Goodbye Jesus

Anyone Remember This Tract?

Guest georgemacdonald

Guest georgemacdonald

I was scared into Christianity at the age of 13 by a tract (that I thought was by Chick) where two guys were traveling down a road in a car and the one says that he is considering giving his life over to God. His friend mocks him and convinces him to reject God. Then they are hit by a train... The scene cuts to them in hell and the guy says to his friend something like, "You said there was no God!" The "friend" pulls off his head and its a demon!!

Anyone remember this tract? I looked for it on the Chick website but I couldn't find it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Princess Keesha

• Grandpa Harley

• ShackledNoMore

• Thackerie

I was scared into Christianity at the age of 13 by a tract (that I thought was by Chick) where two guys were traveling down a road in a car and the one says that he is considering giving his life over to God. His friend mocks him and convinces him to reject God. Then they are hit by a train... The scene cuts to them in hell and the guy says to his friend something like, "You said there was no God!" The "friend" pulls off his head and its a demon!!

Anyone remember this tract? I looked for it on the Chick website but I couldn't find it.

Yes! That's one of Brother Jack's best! It's called "The Long Trip." The men aren't driving down the wide and spacious highway that leads to destruction; they're walking down it. What I like are the "heretics" shown following the path to hell behind them, among them Roman Catholics, Buddhists, Muslims, amd Jehovah's Witnesses carrying a copy of The Watchtower. The sinner's wife and children hear the Good News, leave him behind, and take the rough road that leads to eternal life. One of the children even sees the Lord Jesus in the distance! Isn't that a beautiful sentiment?

This tract is similar to another titled "Somebody Goofed," in which a condemned sinner is misled into deferring his repentance and winds up in hell as a result. There the demons mock him because he "goofed" in presuming he had more time to turn his life around.

Even more interesting is "The Assignment," in which pairs of angels and demons struggle over a single sinner's soul. One of the angels asks another if the time is right to achieve a "penetration." They ultimately fail and the sinner winds up in hell. In another tract a sinner is led to believe he will party in hell along with his worthless cigarette-sucking, beer-guzzling, flesh-worshipping friends. As he falls into hell through a chute in the wall of a cave, he sees a sign that says, "Party Cancelled Due to FIRE."

I absolutely adore Brother Jack's tracts. Don't you?

post-1253-1147046791.gif

Actually I think I still have the one I think you're talking about. it's one dude being preached to by a guy on the street, then another 'friend' in black comes up, and mocks the preacher, then they get in a car where the guy in black convinces the other guy that religion is bullshit, then they are killed, and the guy in black reveals that he was a demon all along.

Guest georgemacdonald
This tract is similar to another titled "Somebody Goofed," in which a condemned sinner is misled into deferring his repentance and winds up in hell as a result. There the demons mock him because he "goofed" in presuming he had more time to turn his life around.

Thanks for your reply Princess. This is actually the one I was thinking about, "Somebody Goofed." I didn't see it on the Chick site.

Honestly, I am not a fan of the Chick tracts, except that I can acknowledge their artistry and creativity to an extent, and I believe that Jack is sincere.

"Somebody Goofed" played a significant role in messing up my life. I think it is not holy or virtuous to build a fire, plan on throwing people into it, and then make them praise you as merciful for not doing so. The guy in "somebody goofed" is guilty only of a bit of procrastination and rational doubt, and for that God will allow him to be tortured forever in fire? If an earthly father did that, protective services would be called on him and he would be thrown in jail. And rightly so...

Actually I think I still have the one I think you're talking about. it's one dude being preached to by a guy on the street, then another 'friend' in black comes up, and mocks the preacher, then they get in a car where the guy in black convinces the other guy that religion is bullshit, then they are killed, and the guy in black reveals that he was a demon all along.

Yep - that's the one. I was coming out of a Houston Rockets' game back in 1981 or so when that one was handed to me. I wonder what the giver of the tract is doing these days?

Thanks Brother Jeff... Reading your parody reminds me that the kid in the tract is quite young -- no wonder a 13 year old like myself could relate to the condemned guy. Also, the kid actually stood up for the evangelist, showing a trait of genuine kindness...

0003_12.gif

Thanks for your reply Princess. This is actually the one I was thinking about, "Somebody Goofed." I didn't see it on the Chick site.

Honestly, I am not a fan of the Chick tracts, except that I can acknowledge their artistry and creativity to an extent, and I believe that Jack is sincere.

"Somebody Goofed" played a significant role in messing up my life. I think it is not holy or virtuous to build a fire, plan on throwing people into it, and then make them praise you as merciful for not doing so. The guy in "somebody goofed" is guilty only of a bit of procrastination and rational doubt, and for that God will allow him to be tortured forever in fire? If an earthly father did that, protective services would be called on him and he would be thrown in jail. And rightly so...

Brother Jack puts a few of the older tracts, like the always controversial "Gay Blade," on the back burner. You should be able to read "Somebody Goofed" by following this URL...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0003/0003_01.asp

I'm sorry the tract messed up your life. Are you sure it wasn't your reaction to it that did that? How long were you messed up before you found a way out? I can remember being somewhat disturbed the first time I read "This Was Your Life" when I was every bit of seven. I had bad dreams about being cast into the Lake of Fire for a whole week after that. Then I realized that I had done nothing seriously wrong and had nothing to fear in the hereafter. I was then and still am a good girl who does no one any harm.

P.S. I always like to leave a copy of "Somebody Goofed" on the pillow whenever I stay at a hotel. This title is available in Spanish. :woohoo:

Guest georgemacdonald

I'm sorry the tract messed up your life. Are you sure it wasn't your reaction to it that did that? How long were you messed up before you found a way out? I can remember being somewhat disturbed the first time I read "This Was Your Life" when I was every bit of seven. I had bad dreams about being cast into the Lake of Fire for a whole week after that. Then I realized that I had done nothing seriously wrong and had nothing to fear in the hereafter. I was then and still am a good girl who does no one any harm.

Actually I just said that it played a significant role. I suppose I already had some vulnerabilites that made me susceptible to this kind of violent and abusive message. (If someone threatened my own son in this kind of way I would be majorly pissed off.) And then the evangelical church - pastors, youth leaders, Chritian friends - all confirmed this teaching that if you don't surrender your life to Christ you will go to a place of torment after death with no further chance at redemption. This view of God is a view of an abusive and unreasonable father who has total control. There is nothing more frightful -- it constitutes mental and spiritual rape as far as I am concerned, especially when aimed at the young as this tract is.

I can remember being somewhat disturbed the first time I read "This Was Your Life" when I was every bit of seven. I had bad dreams about being cast into the Lake of Fire for a whole week after that.

Are you sure it wasn't because your mother tied you to a chair with the rope she bought you for Christmas because you were nosing around in her attic?

• 1 year later...
Are you sure it wasn't because your mother tied you to a chair with the rope she bought you for Christmas because you were nosing around in her attic?

That wasn't me. That was my younger sister Tisha. She was always getting into trouble when we were little. I never did. I learned to fear God at a very early age -- along with His earthly representatives my loving mom and dad.

Yes! That's one of Brother Jack's best! It's called "The Long Trip." The men aren't driving down the wide and spacious highway that leads to destruction; they're walking down it. What I like are the "heretics" shown following the path to hell behind them, among them Roman Catholics, Buddhists, Muslims, amd Jehovah's Witnesses carrying a copy of The Watchtower. The sinner's wife and children hear the Good News, leave him behind, and take the rough road that leads to eternal life. One of the children even sees the Lord Jesus in the distance! Isn't that a beautiful sentiment?

Time to call out the bullshit.

Hoards of people walking into eternal flames of torment. Hoards of people who believe just as strongly in their respective religious fantasies as the Chick style born-again xians. People who have the same amount of evidence, the same amount of reason to believe in their version of god as the Chick style born-again xians: 0.

Oops, they picked the wrong religion. So the family marches on to paradise while the wife and children watch their husband/father march into eternal agony.

Fortunately, it is also a total fantasy, and not true. Unfortunately, it ruins some people's lives.

This is NOT a beautiful sentiment. This is twisted, sadistic and sick.

.... Unfortunately, it ruins some people's lives.

:ugh: Agreed, Shackled. Princess's enthusiastic gloating over these twisted, sick tracts that scare children speaks very poorly for her character. It isn't funny.

This sounds pretty scary: "I learned to fear God at a very early age -- along with His earthly representatives my loving mom and dad."

And this: "I'm sorry the tract messed up your life. Are you sure it wasn't your reaction to it that did that? How long were you messed up before you found a way out?" The false "christian sympathy" is disgusting.

Jeez, someone cue the music from "Psycho".

Jabberwock's dissections (worth a read):

Somebody Goofed

He doesn't seem to have done The Long Trip, but the rest are excellent, IMO.

That was an excellent job, and very funny, too. I look forward to reading his other Chick Tract dissections when I have a chance.

I also found "The Long Trip" on the Chick website, without commentary, of course: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0009/0009_01.asp

YouWereWrong.gif

I love the comment for this pic...it should be the "game over" screen to every video game.

Those tracts are horribly emotionally abusive, just as all aspects of fundy Christianity are.

Jabberwock's dissections (worth a read):

Somebody Goofed

He doesn't seem to have done The Long Trip, but the rest are excellent, IMO.

That was an excellent job, and very funny, too. I look forward to reading his other Chick Tract dissections when I have a chance.

I also found "The Long Trip" on the Chick website, without commentary, of course: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0009/0009_01.asp

Instead of just having some guy holding a sign at the side of the road, would it not make sense for God to just close the road? Oh, but wait, we are talking about the God of LOVE!!

Princess's enthusiastic gloating over these twisted, sick tracts that scare children speaks very poorly for her character. It isn't funny.

It is pretty funny when you assume, as I do, that our "princess" is a fraud perpetrated by one of our own. My guess is Fwee.

Time to call out the bull****.

Hoards of people walking into eternal flames of torment. Hoards of people who believe just as strongly in their respective religious fantasies as the Chick style born-again xians. People who have the same amount of evidence, the same amount of reason to believe in their version of god as the Chick style born-again xians: 0.

Oops, they picked the wrong religion. So the family marches on to paradise while the wife and children watch their husband/father march into eternal agony.

Fortunately, it is also a total fantasy, and not true. Unfortunately, it ruins some people's lives.

The "beautiful sentiment" I was referring to was the fact that the faithful wife children who chose to take the rough and narrow road that leads to Eternal Life were able to see Jesus beckoning to them in the distance. The throngs of deluded sinners who chose to march along the multi-lane highway that leads to destruction in hell had only their delusions to comfort them. The procrastinating, pleasure-loving husband was offered every opportunity to repent and follow his family up the long, hard road that leads to salvation, but he fooloshly chose not to. It isn't about following the wrong religion, although the follow of taking refuge in false doctrines is highlighted in the holy Gospel tract. God's One True Church of Holy Assurance teaches that there are True Believers in most of the world's religions -- including secular humanism and Godless atheism -- although we're not too sure about $cientology or Islam.

Many of us believe in an actual burning hell and feel we have to warn unrepentant sinners that its torments await them in the hereafter. We're not using scare tactics any more than the government is when its agents post signs on our nation's highways that warn drivers about the dangers of hairpin curves and falling rocks.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do His commandments: His praise endureth for ever" (Psalm 111:10).

Crown Princess Keesha Hickey Holloway

Direct Descendant of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba

Instead of just having some guy holding a sign at the side of the road, would it not make sense for God to just close the road? Oh, but wait, we are talking about the God of LOVE!!

That's right. God is Love (I John 4:8), but God also demands truth, justice, and holiness. You can't expect the Creator of the Universe to do everything for you, or to make life simple and effortless for His special creations. You don't expect Him to tie your shoes for you every day, do you? You shouldn't expect Him to make attaining salvation as easy as pie either. We must freely choose life over death, and cultivate our gardens according to God's special plan for our lives. He put booby traps throughout His Word to catch those who aren't sufficiently dedicated to unraveling its mysteries and persevering to the swifty-approaching End of Days as a faithful servant of the Lord. God's love is not to be confused with indulgence of any and all wrongdoing. Why should God have to deal with useless subversive filth in His Heavenly Kingdom? Can you imagine proponents of gay sham marriages storming the Pearly Gates? I can't. God simply won't allow it. Although His mercy is boundless, logic dictates that even He must eventually separate the wheat from the chaff, and cast the worthless chaff into the fiery furnace to be burned forever. Call it Sacred Sanitation if you will: hell serves an indispensable purpose in the grand scheme of things.

Praying for you,

Crown Princess Keesha

"That's right. God is Love (I John 4:8), but God also demands truth, justice, and holiness. You can't expect the Creator of the Universe to do everything for you, or to make life simple and effortless for His special creations. You don't expect Him to tie your shoes for you every day, do you? You shouldn't expect Him to make attaining salvation as easy as pie either."- Keisha

That is the problem there. Not having salvation leads to horrible consequences (hell) according to the bible. Therefore, it would be unfair of a God not to make attaining salvation easy. The consequences (again, according to the bible) are too great. For him to make it hard to become saved is simply not fair of him (that is, if one believes that he didn't make it easy). - lemon

We must freely choose life over death, and cultivate our gardens according to God's special plan for our lives. He put booby traps throughout His Word to catch those who aren't sufficiently dedicated to unraveling its mysteries and persevering to the swifty-approaching End of Days as a faithful servant of the Lord. --Keisha

If it is true that God placed booby traps in his word, that would make him the author of confusion which he claims not to be. I noticed in all of my discussions that christians often resort to that argument when they find biblical issues to be unexplainable and even unacceptable. The only booby traps in the bible are related to language transfer issues, not a god. Personally, I'll give the christian God much more credit than that. English is a complex language, thus we have problems with certain biblical passages (like the genealogy of Christ). BTW, could you bring in specific passages that you feel are booby traps?--lemon

God's love is not to be confused with indulgence of any and all wrongdoing. Why should God have to deal with useless subversive filth in His Heavenly Kingdom? Can you imagine proponents of gay sham marriages storming the Pearly Gates? I can't. God simply won't allow it. Although His mercy is boundless, logic dictates that even He must eventually separate the wheat from the chaff, and cast the worthless chaff into the fiery furnace to be burned forever. Call it Sacred Sanitation if you will: hell serves an indispensable purpose in the grand scheme of things.

Sacred sanitation? What a heartless and insensitive thing to say. I would not call ending up in a place like hell (if one believes in such) sacred sanitation, but a tragedy. --lemon

Praying for you,

If I were you, I would probably start by praying to your God for wisdom in presenting his word before talking to ex-christians or anyone else about it. --lemon

Crown Princess Keesha

God is Love (I John 4:8), but God also demands truth, justice, and holiness. You can't expect the Creator of the Universe to do everything for you, or to make life simple and effortless for His special creations. You don't expect Him to tie your shoes for you every day, do you? You shouldn't expect Him to make attaining salvation as easy as pie either.

What!!! Here I was thinking salvation was a free gift! Boy was I wrong!!! :Doh:

Salvation is a free gift (Ephesians 2:8), but contestants must meet eligibility requirements. These are not meant to be particularly stringent or exclusive. To qualify, all you need do is seriously and publicly renounce your sinful past. That means no more cursing, blaspheming, sabbath-breaking, smoking, drinking, overeating, dope-taking, hating, lusting, screwing around, stealing, cheating, prevaricating, coveting, or goofing off in God's Pervasive Presence. I call that a perfectly fair arrangement. It proves to God that you're worthy of a place in His Heavenly Kingdom.

I'll post some examples of Biblical booby traps later too -- along with the solutions to them. I'll be busy with a Faith Healing seminar most of the day today. Do skeptics ask Zen masters to explain their koans to the masses? Whether they do or not, Princess Keesha is here to help you find the True Way.

All my love and God's too,

Princess Keesha

Mother to Cornelius, Sheba, Persia, Perseus, and Theron

Salvation is a free gift (Ephesians 2:8), but contestants must meet eligibility requirements. These are not meant to be particularly stringent or exclusive. To qualify, all you need do is seriously and publicly renounce your sinful past. That means no more cursing, blaspheming, sabbath-breaking, smoking, drinking, overeating, dope-taking, hating, lusting, screwing around, stealing, cheating, prevaricating, coveting, or goofing off in God's Pervasive Presence. I call that a perfectly fair arrangement. It proves to God that you're worthy of a place in His Heavenly Kingdom.

I'll post some examples of Biblical booby traps later too -- along with the solutions to them. I'll be busy with a Faith Healing seminar most of the day today. Do skeptics ask Zen masters to explain their koans to the masses? Whether they do or not, Princess Keesha is here to help you find the True Way.

All my love and God's too,

Princess Keesha

Mother to Cornelius, Sheba, Persia, Perseus, and Theron

You mentioned drinking and smoking. When you bring back biblical passages, also provide those which call drinking smoking sins. It is interesting that you feel you are here to help us find the true way...it isn't a good idea to take on such a huge task since already, you are contradicting yourself. But I will wait until you post "biblical booby traps" later.

:lmao: See thread under Lion's Den - Salvation a Free Gift? to see what we think of this "free gift" with all the strings attached, as described by you. You are just laughable, you can't be serious.

Ro-bear, I sure hope you are right, that Keesha is a fraud.