Goodbye Jesus

Beliefs

DarkBishop

@aik

Let's take a breather. After all we are human right? That is one thing we have in common. More than likely we are never going to agree about religion. But that's ok. I'm happy with the way I believe and you are happy with yours. And that's what matters. Because ultimately, whether you believe in heaven and hell or not. I think we can all agree that life is short on this earth so we need to make the most of it. 

We can be just as passionate about not believing as you are about believing. If you will entertain me for a few minutes I want to play a song that I think everyone probably knows. Maybe not. But whatever. 

I posted about empathy. And you never really responded. So I want to share with you, a recent moment when I was empathetic for someone. 

Keep in mind I am exchristian and do not share this person's belief. Also when I was a preacher I was not catholic. I was holiness. Even then I did not share in this person's beliefs. 

I was listening to the radio and the Beatles, "let it be" came on. 

I don't know if the feeling of the song will translate well. Maybe there is a version in your language you could listen to as well. But I hope it does. 

Anyway, this song was written by Paul McCartney and he sings it with the Beatles. I've heard this song many times and can feel the heartfelt belief he has in Mary, the mother of Jesus. He sees her as a wise mother that gives him comfort, peace, and love during times of confusion,  questions, and hardships. 

He sings about the mother Mary like you talk about Jesus. This is who he looks up to. And I can empathize with with him even though I was never catholic, even though I am now a non-believer. I can feel what he is feeling when he wrote this. I dont know his life or if he is a good Christian or not. But when he wrote this. He felt close to the one he worshipped. The one he felt most comfortable praying to in that moment. 

What do you think about the song Aik?  Just try to feel what he is trying to convey. Don't focus on what is different than your own beliefs. Just try to enjoy the song from his point of view. 

Thanks,

Dark Bishop

Partly cause im a sucker for good music and partly because im kind of curious about where this thread goes.   Will include this.   The guy playing guitar on this song wrote this song after coming out of rehab.   I presume thinking in terms of his family of origin issues and the typically "higher power" stuff you get in recovery came this song.   I do believe he also became a christian, but is of the protestant flavor.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shinzon said:

Partly cause im a sucker for good music and partly because im kind of curious about where this thread goes.   Will include this.   The guy playing guitar on this song wrote this song after coming out of rehab.   I presume thinking in terms of his family of origin issues and the typically "higher power" stuff you get in recovery came this song.   I do believe he also became a christian, but is of the protestant flavor.

That is perfect Shinzon. I felt that, even brought a tear to my eye. I related more to Eric Clapton because I'm a rock fan. But I could even feel the passion in the other man's voice. Music has a way of braking barriers that words can't sometimes. 

I had an Idea of where I wanted the thread to go when I first thought about it. But while I was writing it, I had to change direction. And this is a great direction to go. Thank you! 🙂

Maybe we can have a little peace and fellowship in the den for one thread. 

Does anyone else have something that makes them feel empathy for someone? A story, poem, song, video clip? Just something that touches your heart even though you aren't in that situation. Or believe exactly like they believe. 

DB

@aik

Are you still here? Were you able to listen to the songs? Maybe you could post a song or something that you empathize with. Preferably something outside your own biases. My thought on this thread is that if you realize the difference between empathy and sympathy maybe you can understand our position better. Which would benefit you and us I think. And it is something we can have fun with. Here is an old one from my teenage years that always got me. 

DB

If prior experience from back in the day is any indication....the guy is probably gone.   Usually they either rage quit and dip or channel there inner kirk Cameron and become so stuck in the mud as to be unchangeable.

5 minutes ago, Shinzon said:

If prior experience from back in the day is any indication....the guy is probably gone.   Usually they either rage quit and dip or channel there inner kirk Cameron and become so stuck in the mud as to be unchangeable.

You mentioned kirk Cameron and I thought you were gonna say something like he was raptured away and we are left behind lmao 🤣 

10 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

You mentioned kirk Cameron and I thought you were gonna say something like he was raptured away and we are left behind lmao 🤣 

Distracted by admiring the perfection of the banana. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Those are really good movies to watch while high.   

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

@aik

Are you still here? Were you able to listen to the songs? Maybe you could post a song or something that you empathize with. Preferably something outside your own biases. My thought on this thread is that if you realize the difference between empathy and sympathy maybe you can understand our position better. Which would benefit you and us I think. And it is something we can have fun with. Here is an old one from my teenage years that always got me. 

DB

Hello everyone,

I will come back to you later, my friends. We are not done yet. And I have a good service here for some of you. Please accept my apologize for not anwering right now. The job is much. But on weekend I hope to communicate with you. 

See you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aik said:

Hello everyone,

I will come back to you later, my friends. We are not done yet. And I have a good service here for some of you. Please accept my apologize for not anwering right now. The job is much. But on weekend I hope to communicate with you. 

See you.

What are you aik, Eastern Orthodox? 

42 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

What are you aik, Eastern Orthodox? 

He said on another thread that his church is a type of Slavic evangelical.

• Super Moderator

I feel a deep spiritual connection with this song,  especially at about 45 seconds in.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I feel a deep spiritual connection with this song,  especially at about 45 seconds in.

🤣 sounds like you professor!! 

On 12/8/2022 at 6:39 AM, DarkBishop said:

@aik

Let's take a breather. After all we are human right? That is one thing we have in common. More than likely we are never going to agree about religion. But that's ok. I'm happy with the way I believe and you are happy with yours. And that's what matters. Because ultimately, whether you believe in heaven and hell or not. I think we can all agree that life is short on this earth so we need to make the most of it. 

We can be just as passionate about not believing as you are about believing. If you will entertain me for a few minutes I want to play a song that I think everyone probably knows. Maybe not. But whatever. 

I posted about empathy. And you never really responded. So I want to share with you, a recent moment when I was empathetic for someone. 

Keep in mind I am exchristian and do not share this person's belief. Also when I was a preacher I was not catholic. I was holiness. Even then I did not share in this person's beliefs. 

I was listening to the radio and the Beatles, "let it be" came on. 

I don't know if the feeling of the song will translate well. Maybe there is a version in your language you could listen to as well. But I hope it does. 

Anyway, this song was written by Paul McCartney and he sings it with the Beatles. I've heard this song many times and can feel the heartfelt belief he has in Mary, the mother of Jesus. He sees her as a wise mother that gives him comfort, peace, and love during times of confusion,  questions, and hardships. 

He sings about the mother Mary like you talk about Jesus. This is who he looks up to. And I can empathize with with him even though I was never catholic, even though I am now a non-believer. I can feel what he is feeling when he wrote this. I dont know his life or if he is a good Christian or not. But when he wrote this. He felt close to the one he worshipped. The one he felt most comfortable praying to in that moment. 

What do you think about the song Aik?  Just try to feel what he is trying to convey. Don't focus on what is different than your own beliefs. Just try to enjoy the song from his point of view. 

Thanks,

Dark Bishop

Hi my friend.

I have read the text of the song. Well I think he puts his own mother's picture in "Mother Mary". Though he could transfer the word of his mother to the mother of Jesus. But anyway in this song we can see something which brought him to humbleness, to have power to overcome troubles. And he shares with us. It's a good point i think. 

14 hours ago, aik said:

Hi my friend.

I have read the text of the song. Well I think he puts his own mother's picture in "Mother Mary". Though he could transfer the word of his mother to the mother of Jesus. But anyway in this song we can see something which brought him to humbleness, to have power to overcome troubles. And he shares with us. It's a good point i think. 

Ok well in this article it said this about the source:

"McCartney's mother was also named Mary, which has been cited as an inspiration for the "Mother Mary" lyric.

However, when in asked if it had any reference to the Virgin Mary, The Beatle has been known to leave it up to fans' interpretation."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.radiox.co.uk/artists/beatles/let-it-be-meaning-story-lyrics/

So let's take it from the Virgin Mother of Jesus perspective. @Shinzon posted another video singing about the Holy Mother. 

Once again. They sing about the mother Mary. Like you talk about Jesus. They have a true heart felt belief of a close connection to the Mother Mary. If your an evangelical Christian I'm sure you don't have the same sentiment as a catholic Believer does. Yet you and the catholic are both considered Christian. 

Here is the point aik,

You claim that your personal connection with Jesus and the subjective evidence that you provide as a result of that connection and the emotions you feel from that connection are just as good as any objective evidence that we could provide. 

Yet we see here that people from the catholic church have the same feelings toward the Mother of Jesus as well. And to go further they probably have similar connections with the apostles and saints. 

So the same subjective evidence you offer for Jesus is the same subjective evidence that they offer for their beliefs. 

But I don't want to get away from the core purpose of this thread. And thats to see if you have empathy with someone who believes something different than yourself. 

Could you feel the emotion in the lyrics that you read? Could you feel that he felt the same way about the mother Mary in that instance as you would feel about Jesus or the Holy Ghost?

Dark Bishop