Goodbye Jesus

ok question

Guest grizzlyfireguy

Guest grizzlyfireguy

hello guys, I am a Christian. I thought you should know first of all...I was wondering why you, in a way, make fun of our religion as opposed to, say, making fun of muslims or anything? I mean, I just get the feeling like you all hate us because of our beliefs. So i'm just wondering...

-Ricky

oh and i'm not, in any way, trying to mess with you guys...I was just hoping for a legitamite discussion. Thank you.

Well, we are ex-xtians, and as such we are more likely to make fun of what we have experienced. Also, many of us feel that xtianity hurt us in some way, which causes the feelings of malice.

If we were ex-muslims, I'm sure we would act that way towards islam.

I personally don't hate christians (the average christian that is, I hate fundies of all creeds), but I hate the christian teachings because I feel that they hold people back, and cause harm to the world.

Guest grizzlyfireguy

ok gotcha...i just feel like people are going out of their way to make fun of God or Christians...and I can, in some ways, relate to your thoughts...i have had them before... but if you have been hurt by Christians, or from being a Christian, I understand. But it's something that you should be done with, not try to cause trouble about...I just, in a way, don't see a point in it...if you don't believe, you don't believe.

-Ricky

It is a good why to vent feelings. Many of us were christians for a good chunck of our lives, and that is a lot of stuff to get rid of and it is hard to just move on (I know, I've tried). This is merely one of the ways I deal with my frustrations/anger.

Guest grizzlyfireguy
ok gotcha...i just feel like people are going out of their way to make fun of God or Christians...and I can, in some ways, relate to your thoughts...i have had them before... but if you have been hurt by Christians, or from being a Christian, I understand. But it's something that you should be done with, not try to cause trouble about...I just, in a way, don't see a point in it...if you don't believe, you don't believe.

-Ricky

ok got it, i guess...but it seems like you'll dwell on it more if you keep bagging on it....but i wouldn't know...any other reasons?

-Ricky

You have to understand the difference between dealing with the problems (which christians seem to have a problem with, not saying that you do though) and not letting it go. I want to let it go, but it repressents 18 years of my 21 year life, so there is a lot of thoughts, emotions, and happenings that I have to deal with.

Any other reasons? Well, I do like making jokes at other's expense.

hello guys, I am a Christian. I thought you should know first of all...I was wondering why you, in a way, make fun of our religion as opposed to, say, making fun of muslims or anything? I mean, I just get the feeling like you all hate us because of our beliefs. So i'm just wondering...

-Ricky

oh and i'm not, in any way, trying to mess with you guys...I was just hoping for a legitamite discussion. Thank you.

What's with the pussy Christians comin on saying "i'm...i'm...i'm not here to cause any trouble or anything...b-b-b-but, why are you guys such assholes?"

haha, I'm just kidding.

I bag on you guys cuz it's fun. I bag on muslims because it's fun. I bag on any religious person I think needs a good baggin. I don't hate any of you, I dislike many of you, but not hate.

I don't see the Ex-C members making fun of christian gods nearly as much as the blockhead apologists in all truth.

It's far easier to make fun of someone who keeps hammering the same old thrice-defeated lines than bronze-man dieties, christian, muslim, or otherwise.

Merlin

Guest grizzlyfireguy
You have to understand the difference between dealing with the problems (which christians seem to have a problem with, not saying that you do though) and not letting it go.  I want to let it go, but it repressents 18 years of my 21 year life, so there is a lot of thoughts, emotions, and happenings that I have to deal with.

Any other reasons?  Well, I do like making jokes at other's expense.

i suppose i hear ya, you know....i'm sorry you have to deal with whatever it is you have to deal with...

-Ricky

Dont feel the need to apologise for stuff that is not your fault, it has not gone down to well on the past forums...

I understand what you are saying, though. It is just that you only really see the attacks on Christianity and dont take any notice of the attack on other belief systems. That is because it is the centre of your universe so any attack on it seems like the whole world is against you, where from a less biased point of view everyone makes attack on everyone elses religions. The only reason Christianity would be especially singled out is because it is the biggest. You have to admit that seeing your faith as the only persecuted one does in some way validate it and make it feel kind of special?

Quite oddly, non-believers will only make jokes about what they dont believe in whilst many Christians (and people from any other religion) will hope you burn in hell for your unbelief.

This doesn't apply to everyone here, or even anyone here necessarily. But there are people that are militant in their beliefs- no matter where on the spectrum they lie (be it pawns of God or no belief in God at all). Many of those will sit there and bash others who do not share like beliefs/thoughts/opinions. You find the same thing in politics. There just are crazy fundamentalists in any thought group.

And then you get people who are harmed by people belonging to a particular group- be it when they are members of the group themselves, or not in the group at all. And that hurts people and pisses them off. Some lashing out is healthy. It is a pretty normal coping method.

And then you have people who don't know anything about other thought groups and do it out of sheer ignorance. They do it because they are so set in being right that they don't even realize how stupid they sound and how jerky they come off.

And then you have folks that do it because they think it is funny. They like the attention, ruffling feathers.

And then you get people who don't really carefully choose their words and say things about an entire group when they don't mean EVERYONE. Or they are lazy and don't feel like putting qualifiers. It is easier to say Group X does this when that is what you experienced (and many others) instead of saying People ABC in Sect 123 of Group X do this.

You see this with religion, politics, race, nationality, gender, sexuality, whatever. It isn't unique to this site and Christians, or nonchristians and christians. You find it everywhere. You either let it bug you or you take it with a grain of salt.

If you aren't one of the people that exhibit the characteristics of those who abuse theology to cause harm to others then it shouldn't bug you. And occasionally you'll get a note from someone letting you know when they say Christians do Z and Z isn't very nice, they didn't include you in that.

Why make fun of Xianity?

Lots of reasons. It's the religion most of us here left, some because of painful experiences. It can take awhile to get over that kind of thing. Sometimes mockery is part of the healing process.

Sometimes Xians just do or say things that are so patently ridiculous or nutty that I don't know what else to do but laugh. Especially, for instance, nutwacking fundies that claim Neopagans sacrifice babies and spend nights of the full moon engaging in wild orgies. :huh: (Where do they get this stuff?? Or am I just missing the really great parties?? :lol: )

For me it isn't about hating anybody because of their beliefs. What I hate is the behavior of some Xians. Like the patronizing "you were never a reeeaaal Christian" stuff, or the insistence of many Xians that I need to re-convert or go to hell for all eternity. To do and say ridiculous or obnoxious things invites ridicule, in my book.

But it's something that you should be done with, not try to cause trouble about..<snip>...it seems like you'll dwell on it more if you keep bagging on it....

<soapbox> I might remind you that neither you nor anyone has any idea how long it "should" take anyone to deal with something emotionally. Neither do you know what that process might be like for anyone else - it may be true that some people end up dwelling on things if they keep "bagging on it"; perhaps this is true for you as an individual. (In which case, for you, that wouldn't be useful for dealing with something.)

I know that for me, it often takes a great deal of focusing on an issue, for a long time, and sometimes repetitively, before I'm able to fully process it and move on. So I think I'll wipe the "should" off of me and make as much trouble about it as I bally well need to. </soapbox>

Yeah. That's mah $0.02, adjusted for inflation. :pyth:

-Ricky

Nice persecution complex you have going there. Generally, we don't hate you because of your beliefs. You'd be hard pressed to find exchristian bigots here; there are however plenty of exchristians.

We make fun of christianity, because that is what we know, and we know we don't like it. There are many reasons for that, but you'll probably be surprised to find that most have to do with research into christianity and finding that it is more or less nonsensical.

Though you'll probably feel free to ignore this fact like most christians, and decide that, in fact, we were all hurt in some emotional way and never really knew jebus.

Forgive me if I'm a little too skeptical.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I do hate Christians. And I have every reason to. It would take me an age to explain why, however, so I choose not to regale you all with it at this time...

Guest Son of Belial
Though you'll probably feel free to ignore this fact like most christians, and decide that, in fact, we were all hurt in some emotional way and never really knew jebus.

Forgive me if I'm a little too skeptical.

Yeah, it does get old. Christians love to come in and go "I understand you've been hurt by Christians or the Church in the past... but I just want you to see that there are some good, kind Christians out there, so we're not all bad. You don't have to reject Christ just because some bad Christians are out there!" Most of them never stop to think that "bad Christians" is only a symptom of the problem. The main problem is that Christianity is bullshit.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I do hate Christians. And I have every reason to. It would take me an age to explain why, however, so I choose not to regale you all with it at this time...

I agree. I hate the majority of them too. Anyone who will lie to themself will lie to you.

Well this question has been adequately answered but I would just like to add that I, who have never been a christian (thank god), make fun of christianity because it is the dominant religion in my country and life. I don't really get any muslims coming up to me and trying to convert me but christians... I seem to get them on a weekly basis. I guess I just want to be prepared for them.

I make fun of Christianity instead of Islam because more stupid people are Christian than Muslim. That isn't to say Muslims are smarter- just that there are fewer of them.

(Oh, and Christians are less likely to blow up your house if you say that, too.)

I make fun of Christianity instead of Islam because more stupid people are Christian than Muslim. That isn't to say Muslims are smarter- just that there are fewer of them.

(Oh, and Christians are less likely to blow up your house if you say that, too.)

I don't know Valgeir. When was the last time you watched the news and saw a muslim from the western world who had done something crazy?

It always seems to be the christians.

-Ricky

Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want to. Everyone has the right to practice whatever religion they want to without interference from anyone, or to practice no religion at all, if that is what they choose to do. There are many differing perspectives among our own membership here. Some of us acknowledge a Universal Higher Power/Intelligence and some do not. The one thing that binds us together is that we have left Xtianity.

The problem I personally have with Xtianity is its exclusionist CLAIMS, e.g.:

1. "the bible is the inerrant word" of "perfect" biblegod

2. "we have the only true religion"

3. "we have the only way to "be saved""

4. "you're going to hell" if you don't accept a god-man named "Jesus" of "Nazareth".

The biblical errancy, incongruity, internal self-contradiction, dogmatic illogic, and lack of extra-biblical corroboration (archeaologically or demonstrably by believers) prove that you have no empirical foundation upon which to base such claims, and thus no valid basis upon which to proselytize.

Other things I find disgusting are Xtian power-seekers, guilt/shame/control-mongering and money-grubbing by prelates who engage in dupery and fleecing of the sheeple.

Additionally, some of the more rabid fundie Xtians are under the illusion that they are going to establish authoritatively baseless biblical texts and man-made Xtian dogmatic rules and constructs as national societal "law" via government legislation and corruption (e.g. neo-con religionist voter fraud that we've seen and or abrogation of the Constitution/Separation Of Powers, etc.) or implement a theocracy. I can assure you that that will not happen with out a fight to-the-death in the streets.

As has been said "Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proofs". You're welcome to come in here, as many have, and discuss the above-listed exclusionist claims that your religion makes. I can't however, recall any Xtian ever coming in here and successfully defending any of those claims....

K

I'm surrounded with Xtians, not Muslims. Both religions are equally stupid IMO.

I make fun of people who do stupid things. If Christians would stop doing stupid things so often, I wouldn't have a reason to make fun of them.

I make fun of people who do stupid things. If Christians would stop doing stupid things so often, I wouldn't have a reason to make fun of them.

Perhaps you should be thankful for stupid people? If it weren't for stupid people you may not have any fun.

:Doh: And if it weren't for stupid people there may not be any people at all.

-Ricky

Hi ...guy,

Welcome to the board.

You question has been adequately answered.

Just would like to say that we try to hate the Christianity and not the Christian.

But you know that we are just human and the former sometimes spills into the latter.

There is no Atheist Holy Spirit to make us perfect like you Christians have. Which is why Christians hate no one --- right?

Matthew 7:3-5

When you try to measure which religions have the greatest influence on Western societies, Christianity will come out on top.

I don't "pick on" Christianity, I address all religions in my philosophical criticisms. Some are just a bit too small and insignificant to point out.

Do I also stand against Islam? Judaism? Yes, of course. Sadly, it just simply isn't politically correct these days. I'll try to work up the balls to criticize everyone equally, though.