Goodbye Jesus

My Band Has A New Demo

Foxy Methoxy

The band is called Disembodied Voices and I play bass and wrote the songs "Day Came Night," "Mind of Time," and "FFT." The Acid Washed Messiah is none other than ex-C's very own Jose who plays synth, mastered the demo, programmed the beats, and wrote the songs "Different," "Waiting in the Ether," and "Red Devils." You guys wouldn't know the Madam Lee Holiday, but she's our lead singer.

It's getting a lot of traffic, so if you get an error message, just click it a couple of times and it will eventually let you in.

Disembodied Voices new demo

disembodiedcoolness.jpg

That woman's voice is kinda freaky.

Gave me the creeps, actually. :twitch:

I listened to Red Devils, Day Came Night and Mind of Time. My audio on my work computer isn't exactly the greatest (internal speaker (1) ).

Creepy's good! Freaky's good, too! :D

We're going for a new style of progressive darkwave. I'm glad we could creep and freak you out.

Hi Foxy Methoxy,

I listened to Day came Night, FFT III and Red Devils.

I found the first one very promising. Especially when playing it very loud. Can you combine this one with another style? A mixture of two styles (not more) would be great! Some variation from very creepy to very sunny. Or whatever.

FFT, what does that mean? Fast Fourier Transform? Cool, especially the last minute. Good tune, sticks in mind. Does have such a turning point from vocal to instrumental. The best one of these three.

Red Devils. It's song in staccato. As if she is in a hurry, or like she things to forget her song. There is also no "real" melody line at the background. So I would put some more variation in the voice (high-low).

I only downloaded the first three, because it almost crashed my browser.

Keep on the good work!

Hi Foxy Methoxy,

I listened to Day came Night, FFT III and Red Devils.

I found the first one very promising. Especially when playing it very loud. Can you combine this one with another style? A mixture of two styles (not more) would be great! Some variation from very creepy to very sunny. Or whatever.

FFT, what does that mean? Fast Fourier Transform? Cool, especially the last minute. Good tune, sticks in mind. Does have such a turning point from vocal to instrumental. The best one of these three.

Red Devils. It's song in staccato. As if she is in a hurry, or like she things to forget her song. There is also no "real" melody line at the background. So I would put some more variation in the voice (high-low).

I only downloaded the first three, because it almost crashed my browser.

Keep on the good work!

Thanks for the input! Day Came Night was sort of a gift to Jack from the x-radio show "The Darkest Hours" who gave us our first exposure outside of Jacksonville, FL. He's going to start using it as the new intro to his show (which airs on Fridays 6pm-9-pm US Pacific Daylight Savings Time at www.xradio.biz/variety). I haven't experimented with it very much, but your suggestion intrigues me, so I'll play around with it on my side project, Da'ath Goetia http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/remielpolarb...case.yahoo.com/

FFT indeed refers to the algorithm and I'm glad you enjoyed my bass solo. I wrote the words and music as a Da'ath Goetia piece and the song has become Da'ath Goetia's calling card. However, I think what we've done with the tune in the Disembodied Voices version is our best effort to date.

Red Devils is sort of a hip hop - gothic rock - industrial fusion with a Country and Western lyrical feel. It's a strange number that people tend to love or scratch their heads to. I will be remaking it as a Da'ath Goetia song where I will be singing and will probably slow it down to a more melodic piece. Personally, I love this version of Red Devils. I also think it is very much indicative of what is going on with American underground music, particularly in underground hip hop and prog jazz. As far as I know, we are the only band to bring this type of rhythm fusion into the gothic/darkwave genre.

Also, the briefcase crashes in Firefox and other browsers, but works well in Internet Explorer for some odd reason.

I really appreciate your feedback and hope to hear more regarding some of our other tunes. Thank you so much.

• 1 month later...

We've just laid down 11 new recordings for our new and improved demo. Please give it a listen if you have a chance, esp if you're into goth/darkwave/new wave/industrial/ebm/electronic dance music etc. It's in the Disembodied Voices folder here:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/remielpolarbear

foxy i dig it.

if you care at all about my opinion :)

the songs i listened to need some kinda break in the beat, a tempo change or a time change, but yeah its cool. i used to try and run my little k-mart keyboard into a midi interface and use fruityloops to program beats and use the synths, its takes some skill.

foxy i dig it.

if you care at all about my opinion :)

the songs i listened to need some kinda break in the beat, a tempo change or a time change, but yeah its cool. i used to try and run my little k-mart keyboard into a midi interface and use fruityloops to program beats and use the synths, its takes some skill.

Your opinion does matter and is definately appreciated. We use only hardware in creating our synth sounds and beats, so fruity loops cannot assist us. But I understand what you're saying. However, I'm just the bass player and co-songwriter, so I'll leave the beat making up to Acid.

We've got a new song now that I play "live" drums on.

I put that in quotation marks because I don't have a drumset, but I'm using Midi to play drums on my keyboard.

I am quite the ten-fingered drummer if I do say so myself.

Also, goth typically does not use time changes, tempo changes, breakbeats, etc. For the most part, gothic rock and deathrock use a simple synth drum beat to keep time as the focus is on the vocals, guitar / distorted bass, and keyboards. It may seem odd, but this is a major part of identifying one's sound with the genre. Check out albums such as "First, Last, and Always" and / or "Floodland" by the Sisters of Mercy, or "Curse" by Alien Sex Fiend to see how this distinguishes goth and deathrock from other electronic genres. As the common goal of DV is to re-introduce goth and deathrock to a new generation, we are relying heavily on staying true to what we feel makes the old school goth sound distinctlive.

oh okay, i was wondering that when i wrote my comment before, i was a little worried i came off as an idiot. anymore i just listen to a few mainstream bands, and i tend to forget theres much more out there.

i always thought of goth rock as like bahaus to skinny puppy, i figured what was goth was simply an ambience or persona with no set rules on musicianship. goes to show what i know.. maybe i need to start expanding my field :)

p.s. wanna buy a bass amp, its hardly used but been collecting dust for 7 or 8 years now. :(

You didn't come off as an idiot at all. 80's deathrock is a very obscure form of music compared to other genres.

Bauhaus is the original goth band (although they consider themselves Brit Glam) and Skinny Puppy is an industrial band that is very popular amongst goths. We definately borrow some of our styling from both of those great bands.

How many watts is your bass amp?

i think its a 120w.

its a practice amp, a peavey with a 15in speaker. built in chorus, graphic EQ and if i remember right it has a pre and post jacks for looping a effects engine. its plenty loud enough to hear over an accoustic drum kit.

okay just looked it up, its a TNT115 model. 200w@2ohms 150@4ohms.

it has a foot switch input for chorus (and maybe the effects loop too)

7 band graphic EQ

it will clean up nice and and has only minor cosmetic injuries from going gigging with it.

it weights alot so shipping would be high, but ill take $150 for it..its just collecting dust anyway..

its not the current model but its still really new looking.

That's a really nice amp, but I was thinking you were talking about an amp head. Shipping on a combo amp would be insane. You could probably sell it locally and get some decent money for it though. Peavey makes the best combo amps, IMHO.

yeah it would almost be worth it to just convert the thing into a seperate head and cabinet. its seem it would have enough power for 2 ohm four 10 cabinet.

"Choke" is now available in the Disembodied Voices folder at:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/remielpolarbear

click on 01 Track 1---1 .wma 5798 KB 18-Jul-2006

Feedback would be appreciated.

Imperiously Yours,

Eternally Damned Foxy

Excellent! I like this style better than the slow, spooky kind. I like spooky once in a while when I'm in the right mood, induced by certain chemicals, if you know what I mean. ;)

In this song particular, compared to the others I've heard so far, the vocals seem a little more integrated into the song, and that's good IMO. As always, I'm lovin' the bass line! I think my other fave is still Red Devils.

You should know that one of my Dusky conures, Tommy, is moving his head and body to the beat of this song. :D

This song is still pretty morbid, although we went for a more upbeat tempo and club type beat for it. If it comes off as dancy and dark, then we accomplished our goal. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

This song is still pretty morbid, although we went for a more upbeat tempo and club type beat for it. If it comes off as dancy and dark, then we accomplished our goal. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Yep! Just a smidge dark balanced with an driving, dance-able beat. :)

Wow! If singing about hanging yourself is only a smidge dark, I want to hear what you consider really dark!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

4 new songs are up on our myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/daathgoetia

These have been recorded on better equipment. Lemme know whatcha think if you have the time to listen to them.