Jump to content

QUESTION FOR OLD TIMERS


Weezer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Do any of you old timers here know of any regulars who have gone back to the faith?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I don’t think of myself as an Old Timer, but I know of two members who reconverted.  
 

The most well known was @Brother Jeff, who spoke openly of his struggles with bipolar disorder.  Over the course of his 10+ years here, he alternated between devout christian and stalwart opponent of the faith several times.  During his periods of non-belief, he was a fierce and often hilarious debunker of christianity.  In his christian phases, he ran one or more religious websites.  I came across one a while back where he was predicting the second coming of Jesus in October 2021, if I recall correctly.    
 

The other reconvert I know of is @Deidre.  I don’t know that much about her.  She seemed really nice and I recall that she was quite gracious and not preachy to us heathens when she did reconvert.  I believe it was not unconnected to her getting engaged and married.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, recall a little about BrotherJeff. I do recall that he openly discussed his bipolarity. But don't recall his discussions regarding his religious bendings. I've been here almost 10 years and I have seen some that were down on a particular religion but were still spiritual. When such people leave here just by not participating any longer one could wonder if they went to another Christian religion.

 

I've been told by more than one person in the past that they didn't think that I belonged here because I wasn't against religion -- instead they asserted that I thought all regions of the world were nothing but a big joke just like Greek Mythology. They were right concerning my lack of belief and hostility concerning religions.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator

Why do you ask, @Weezer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Why do you ask, @Weezer?

I'M GOING BACK TO THE FOLD!!     NOT!!!    

 

Seriously, several times I have told people they are wasting their time trying to bring us back.  Then got to thinking that perhaps it DID happen from time to time.  Perhaps from now on I'll just say it is highly unlikely.  The longer I am out, the more reasons I see for staying out.  Christianity is one of the biggest hoaxes ever played on human beings.  I've said this before, but here it is again.  The fathers of christianity were absolutely the experts on conditioning/programming human minds, and used the power of the Roman empire to force feed it on humans.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have met some atheists who disbelieve for bad reasons, and there are many atheists who are simply apathetic to the whole question of God.  If someone like that gets hit with a charismatic apologist's gish galop, then I can absolutely see them beginning to believe.  I feel like many of the apologists who claim to be ex-atheists fall into that category, that they never delved into the arguments, they just didn't care about religion until something came along and changed that for them.  Whether that was a Christian friend, a partner, a family member or some such, it was the sudden introduction of argumentation from one side only.

 

I think most of the people on here have gone down the rabbit hole, heard both sides of the arguments and understand it deep enough to counter any claims.  The apathetic atheists won't be on sites like this.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 11/23/2022 at 2:51 AM, Wertbag said:

I have met some atheists who disbelieve for bad reasons, and there are many atheists who are simply apathetic to the whole question of God.  If someone like that gets hit with a charismatic apologist's gish galop, then I can absolutely see them beginning to believe.  I feel like many of the apologists who claim to be ex-atheists fall into that category, that they never delved into the arguments, they just didn't care about religion until something came along and changed that for them.  Whether that was a Christian friend, a partner, a family member or some such, it was the sudden introduction of argumentation from one side only.

 

I think most of the people on here have gone down the rabbit hole, heard both sides of the arguments and understand it deep enough to counter any claims.  The apathetic atheists won't be on sites like this.

 

Yeah, that's a thing. In fact, I have never to date seen any so-called former atheist show a demonstration of ever having the full intellectual knowledge of atheism. Strawmen every time, revealing that they had no understanding of what the position they once took even means. It's clear when someone claims to have been atheist and then launches into strawman arguments revealing that they never at any point understood atheism without the strawmen. By default, simply not believing in god for a while, they were technically atheist. Then changed their mind and went to theism. 

 

But if they clearly never understood the position in the first place, then so fucking what? 

 

They have uninformed opinions at best. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

There was a member I remember fondly who would pop in from time to time who was questioning Christianity - I think his name was @SeaJay

I think that's him.

 

He struggled with the fear of hell. We haven't seen him in in quite some time and I think based on his last posts he resolved his dilemma in Favour of Christianity. He also popped into Discord chat a few times to discuss stuff. Ultimately, I think he couldn't get over the what-if of hell. :( 

 

I also remember BroJeff and Deidre. I had good conversations with them both. 

 

I will state that all of these members were already of the not/sure questioning variety. I haven't known a 'fully deconverted' member to go back. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

There was a member I remember fondly who would pop in from time to time who was questioning Christianity - I think his name was @SeaJay

I think that's him.

 

He struggled with the fear of hell. We haven't seen him in in quite some time and I think based on his last posts he resolved his dilemma in Favour of Christianity. He also popped into Discord chat a few times to discuss stuff. Ultimately, I think he couldn't get over the what-if of hell. :( 

 

I also remember BroJeff and Deidre. I had good conversations with them both. 

 

I will state that all of these members were already of the not/sure questioning variety. I haven't known a 'fully deconverted' member to go back. 

I don't think SeaJay went back to christianity.  @TABA has kept in contact and may have more information; but I'm pretty sure he was able to fully deconvert.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
17 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

 

There was a member I remember fondly who would pop in from time to time who was questioning Christianity - I think his name was @SeaJay

I think that's him.

 

He struggled with the fear of hell. We haven't seen him in in quite some time and I think based on his last posts he resolved his dilemma in Favour of Christianity.

 


No, SeaJay had a breakthrough last year and was able to finally declare himself an ex-christian, something that he had been wanting to do for a while.  He shared it here…

 


He has stayed in touch with me and @Hierophantsince then.  It’s not all plain sailing, but he’s generally been doing much better.  

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
4 hours ago, TABA said:


No, SeaJay had a breakthrough last year and was able to finally declare himself an ex-christian, something that he had been wanting to do for a while.  He shared it here…

 


He has stayed in touch with me and @Hierophantsince then.  It’s not all plain sailing, but he’s generally been doing much better.  

That's good to know! I missed that one didn't I! Thanks for the update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.