Goodbye Jesus

QUESTION FOR OLD TIMERS

Weezer

Do any of you old timers here know of any regulars who have gone back to the faith?

I don’t think of myself as an Old Timer, but I know of two members who reconverted.  

The most well known was @Brother Jeff, who spoke openly of his struggles with bipolar disorder.  Over the course of his 10+ years here, he alternated between devout christian and stalwart opponent of the faith several times.  During his periods of non-belief, he was a fierce and often hilarious debunker of christianity.  In his christian phases, he ran one or more religious websites.  I came across one a while back where he was predicting the second coming of Jesus in October 2021, if I recall correctly.    

The other reconvert I know of is @Deidre.  I don’t know that much about her.  She seemed really nice and I recall that she was quite gracious and not preachy to us heathens when she did reconvert.  I believe it was not unconnected to her getting engaged and married.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, recall a little about BrotherJeff. I do recall that he openly discussed his bipolarity. But don't recall his discussions regarding his religious bendings. I've been here almost 10 years and I have seen some that were down on a particular religion but were still spiritual. When such people leave here just by not participating any longer one could wonder if they went to another Christian religion.

I've been told by more than one person in the past that they didn't think that I belonged here because I wasn't against religion -- instead they asserted that I thought all regions of the world were nothing but a big joke just like Greek Mythology. They were right concerning my lack of belief and hostility concerning religions.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Why do you ask, @Weezer?

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Why do you ask, @Weezer?

I'M GOING BACK TO THE FOLD!!     NOT!!!    

Seriously, several times I have told people they are wasting their time trying to bring us back.  Then got to thinking that perhaps it DID happen from time to time.  Perhaps from now on I'll just say it is highly unlikely.  The longer I am out, the more reasons I see for staying out.  Christianity is one of the biggest hoaxes ever played on human beings.  I've said this before, but here it is again.  The fathers of christianity were absolutely the experts on conditioning/programming human minds, and used the power of the Roman empire to force feed it on humans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have met some atheists who disbelieve for bad reasons, and there are many atheists who are simply apathetic to the whole question of God.  If someone like that gets hit with a charismatic apologist's gish galop, then I can absolutely see them beginning to believe.  I feel like many of the apologists who claim to be ex-atheists fall into that category, that they never delved into the arguments, they just didn't care about religion until something came along and changed that for them.  Whether that was a Christian friend, a partner, a family member or some such, it was the sudden introduction of argumentation from one side only.

I think most of the people on here have gone down the rabbit hole, heard both sides of the arguments and understand it deep enough to counter any claims.  The apathetic atheists won't be on sites like this.

• Like 5

On 11/23/2022 at 2:51 AM, Wertbag said:

I have met some atheists who disbelieve for bad reasons, and there are many atheists who are simply apathetic to the whole question of God.  If someone like that gets hit with a charismatic apologist's gish galop, then I can absolutely see them beginning to believe.  I feel like many of the apologists who claim to be ex-atheists fall into that category, that they never delved into the arguments, they just didn't care about religion until something came along and changed that for them.  Whether that was a Christian friend, a partner, a family member or some such, it was the sudden introduction of argumentation from one side only.

I think most of the people on here have gone down the rabbit hole, heard both sides of the arguments and understand it deep enough to counter any claims.  The apathetic atheists won't be on sites like this.

Yeah, that's a thing. In fact, I have never to date seen any so-called former atheist show a demonstration of ever having the full intellectual knowledge of atheism. Strawmen every time, revealing that they had no understanding of what the position they once took even means. It's clear when someone claims to have been atheist and then launches into strawman arguments revealing that they never at any point understood atheism without the strawmen. By default, simply not believing in god for a while, they were technically atheist. Then changed their mind and went to theism. 

But if they clearly never understood the position in the first place, then so fucking what? 

They have uninformed opinions at best. 

• Like 2

There was a member I remember fondly who would pop in from time to time who was questioning Christianity - I think his name was @SeaJay

I think that's him.

He struggled with the fear of hell. We haven't seen him in in quite some time and I think based on his last posts he resolved his dilemma in Favour of Christianity. He also popped into Discord chat a few times to discuss stuff. Ultimately, I think he couldn't get over the what-if of hell. :( 

I also remember BroJeff and Deidre. I had good conversations with them both. 

I will state that all of these members were already of the not/sure questioning variety. I haven't known a 'fully deconverted' member to go back. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

There was a member I remember fondly who would pop in from time to time who was questioning Christianity - I think his name was @SeaJay

I think that's him.

He struggled with the fear of hell. We haven't seen him in in quite some time and I think based on his last posts he resolved his dilemma in Favour of Christianity. He also popped into Discord chat a few times to discuss stuff. Ultimately, I think he couldn't get over the what-if of hell. :( 

I will state that all of these members were already of the not/sure questioning variety. I haven't known a 'fully deconverted' member to go back. 

I don't think SeaJay went back to christianity.  @TABA has kept in contact and may have more information; but I'm pretty sure he was able to fully deconvert.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think that's him.

He struggled with the fear of hell. We haven't seen him in in quite some time and I think based on his last posts he resolved his dilemma in Favour of Christianity.

No, SeaJay had a breakthrough last year and was able to finally declare himself an ex-christian, something that he had been wanting to do for a while.  He shared it here…

He has stayed in touch with me and @Hierophantsince then.  It’s not all plain sailing, but he’s generally been doing much better.  

• Thanks 4

4 hours ago, TABA said:

No, SeaJay had a breakthrough last year and was able to finally declare himself an ex-christian, something that he had been wanting to do for a while.  He shared it here…

He has stayed in touch with me and @Hierophantsince then.  It’s not all plain sailing, but he’s generally been doing much better.  

That's good to know! I missed that one didn't I! Thanks for the update.

Late to the party here but when this site was much more active with those who were struggling with their faith or the negative effects of christian community on their life there was an ex minister, Teresa MacBain, who came out at an atheist convention in about 2012. I worked closely with her on the Recovering From Religion site answering calls from people having problems sometimes crises involving their church, beliefs, christian family or friends, etc. She was hired to start and direct that hot line RFR project. She returned to her faith less than a year later I think it was.

https://www.worldreligionnews.com/religion-news/christianity/from-minister-to-atheist-to-believer-again-the-story-of-teresa-macbain/

In her extremely low volume video there she explains that her son being injured in Iraq and becoming disabled around 20 years of age while she was herself fighting cancer had caused her to turn away from her faith. She knew the talking points of why christianity with it's many supernatural events didn't ring true but it seems like those issues may not have been that big of a problem to her, so long term Christian minister to active non believer to woman of faith. Sounds like she is doing something like the RFR hot line mission except trying to solve concerns by bringing the troubled back to their faith.

12 minutes ago, DanForsman said:

Late to the party here but when this site was much more active with those who were struggling with their faith or the negative effects of christian community on their life there was an ex minister, Teresa MacBain, who came out at an atheist convention in about 2012. I worked closely with her on the Recovering From Religion site answering calls from people having problems sometimes crises involving their church, beliefs, christian family or friends, etc. She was hired to start and direct that hot line RFR project. She returned to her faith less than a year later I think it was.

https://www.worldreligionnews.com/religion-news/christianity/from-minister-to-atheist-to-believer-again-the-story-of-teresa-macbain/

In her extremely low volume video there she explains that her son being injured in Iraq and becoming disabled around 20 years of age while she was herself fighting cancer had caused her to turn away from her faith. She knew the talking points of why christianity with it's many supernatural events didn't ring true but it seems like those issues may not have been that big of a problem to her, so long term Christian minister to active non believer to woman of faith. Sounds like she is doing something like the RFR hot line mission except trying to solve concerns by bringing the troubled back to their faith.

Hey Dan!  Haven't heard from you in a while.   Thanks for posting.  I didn't go to the link, but from what you said It seems like her leaving religion was based more on "emotional disappointment", than a rational study of the history and dynamics of religions.  I think someone mentioned that above, and believe that may account for some going back to the faith.  Looking for that "good" feeling.

Hi Weezer. I miss the times when so many new people were coming here to get reassurance or advice on how to deal with pressing problems caused by there christian life. Those folks don't stop so much now so I kind of check in less and less. I really miss those times though. I do sometimes read through recent activity and look at what's happening. Yes there is no need to click the link. Teresa talks about needing the christian music and through that god reaching her soul and forgiving her and welcoming her back. There are quite a few people like her, I think, who don't really care about any proof because everything they care about regarding proof comes from inside of themself pretty much just like the christian faith encourages them to do.

I myself am essentially positive that christianity is just another made up religion but I think the circumstances all life forms find themselves in, here on our planet, lost in space as we are, just makes for craziness so is believing in some impossible ideas makes the ride more enjoyable or bearable then I get it and that OK with me. 

Also I was wondering if Margee ever comes around here anymore as I always enjoyed reading her kind words.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DanForsman said:

Also I was wondering if Margee ever comes around here anymore as I always enjoyed reading her kind words.

She pops in occasionally.  I always enjoy her posts.

I've been doing some research.  Not just this forum, but with others also, it seems like people are gravitating toward Facebook.  One guy on a motorcycle forum I belong to said he prefered Facebook because he didn't have to wade through some of the crap on the forums.  Facebook stayed on the subject.  but that may be more due to the policing what goes on??  Also it could be that people wanting to leave church got to do so during the pandemic, and are just not going back??  And I honestly think what goes on in the Lions Den at times is keeping some lurkers from joining in. 

13 hours ago, DanForsman said:

I myself am essentially positive that christianity is just another made up religion but I think the circumstances all life forms find themselves in, here on our planet, lost in space as we are, just makes for craziness so is believing in some impossible ideas makes the ride more enjoyable or bearable then I get it and that OK with me. 

You may be aware of this, but in case you aren't, and for others who aren't, Have you read the book, Sapiens: A brief history of mankind?   It talks about how people are social animals and lose thier sense of community and belonging in huge societies.  He says the sense begins to break down after the group gets bigger than about 125 people. (the story of the Hadza tribe is interesting) They need something that binds them together and gives a sense of purpose.  And a common ideaology like religion can accomplish that.  Hopefully in a positive way like the love Jesus talks about.  But one thing that can really bind them together is to have ememys and the need to protect themselves from the evil enemy. (does that remind you of the old testament??) Sly humans can take advantage of that through religions, and nationalism, and the war industry profits from it.  And the scripture that says there shall be wars and rumors of wars is honest in a way, but also is a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 4:20 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

I think that's him.

We did have good conversations. lol

I didn't know Brother Jeff went back to the faith? Wow. Does he come around here much?

Hope y'all are doing well. 🥰

• Super Moderator

Hey, @Deidre.  Good to hear from you.  Come back and visit for a while. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Hey, @Deidre.  Good to hear from you.  Come back and visit for a while. 

Hi!! Be careful what you wish for...lol Nice to see you.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
26 minutes ago, Deidre said:

Hi!! Be careful what you wish for...lol Nice to see you.

How's FattyMatty?  Is he still around?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

How's FattyMatty?  Is he still around?

Omg, I forgot he posted here. lol I haven't talked with him in a while. I saw him on a few forums over the past couple of years - religious forums and others, not sure if he still hangs out there. But, yea...lost touch with him and quite a few others. Do you remember Mequa? He used to mainly hang out here in the chat forum. 

• Super Moderator
48 minutes ago, Deidre said:

Do you remember Mequa? He used to mainly hang out here in the chat forum. 

Can't say as I do; but I never went into the chats very often.

I suspect alot of particularly younger people are heading to reddit for this type of stuff.   Those subreddits on these subject pop off pretty consistently.

I only came back here really out of boredom recently and have been trying to get more in touch with my roots.

1 hour ago, Deidre said:

didn't know Brother Jeff went back to the faith? Wow. Does he come around here much?

Bro Jeff was/is bipolar and went back and forth between Very Christian and Very Not Christian several times.  He hasn’t been here since before his last reconversion, AFAIK.  I came across his Christian website where he was focused on predicting the Second Coming in 2020 and then again in 2021.  

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, TABA said:

I came across his Christian website where he was focused on predicting the Second Coming in 2020 and then again in 2021.  

I wonder if he was right on either occasion.  🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Can't say as I do; but I never went into the chats very often.

Yea, the chat rooms were pretty active on some nights. Well, Mequa passed away a few years ago, from a routine heart surgery. He was like 32 yo and I had found out from a forum member on another was site. Some here may have remembered him. 

In general, I think forums have less traffic as compared to 7 or so years ago largely due to Twitter, IG, etc.. But, I remember when this site was really active and it was difficult to keep up with all the new posts. Strange how things change over time. Not that much time but it seems like it.