Goodbye Jesus

Cant trust the trusted people

Pinkbunion

It's mind boggling to me how some of the people we trust the most (e.g. parents, authority figures, religious leaders etc.) are the ones who taught us about religion, which could have negative effects on us 

On 12/12/2022 at 5:06 PM, Pinkbunion said:

It's mind boggling to me how some of the people we trust the most (e.g. parents, authority figures, religious leaders etc.) are the ones who taught us about religion, which could have negative effects on us 

Just getting started, cool. Welcome to ExChrist. Most religious folk don't have problems. Their religions, parents and relatives, the church etc. were gentle with them. The main problem with religion IMO is simply that you're being taught pure BS. Most everything in the Bible is fiction. Often religious folk have good morals and are charitable, but few Christians know that many atheists have good morals also, and sometimes even higher morals.  When atheists do good things and sacrifice their life they do it for pure altruism, knowing there is no afterlife.

I do not like believing in the lies that are taught by all religions.  

I like Manila instead  :) 

Yep, I agree :D The doctrines of religion causes negative effects on us. But, the people believing in them could be good people. Atheism really helped me in many ways, but I'm still interested in keeping the positive effects of religion by having my own spirituality, and leaving the negative stuff behind, such as bad doctrines, ideas, rituals, traditions etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinkbunion said:

But they, like many generations before them, were conditioned (programmed) to believe it was the truth, and to believe they were doing you a favor by leading you to jesus.  I held onto the basic morals of Jesus teaching that are known to promote life and wellbeing, but discarded the belief that it was divinely inspired.   And I discarded the belief that the god described in the bible is real.  And the rituals were never inspiring to me, so that was easily left behind.  The only thing I have missed is the sense of community I had there, and the loss of some friends due to leaving.  

I also missed the community, so right now, I"m looking at online sites for community, such as this one. :D It's very hard to find like-minded people from where I live.

6 hours ago, Pinkbunion said:

I also missed the community, so right now, I"m looking at online sites for community, such as this one. :D It's very hard to find like-minded people from where I live.

Well, you are very welcome to our community, Pinkbunion!  It IS important, especially in the early stages of deconversion, to have a community of fellow travelers to hang out with.  It can be a lonely time, but being in a community with others makes it so much better.  I’ve learned so much more since I joined here and made some good friends.  I hope you will too.  I’d like to hear more about your story whenever you feel comfortable telling it.  For now, welcome again.  I’m glad you joined us!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pinkbunion said:

I also missed the community, 

Do you have any Unitarian Universalist churches in your area?  They fellowship agnostics, or any kind of "spiritualism".  In our city there is a Buddhaist who comes in and leads a meditation group, etc.