camaraderie and the freedom of thoughts and ideas went in the Lion's Den, and at Ex-C in general. 

So again, my purpose here these days? Fucking fuck you you fuckin' fucker (no offense). 

Ideas used to be considered and debated here but since I've been back it looks like this site is an empty husk of what it was just a few years ago. 

I should clarify that when I said "this site" I was mostly talking about the Lion's Den which is where I mostly posted in days past. 

The rest of the place looks the same, I suppose. 

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, duderonomy said:

I should clarify that when I said "this site" I was mostly talking about the Lion's Den which is where I mostly posted in days past. 

This website is what we, collectively, make it.  That's how communities work.  If you're unhappy with it, it is within your power to change it in your own way, through positive contribution.  Bitching and trolling, as you seem wont to do here lately, are not effective methods of positive contribution.  The choice is yours. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

We have fewer regularly active members now than we did back in the glory days, @duderonomy; and this naturally makes us more cohesive in our approach to countering christian apologetics, which is the purpose of this specific forum.  For some of us, this is exactly the forum we wish we'd had during our own deconversion; and we show up on a regular basis to ensure that this forum remains a place where christian arguments can be shown for what they are.  We are here because we believe in helping others who may be struggling as we once struggled.

If the gospel of jesus seems to make more sense to you lately, you are welcome to start a new thread, present your ideas, and see how things go.  Alternatively, you might start a thread in the Spirituality forum to discuss whatever post-christian beliefs you find interesting.  But sitting back and sniping at other members who are here trying to make a difference is not doing anyone any good, nor is it a behavior that I'm likely to tolerate much longer. 

You're not going to get what you want out of the exercise; because most of us have been around long enough to recognize your trolling behavior for what it is.  As a result, we will mostly ignore you and carry on with our work, even if it means having to work around you.  Thus, you will be deprived of the attention that you are obviously, quite desperately, seeking.

For us, this is very important work; and this website is our community.  We strive to make this community what it needs to be for us and for those we seek to help.  If you see this as just a place where you can get drunk and shit-post in the middle of the night, you'll need to find somewhere else to operate. 

On the other hand, you could step up and start to make a more meaningful contribution here.  Whether you are still firmly in the ex-christian camp, or you are slowly but steadily sliding back into your former christian beliefs, you still have, and could be using, a very important voice in our community. 

The choice is yours, sport.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, duderonomy said:

A brief observation:  ....of the few old crowd that have returned, once zealots, are seemingly less zealous and more accepting of where everyone is in the process....but seemingly less accepting of the rigidity of those trying to prove their current stance.  Let that sink in Prof.

4 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

A brief observation:  ....of the few old crowd that have returned, once zealots, are seemingly less zealous and more accepting of where everyone is in the process....but seemingly less accepting of the rigidity of those trying to prove their current stance.  Let that sink in Prof.

Rigid thinking sucks whether you are Christian or ex-Christian. 

8 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

We have fewer regularly active members now than we did back in the glory days, @duderonomy; and this naturally makes us more cohesive in our approach to countering christian apologetics, which is the purpose of this specific forum.  For some of us, this is exactly the forum we wish we'd had during our own deconversion; and we show up on a regular basis to ensure that this forum remains a place where christian arguments can be shown for what they are.  We are here because we believe in helping others who may be struggling as we once struggled.

If the gospel of jesus seems to make more sense to you lately, you are welcome to start a new thread, present your ideas, and see how things go.  Alternatively, you might start a thread in the Spirituality forum to discuss whatever post-christian beliefs you find interesting.  But sitting back and sniping at other members who are here trying to make a difference is not doing anyone any good, nor is it a behavior that I'm likely to tolerate much longer. 

You're not going to get what you want out of the exercise; because most of us have been around long enough to recognize your trolling behavior for what it is.  As a result, we will mostly ignore you and carry on with our work, even if it means having to work around you.  Thus, you will be deprived of the attention that you are obviously, quite desperately, seeking.

For us, this is very important work; and this website is our community.  We strive to make this community what it needs to be for us and for those we seek to help.  If you see this as just a place where you can get drunk and shit-post in the middle of the night, you'll need to find somewhere else to operate. 

On the other hand, you could step up and start to make a more meaningful contribution here.  Whether you are still firmly in the ex-christian camp, or you are slowly but steadily sliding back into your former christian beliefs, you still have, and could be using, a very important voice in our community. 

The choice is yours, sport.

Oh gheez John.  Several weeks ago, I independently expressed an opinion that you didn't yet possess the life experience that gives a more universal look at people and our love for them.....REGARDLESS.  You need seriously to consider what I am saying and quit threatening people that now hold a more mature perspective given you aren't there yet.  You are in the immature position and are threatened in that position needing to yield your "tolerance".  Frickin mindless bud.  The point is that EVERYONE deserves finding their peace in or out of your particular stance.  Otherwise you are no different than that you rail against.  Just let the man talk and perhaps you might learn something....beneficial or no.

13 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Oh gheez John.  Several weeks ago, I independently expressed an opinion that you didn't yet possess the life experience that gives a more universal look at people and our love for them.....REGARDLESS.  You need seriously to consider what I am saying and quit threatening people that now hold a more mature perspective given you aren't there yet.  You are in the immature position and are threatened in that position needing to yield your "tolerance".  Frickin mindless bud.  The point is that EVERYONE deserves finding their peace in or out of your particular stance.  Otherwise you are no different than that you rail against.  Just let the man talk and perhaps you might learn something....beneficial or no.

Besides that, Dude's a really sharp cat.

Perhaps the issue with Duderonomy can be described in evolutionary terms?

Perhaps, during his long absence this forum has evolved.

If so, then it's up to him to evolve too.

In nature, organisms that can't or won't evolve remove themselves from the gene pool.

Just saying.

16 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

Perhaps the issue with Duderonomy can be described in evolutionary terms?

Perhaps, during his long absence this forum has evolved.

If so, then it's up to him to evolve too.

In nature, organisms that can't or won't evolve remove themselves from the gene pool.

Just saying.

No, just the opposite.  He's evolved.

• Super Moderator
32 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Just let the man talk and perhaps you might learn something....beneficial or no.

Wow.  It staggers the imagination how you could somehow manage to understand the exact opposite of what I said to Dude; and then use your lack of comprehension as an excuse to attack my ego.  I'm not even mad.  I'm impressed that someone with the intelligence of a hammer and the social skills of a turnip green can still put together complete sentences; yet, here you are, soldiering on in spite of it all. 

Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

• Haha 1