Goodbye Jesus

Done With Christianity

Art D

Here's the playlist link to my new YouTube channel "Done With Christianity." Comments welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Po-3rclY8&list=PLEU2CKVKVzL30yDOUz8belD7siRKTb9Nd

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Welcome, Art D.  I hope you don't mind, I'm going to embed your link for convenience. 

• Like 1

Welcome Art!   Ex-Church of Christ here.  My logical mind took me on a similar path out of the church.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a long time since I stopped going to church. But my mother has been keeping my membership alive by managing a parish register. Even though I am not a christian, I am Chatholic on paper. I am really done with Christianity. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dearnear said:

But my mother has been keeping my membership alive by managing a parish register. 

Parents sometimes have a very hard time turning loose of the fantasy.  It is sad, but I understand your not pretending to be something you are not.  My parents were heartbroken and felt they had failed in some way.

• Super Moderator

I think my mom was even more disappointed when I first took an interest in Buddhism than she was when I told her I was no longer a christian.  I think as long as I was just an agnostic, or just an apostate, she still believed there was maybe hope for me to come back into the fold.  But once false gods and idols and incense sticks were involved...

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:29 AM, Weezer said:

Parents sometimes have a very hard time turning loose of the fantasy.  It is sad, but I understand your not pretending to be something you are not.  My parents were heartbroken and felt they had failed in some way.

Why failed? What has your leaving Christianity got to do with them failing?

11 hours ago, Dearnear said:

In Christianity, one of the goals of child rearing is to produce a Christian child.  That’s why they are taken to Sunday School, youth camps etc by their parents.  Children of existing believers are the biggest source of new believers in most churches, I believe, so it’s seen as a form of preaching and soul saving.

15 hours ago, Dearnear said:

I don't recall where it is located, but there is a scripture that says, "Bring up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it".  So they thought they had done somethnig wrong to cause me to depart from the way I should go.  I reminded them that I was not a criminal.  I just no longer believed like they did about religion.  We never discussed it again, so I don't know if they ever changed their mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Art D, I like your video very much. Hope you continue to post here and like the conversations here with our members. If you read this posting, why do you call yourself a non-theist in your profile rather than an atheist? Are you a spiritualist, or is there another belief for a non-theist? As for myself, I am a pure atheist. I believe nearly all of the Bible is pure fiction, Jesus, God, Angels, Devils, etc., and that science can disprove most of Genesis, and the Book of Revelation is entirely ridiculous concerning science.