Goodbye Jesus

Your Worst Fundy Fear

Guest Emerson

I'd say America truely becoming a Neo-Con Fundy ideal.

I would have to say you two basically covered it!

My husband is easily swayed, and he is so unhappy about his deconversion, that I fear he may convert back.

And any more influence of the Christian Right or other Christian policy (especially in abortion issues) would surely drive me to suicide. Okay, not really, but I would definitely start seeking a way to move out.

Well I had a fundy fear come true. I lost one of my oldest and dearest childhood friends to a very devout sect. He will not associate with me because I reresent his "Dark Evil Past." I mean we were best friends since we were seven, and now, unless I convert, he will not speak to me. The last time I saw him he just had this zombielike appearence. My friend is gone................It's just unbelievable beyond words to see that happen to someone you knew so well.

Hands down...far-fetched though it sounds, our government slipping into a theocracy. I read about Dubya and his "faith" and his support from the Christian Right. I go to Christian message boards I once frequented, and read posts with titles like "What Sins Do You Think Should Be Illegal?" and read people writing, with a straight face (so to speak), about this being a Christian Nation and even suggesting that other religions be outlawed.

These things scare me because they are not necessarily dismissable as part of the Fundie lunatic fringe; people I have met or, in online terms, encountered are by and large educated, reasonably intelligent, seemingly rational in other contexts...yet when the question of faith and its related question of morality come up, it's as if all rationality evaporates like mist, and the wide-eyed True Believer Hyde starts snarling once Jekyll has been safely dispatched.

I used to think I was clever when I said that the reason I prefer our religious extremists to the kind we're seeing in places like Iraq is that at least ours don't blow shit up...but now I'm thinking that I'm being naive. Once you convince yourself...and worse, a cadre of delusional others...that God is on your side, and He's pissed, and he ha told you to change the evil world by any means necessary...seems to me that bullets and bombs aren't really that many steps away.

All of which, now that I've types it, sounds paranoid as hell, but then again I haven't filled up my usual quart of coffee yet this morning....

Well, all of my worst fundie nightmares have come true!

1.) Being surrounded by nothing but fundie christians...

2.) Being prayed for and prayed over on a regular basis...

3.) Having to listen to the Trinity Broadcast Network(my mom's bedroom is right down the hall and she watches that shit 24/7)

And get this...I have a beautiful black cat, and now my family members(except my mom. She loves Persephone more than me) are wondering if she is responsible for my deconversion...

A GODDAMN CAT!

Other nightmares...Ending up falling in love with someone who becomes a fundie(I don't see how some people manage!).

Guest Emerson

Ben you did raise a good point. Will fundamentalism be the downfall of our country? Could it really get that bad? I'd like to know what others think about this.

Why did we get this way? I just don't understand it. :(

guess mine would be dating a bf who became "born again" unsure_old.gif ph34r.gif

I probobly wouldnt date a fundy girl. My fear would be having a girl turn fundy while dating me and refusing to listen to reason, and me being able to do nothing but watch her mind rot away into oblivion. That would kill me. literally.

My husband is easily swayed, and he is so unhappy about his deconversion, that I fear he may convert back.

Why is that?

:eek:

My ultimate fundy fear would be the Rapture happening.

JP, even as a Christian I knew that the "rapture" wasn't going to happen. There is no Biblical support for that.

Mine is pretty much religion mixed with politics screwing our lives up again.

Ugh

:Doh:

One of my kids becoming a Fundy!

The Rapture is going to happen next year. 2007. According to Hal Lindsay's book, The Late Great Planet Earth, the rapture was supposed to take place prior to 1988, because Isreal was founded in 1948, a generation in the bible is 40 years, blah, blah, blah and viola...It didn't happen.

So, now they've recalculated Israel to being founded by GOD in 1967, by man in 1948 so it doesn't count. So, the rapture is gonna happen next year.

Taph

The Rapture is going to happen next year. 2007. According to Hal Lindsay's book, The Late Great Planet Earth, the rapture was supposed to take place prior to 1988, because Isreal was founded in 1948, a generation in the bible is 40 years, blah, blah, blah and viola...It didn't happen.

So, now they've recalculated Israel to being founded by GOD in 1967, by man in 1948 so it doesn't count. So, the rapture is gonna happen next year.

Taph

:lmao:

So what happens when it doesn't happen again next year? The mental

gymnastics these fundies play are freakingly hilarious!

So what happens when it doesn't happen again next year? The mental

gymnastics these fundies play are freakingly hilarious!

They'll say that a biblical generation can also be 70 or 100 years, and keep resetting the date.

I stopped listening to date-setters a long time ago because of an experience I had back in 1988, but I find their mental gymnastics hilarious, too! Check out these links:

http://www.religionisbullshit.org/2006/04/...e-to-glory.html

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/9941/index.html

Glory!

Taph

The reasoning behind the countdown starting in 1967 vs. 1948 was that Israel took control of the holy city of Jerusalem during the Six Day War. I have also heard of variations on the generation length. Some rapture enthusiasts say it's 40 years, others 50, some 60. Who the fuck knows? I used to have great fear of being "left behind". I didn't want to go through the tribulation and have my head cut off if I didn't take the mark! Looking back, what utter nonsense! :rolleyes:

God has no sense of normal timing, when he feel like ending the world, he will do so without warning.

"Like a thief comes, so will be the Son of Man's coming will be." Jesus.

It will be foreshadowed with signs, woes and tribulation.

I think there will be no or few Christians by the time the world ends which in that case, you can conclude the world will end there and now then.

God has no sense of normal timing, when he feel like ending the world, he will do so without warning.

"Like a thief comes, so will be the Son of Man's coming will be." Jesus.

It will be foreshadowed with signs, woes and tribulation.

I think there will be no or few Christians by the time the world ends which in that case, you can conclude the world will end there and now then.

Of course your god has no sense of timing, he's imaginary! :Doh: The second part of your post, huh?

There'll be starving people, despotic regimes, a rise in crime, a rise of heatheism, more than normal amounts of disasters, diseases before The Lord comes.

Praise the Lord!

There'll be starving people, despotic regimes, a rise in crime, a rise of heatheism, more than normal amounts of disasters, diseases before The Lord comes.

Praise the Lord!

So this has not been happening since the dawn of time? You got to be fucking kidding me! Are you a troll?

Actually, the rapture was supposed to happen January 1, 2000.

When I was a fundie I was marking my calendar.

So I guess I should get ready for the new date then?

More like a occasional poster that is funny to everybody.

More like a occasional poster that is funny to everybody.

Yes, I hope you are joking. You're not that fucked up are you? :phew:

Of course, A T is my boyfriend. He does this for laughs, the cocky old boy!

God bless him.

And get this...I have a beautiful black cat, and now my family members(except my mom. She loves Persephone more than me) are wondering if she is responsible for my deconversion...

A GODDAMN CAT!

Are you serious?! :eek: Why would they think this? B/c black cats are traditionally associated with witches or something? :Doh:

I thought we weren't supposed to listen to those who gave dates for the Rapture, because "no man knows the date or time," or something like that.

9/13/07 is a date the fundies like to throw around.

I thought we weren't supposed to listen to those who gave dates for the Rapture, because "no man knows the date or time," or something like that.

9/13/07 is a date the fundies like to throw around.

Doesn't keep them from trying! None of these fundies are getting any

younger, you know, and they want Jeeebus to rescue them from death

before they kick the bucket. (And xtians say we heathens are terrified

of death. Sheesh!)