Goodbye Jesus

The tower of Babel

DarkBishop

11 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

For big close knit families it could be fifty people or more.

The horror, the horror!!  

Six is our ideal number.  Maybe eight at a stretch…

10 minutes ago, TABA said:

The horror, the horror!!  

🤣 🤣  you got it easy!!

Yesterday with my family it was 9 people. And Wednesday it was 14 with my ex wife's family.

Before my ex-wife's grandmother died 3 or 4 years ago the whole family would come together at Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and it was usually around 50 people. I have anxiety when I'm crowded by people so I usually ended up eating outside on the porch. 

On 11/23/2022 at 10:26 AM, aik said:

If there is no God then why you should be thankful anyway? It is very interesting to me. 

I know this was directed at DB, but I'd like to add this:

I'm thankful to know that the biblical god is completely mythical. What a relief it is to know that such an evil, capricious, murderous, intolerant and unjust being does not exist, his torture chamber (hell) does not exist, nor his plans to torture billions of humans for all eternity.   I'm thankful for the humans that figured this out. I'm thankful for the scientists who developed treatments and cures for all  the diseases that people have prayed to their gods about (without answer). I'm thankful for the privilege of having an education that has opened my eyes and reversed the brainwashing of a religious cult, thanks in large part to the human invention of the internet. And of course I'm thankful for all the things that humans typically cherish most: other humans they love, the sort of love that mythical gods are completely incapable of demonstrating.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TABA said:

The horror, the horror!!  

In all my years of living I have never seen less than 20 at a thanksgiving dinner.   Thanksgiving has always been a HUGE deal for us.  Even more so than Xmas.

4 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Well unfortunately my Thanksgiving meals have been at restaurants for the past few years for various reasons. We to have a traditional Thanksgiving next year. So I will tell you what a traditional Thanksgiving looks like. 

Usually the whole family comes together for a good portion of the day. For big close knit families it could be fifty people or more. Everyone brings a dish to add to the meal and it becomes a feast. The main display dish is usually a Turkey. Either Baked, deep fried, or smoked. I personally prefer cooking a nice big Ham. But I have had smoked and baked turkey in the past. Some people cook both, thats always good too lol 😆. There are usually a lot of oven baked casserole dishes like green bean casserole, hashbrown casserole, tater tot casserole, or any number of other caseroles. Usually there is either a large pan of corn bread dressing or a big bowl of stuffing which can be cooked inside the turkey while it baked. All the sides are there. Mashed potatoes, corn, bread rolls, baked macaroni and cheese, etc plus all the casseroles. There are usually a great many desert dishes also. Pies of all sorts, cakes of all sorts, puddings, etcetera. 

In my experience usually the food is still cooking when people start to arrive. Everyone greets each other as they arrive. Adding joy and merriment to the household. There are usually football games scheduled for the day for football fans, Thanksgiving movies usually play all day for those that want to have those movies playing, and there are parades that are televised across the country. The TV is usually just background ambience tho. Everyone is usually enjoying each others conversation, joking, laughing, and just catching up with loved ones. 

After everyone arrives and the food is set up, everyone is asked to be quiet for the blessing. Usually an Elder or possibly minister in the family will pray and ask the blessing on the food. My daughter noticed that I don't pray. So now she likes to watch me while everyone else is praying. I usually end up making a funny face at her. But she knows not to laugh so she just smiles. Yesterday I did try to close my eyes and reflect on what I was thankful for but I knew she was staring at me and I couldn't help myself 🤣

After the prayer is finished we eat. And we eat way to much. After we eat we continue to talk, joke, laugh, and enjoy each others company. 

Eventually everyone starts to leave unless they live out of town. And in that case they may be staying there with their family. 

Thanksgiving started during a time of peace between European settlers in America and the Native wampanoag Indians. Here is a link to a history Channel article about that event.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/topics/thanksgiving/first-thanksgiving-meal

Unfortunately peace didn't remain and the native Americans are the ones that lost everything in the various wars that took place over the next 2-3 centuries after that 1621 Thanksgiving meal.

DB

Thanks for an excelent description of what our families have done since I can remember.  But, you left out the sweet potato casserole.  The most delicious vegetable dish ever!

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Thanks for an excelent description of what our families have done since I can remember.  But, you left out the sweet potato casserole.  The most delicious vegetable dish ever!

Your absolutely Right Weezer. Ill edit it and add sweet potato casserole 😆 

12 hours ago, freshstart said:

I know this was directed at DB, but I'd like to add this:

I'm thankful to know that the biblical god is completely mythical. What a relief it is to know that such an evil, capricious, murderous, intolerant and unjust being does not exist, his torture chamber (hell) does not exist, nor his plans to torture billions of humans for all eternity.   I'm thankful for the humans that figured this out. I'm thankful for the scientists who developed treatments and cures for all  the diseases that people have prayed to their gods about (without answer). I'm thankful for the privilege of having an education that has opened my eyes and reversed the brainwashing of a religious cult, thanks in large part to the human invention of the internet. And of course I'm thankful for all the things that humans typically cherish most: other humans they love, the sort of love that mythical gods are completely incapable of demonstrating.

Dear sister. I have to make you disappointed, saying that God exists. But i am sure that you are talking about another god. Real God is completely incapable to sin, but He is sure loving from the very beginning to the end. This is the God of the Bible. I don't know about whom you are talking about.

And also i am not sure that scientists developed treatments for all diseases. Just a couple of years ago we met a situation where the scientists had no solution. Science develops as well.

But please, let me ask again. Maybe i don't understand real meaning of your word "thankful" because English is not my first language and even not the second one 🙂 Thankful to whom? I have understood for what. But to whom? to people? for their love? I see that people are able not only to love but to hurt, say bad words to each other, sometimes to  kill, to for doing bad things. We should mention everything then to be honest. 

Dear sister, I am telling this to show that very often we twist facts. And not only we, but scientists also, those who has no holiness.

If god is incapable of sinning, why did he lie to Jonah and the people of Nineveh?

Jonah 3 : 4

Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming, “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.”

But god would have foreseen that the Ninevites would repent.

So, it was never god's intention to overthrow that city.

Yet he told Jonah that the city would be overthrown.

The king of Nineveh believed that god would overthrow his city and kill everyone in it.  (Jonah 3 : 9)

Jonah 3 : 10

10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

So how can god relent and choose not to destroy the Ninevites when he had already foreseen what they would do?

God's mind cannot be changed by what people do if he already knows what they will do.

Therefore, by sending Jonah with a false message god was LYING!

6 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

If god is incapable of sinning, why did he lie to Jonah and the people of Nineveh?

Jonah 3 : 4

Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming, “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.”

But god would have foreseen that the Ninevites would repent.

So, it was never god's intention to overthrow that city.

Yet he told Jonah that the city would be overthrown.

The king of Nineveh believed that god would overthrow his city and kill everyone in it.  (Jonah 3 : 9)

Jonah 3 : 10

10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

So how can god relent and choose not to destroy the Ninevites when he had already foreseen what they would do?

God's mind cannot be changed by what people do if he already knows what they will do.

Therefore, by sending Jonah with a false message god was LYING!

Bingo! 

This is the story where you can see how God gave free will and free choice to a man. God spoke judgement. Because people were living filthy sinful life and did not repent. But as soon as people heard about the judgement which God said to them through his prophet, they repented. They have decided to stop sinning and turn to God. And God stepped back from his decision. In my life it happened also. In your life it happens in the same way almost.

Just have no time now. Short for understanding. 

35 minutes ago, aik said:

Bingo! 

This is the story where you can see how God gave free will and free choice to a man. God spoke judgement. Because people were living filthy sinful life and did not repent. But as soon as people heard about the judgement which God said to them through his prophet, they repented. They have decided to stop sinning and turn to God. And God stepped back from his decision. In my life it happened also. In your life it happens in the same way almost.

Just have no time now. Short for understanding. 

Bingo!

God foresaw that Esau would never turn to him and so god's mind was not changed by anything Esau did.

God would also have foreseen that the people of Nineveh would turn to him.

So it was never his intention to destroy their city.

Therefore, god lied to Jonah and the Ninevites when he said that Nineveh would be destroyed by him.

His mind was not changed by what they did because he foresaw what they would before they did it.

Just as his mind was not changed by anything Esau didn't do, before he didn't do it.

Please answer this simple question, aik.

If god never intended to destroy Nineveh was he telling the truth when he said he would?

10 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

Bingo!

God foresaw that Esau would never turn to him and so god's mind was not changed by anything Esau did.

God would also have foreseen that the people of Nineveh would turn to him.

So it was never his intention to destroy their city.

Therefore, god lied to Jonah and the Ninevites when he said that Nineveh would be destroyed by him.

His mind was not changed by what they did because he foresaw what they would before they did it.

Just as his mind was not changed by anything Esau didn't do, before he didn't do it.

Please answer this simple question, aik.

If god never intended to destroy Nineveh was he telling the truth when he said he would?

Walter, dear friend, this is your interpretation of god, which he is not. Wrong interpretation comes out of your willing to prove that god is wrong the book is wrong and there is no god. It does not come out of objective analysis. If you want to lie to yourself, go ahead. I will not stop you. 

Such people like esau, Judas, king Saul sound repent, and they could also give their choice to turn to god. But the did not want to do it. The key word here is want. Ninevites repeated, and were saved. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, aik said:

Walter, dear friend, this is your interpretation of god, which he is not. Wrong interpretation comes out of your willing to prove that god is wrong the book is wrong and there is no god. It does not come out of objective analysis. If you want to lie to yourself, go ahead. I will not stop you. 

Such people like esau, Judas, king Saul sound repent, and they could also give their choice to turn to god. But the did not want to do it. The key word here is want. Ninevites repeated, and were saved. 

My interpretation is based upon the bible itself, aik.

Numbers 23 : 19

God is not human, that he should lie,
    not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
    Does he promise and not fulfil?

If god's mind can be changed by the repentance of Esau, Saul or the Ninevites then this verse is wrong.

Now, please answer my question.

12 hours ago, aik said:

Dear sister. I have to make you disappointed, saying that God exists. But i am sure that you are talking about another god.

Nope we are all talking about your God. Are we done talking about the tower of babel. Because I'm ready to move on if you are. I believe I've made a pretty good argument that you have yet to refute. I doubt your going to find any actual evidence against Nimrod because it isn't there. Just because Saul did this or Japeth did that doesn't reflect on Nimrod or the builders of the tower of babel whatsoever. This story is a myth. Whether you believe its true or not. 

12 hours ago, aik said:

Real God is completely incapable to sin, but He is sure loving from the very beginning to the end. This is the God of the Bible. I don't know about whom you are talking about.

Well to make a statement like this and me not reply is an impossibility. The biblical God is the most vile, sinful, malicious, ruthless, lying, deceitful, and horrible God that humanity ever dreamt of. I'm sorry you can't see your God for what he is but I will.certainly do my best to point out how he is horrible. Starting with a verse we both already mentioned. 

1 Samuel 15

2 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

I'm sorry AIK I will never concede that killing an infant isn't Evil. Your God ordered the slaughter of innocent women, children, and infants. This is Evil. 

Hosea 15 (The words of God's prophet)

16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Here let's sing his praise with a Psalm AIK.

Psalms 137

8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Apparently taking enemy children and smashing them against stones makes your God HAPPY!!!!! Yes he is such a God of love AIK. You've convinced me!!! He loves all the little children doesn't he?

(Yes, I am being sarcastic. These are all horrible, vile, disgusting scriptures. And every one of them is about your God.)

Here's a good one from Gods law that shows God's love toward raped virgins.

Deuteronomy 22

28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Such a lucky damsel to be sold off by her father to her rapist for 50 shekels of silver. According to Gods law. Oh how GREAT is the love of God.

Just the prospect of Hell shows God's love tremendously. Since leaving Christianity I can't fathom how I believed that a "loving" God could create such a torturous place for ANYONE that doesn't believe. The Bible says in John 3:16 that he "loved" the world so much that he gave his son. That whomsoever believeth on him should have everlasting life. 

But if he loves the world. Which means everyone. How can he send everyone else to torture and burn for eternity? It would be one thing if they were thrown in and just ceased to exist. And were just gone. But to be tortured for eternity. That isn't love. That isn't even a just punishment. 

What that is, is a concept dreamt up by those who would control their people through their beliefs. Either believe in Jesus and be a docile citizen or don't and suffer death in this life and eternal torment in the afterlife. Convert or Die! That is Gods love. 

AIK, I would like to suggest one book for you to read. It is a book written by a biblical scholar. It is called Heaven and Hell A history of the afterlife, by Bart Ehrmann. You can probably download it digitally. It would be nice if you would read it and then maybe we can have a discussion about the book. 

Meanwhile here is some more of Gods love.

Ahhh who can forget Gods love reflected in Job. God let's down the hedge around one of his faithful servants so the devil can tempt him by destroying his crops, his livestock, making boils to come up on his body, and killing every one of his children. 

Oh sure, God gave him twice as much as he had. Sure. That is laughable. Like Job won't grieve his lost children for the rest of his life. 

That is a type of love I think I can do without. 

How about Pharoah and the people of Egypt. Pharoah was going to do the right thing according to the Bible. He was going to let Gods people go like Moses asked. But is the Pharoah rewarded? No, God uses his mighty powers to harden Pharaoh's heart just so he can send his death angel to kill all the first born in Egypt. God did this. He is directly responsible. He hardened a man's heart just so he could kill a multitude of Egyptian children. 

Oh my my how I am in awe of Gods love. 

Lastly I will leave you with this. 

Promises, promises, promises all broken.

John 14

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Here, Jesus says anything we ask if we are a believer he will do it. Not may do it. Or will think about doing it. It says he will do it. So that his father is glorified. 

Yet thousands of faithful parents will pray for their child to be healed of cancer and this prayer won't be answered. 

Millions of starving believers will ask God to provide food and will end up dying of starvation. 

Millions of women in the sex trafficking

Industry will cry to God asking to be freed from their predicament, but will die being raped repeatedly daily while being pumped full of drugs to prevent them from fighting their rapists. 

Tens of thousands of children will cry out to God asking him to keep a relative, a mothers boyfriend, or a stranger from molesting them. And these crys to God will not be answered. 

The love of your God and our former God is not present in this world. We discussed this at length in another thread started by @TheRedneckProfessor. Please read this thread. And then tell me that God is a God of Love. 

Sincerely,

Dark Bishop

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

aik, you mentioned in a PM that you didn't believe in Muhammad because he was inconsistant.  I believe you used the word "changeable".   Can you not see that the christian god is extrememly inconsistant (changable) between the Old Testament, and through Jesus teaching??  He was an absolute, unbeliveable, sadistic monster at times in the old testament.  How can you read what DarkBishop wrote above and deny that??  And see how "changeable" he is. (as if he really existed)

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

My interpretation is based upon the bible itself, aik.

God is not human, that he should lie,
    not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
    Does he promise and not fulfil?

If god's mind can be changed by the repentance of Esau, Saul or the Ninevites then this verse is wrong.

Now, please answer my question.

You are lying. The Bible never said that God never intended to destroy Ninveh. 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:13 PM, aik said:

Real God is completely incapable to sin, but He is sure loving from the very beginning to the end. This is the God of the Bible. I don't know about whom you are talking about.

Your mythical "loving god"commanded the murder of men, women, children and animals. Have you not read the Old Testament? Are you not familiar with the legend of Noah's ark and the world wide flood (for starters)? Are you really going to need references to the Bible verses in which god commanded the murder of others? How is this "loving from the very beginning to the end?"

And also i am not sure that scientists developed treatments for all diseases. Just a couple of years ago we met a situation where the scientists had no solution. Science develops as well.

Of course science has not developed treatments for all diseases, and of course science develops over time.

Funny how god has never developed any "answers" that would help people in large numbers. Its always the isolated "miracle" that gets attributed to god instead of circumstance. But it is science that helps all of humanity in measurable and verifiable ways.

Maybe i don't understand real meaning of your word "thankful" because English is not my first language and even not the second one 🙂 Thankful to whom? I have understood for what. But to whom? to people? for their love? I see that people are able not only to love but to hurt, say bad words to each other, sometimes to  kill, to for doing bad things. We should mention everything then to be honest. 

Yes I am thankful to people. And yes some people are assholes. So what? Bible God is the biggest asshole of all. He created a special torture chamber for the most horrible sin possible: disbelief. (Since English is your second language, please note the sarcasm. No one should have to suffer for eternity because they were unable to believe in a fairy-tale.) Bible stories tell how God killed or commanded others to kill men, women, children, and babies throughout the bible. He even planned for his own son to be killed. So yes, Aik, we should mention everything then to be honest. The bible tells the story of a god who is an evil, murderous, jealous narcissist. I find it apalling that Christians choose to ignore all that and pretend the god they worship is loving and benevolent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aik said:

Did you miss the word "if" in that last question Walter asked?

aik, you do not have to be thankful TO someone.  To help you understand English, "Thankful" and "appreciative" (same meanings) can simply be a feeling you have.  It does not have to be expressed to anyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

Did you miss the word "if" in that last question Walter asked?

No I did not.

Glory to the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Please everybody answer. Without answering to this simple question I am not able to respond to all your many questions.

Do you think that a violator or a criminal must be punished?

6 hours ago, aik said:

I cannot be lying, aik.

If god's mind was changed by the repentance of the people of Nineveh, then this bible passage is false.

God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfil it?

But if this passage is not false, then god never intended to destroy Nineveh.

And therefore he lied to the Ninevites, who believed that he was going to destroy their city.

We know this true because the king of Nineveh believed that god was going to destroy the city.

Jonah 3 : 6 - 10.

6 When Jonah’s warning reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust.

7 This is the proclamation he issued in Nineveh:

“By the decree of the king and his nobles:

Do not let people or animals, herds or flocks, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink. 

8 But let people and animals be covered with sackcloth. Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence.

9 Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish.”

Please answer this question, aik.

Did the repentance of the Ninevites change god's mind?

2 hours ago, aik said:

Please everybody answer. Without answering to this simple question I am not able to respond to all your many questions.

Yes, those who break the law of the land must pay a price.  Not because society enjoys punishing violators, but to deter.  Otherwise the law is widely ignored.  

But a key element of a civilized society is that punishment should fit the crime.  We no longer execute people for stealing.  Execution, where it exists at all, is almost exclusively used in cases of premeditated murder. 

Except for a few countries dominated by religious fanaticism, people are no longer executed or even punished for apostasy or blasphemy.  

Another key feature of a civilized society is that guilt must be demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt, so that an innocent person is not punished for a crime committed by  another.  And nobody is punished for the crime of their parents.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aik said:

That depends on the circumstances, aik.

The authority of British law extends only so far.  It does not extend to Russia.  Therefore, British courts have no legal right to punish or criminalize Russian citizens living in Russia for breaking any British laws.

You would probably assert that god is the ultimate authority and we are all under his authority.  He therefore has the legal right to hold us accountable when we break his laws.  That we are violators and we must therefore be punished.

But your assertion is done through faith. 

Whereas my example of British and Russian law is fact.  Can you establish it as a fact, through objective evidence, that god has authority over everyone?  Simply asserting that it is so by faith is not establishing it as a fact.  Your faith-based assertion carries no legal weight.  

Please establish god's authority over us as a fact, with objective evidence to support your argument.

Now that I have answered your question aik, please answer mine.

1 hour ago, walterpthefirst said:

That depends on the circumstances, aik.

The authority of British law extends only so far.  It does not extend to Russia.  Therefore, British courts have no legal right to punish or criminalize Russian citizens living in Russia for breaking any British laws.

You would probably assert that god is the ultimate authority and we are all under his authority.  He therefore has the legal right to hold us accountable when we break his laws.  That we are violators and we must therefore be punished.

But your assertion is done through faith. 

Whereas my example of British and Russian law is fact.  Can you establish it as a fact, through objective evidence, that god has authority over everyone?  Simply asserting that it is so by faith is not establishing it as a fact.  Your faith-based assertion carries no legal weight.  

Please establish god's authority over us as a fact, with objective evidence to support your argument.

Now that I have answered your question aik, please answer mine.

You did not answer. My question was not about God, not about Britain and russia. 

Just now, aik said:

You did not answer. My question was not about God, not about Britain and russia. 

No, that's false aik.  Here was your question.

You said nothing about god in your question.  Your words were.. 'this simple question.'

THIS ONE ...  Do you think that a violator or a criminal must be punished?

I have done that, using Britain and Russia as valid examples.

So, now please answer my question.

Here it is again.