Goodbye Jesus

Most Convincing Argument Against Christianity

Guest fatalGlory

Guest fatalGlory

I'm new to these forums and they seem to lack a poll function so let's just try to stick to the options on our own.

The Gist: I am a christian and am preparing a short talk for my church. It's just a small personal project but I would like some opinions. Of those listed below, what do people believe is the most convincing argument against christianity?

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

*B*) Archaeological incompatibility

*C*) Just can't accept it ethically/phillosophically

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

*E*) The Fossil Record

*F*) Theism as a whole is just ignorant

*G*) It contains the flat-earth theory and other scientific errors

*H*) The fact of evolution proves there's no god

*I*) The bible is unreliable

*J*) Christians are just hypocrites

To make it easy for me to count, can each person include they're choice in the form of *X* somewhere in their post? That way I can just use firefox's find functions to quickly count them.

Cheers everyone, look forward to seeing the cross section.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Ouroboros

• Vigile

• KT45

K) Faith is a cop out used as an excuse to not think, learn, or face the tough questions and contradictions.

I'm new to these forums and they seem to lack a poll function so let's just try to stick to the options on our own.

The Gist: I am a christian and am preparing a short talk for my church. It's just a small personal project but I would like some opinions. Of those listed below, what do people believe is the most convincing argument against christianity?

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

*E*) The Fossil Record

To make it easy for me to count, can each person include they're choice in the form of *X* somewhere in their post? That way I can just use firefox's find functions to quickly count them.

D is the worst argument. Why would a bad movie with no character development make me what to leave the faith.

H is a gay argument as well.

The best ones you have are C, I, J, and maybe G.

You need to make a better list of reasons though.

EDIT

Oh and welcome FatalGlory

#1 - There is a Poll function. You simply missed it. Oh well.

#2 - Your choices are laughable. Especially the DaVinci Code choice. What the hell does a work of fiction have to do with anything? You Christians need to get over your preoccupation with movies, TV and novels. If a book or a movie were all it takes to topple a religion, then your cause would have been lost centuries ago. Get over it. It's just a stinking book/movie. Even atheists find it bad fiction.

#3 - Speaking of "stinking books", THE most convincing argument against Christianity IS your so-called Holy Bible®. All one need do is READ the damn thing, and you should cease believing. The fact that there are so many conflicting Bibles should be enough evidence to demonstrate how false the whole religion is. What? "God" couldn't make up his mind? Didn't have enough control over things that he couldn't ensure only ONE book was written? Don't make me laugh.

So my answer, I suppose, is I) The Bible is bogus beyond belief. An obvious human construct of fictions. (I changed it a bit, but you get the point.)

(Christians being hypocrites and nut jobs is a close second.)

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

Dating of what? This can't be a factor unless Christianity is dependant on some relic...would have some impact on OT veracity though

Again, OT stuff maybe, but not Christianity directly

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

LOL - it's sad if people leave Christianity based on that book/movie - means they had not studied it in the first place

*E*) The Fossil Record

OT impact only

*X* *I*) The bible is unreliable

I think the bible, both OT and NT, is a late-period construct which is inaccurate in almost all matters of history, chronology and science, so I guess that would be 'unreliable'.....

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

*E*) The Fossil Record

I wish I could give you an answer in the form you would like, but you may just have to do these as individual responses. You don't have the one I would choose, but G comes closer. Let me restate it in the words that are more accurate to how I feel:

"The most vocal Christians miss the entire point of mythology, and make their faith based on a desperate denial of credible knowledge through science in an blatantly irrational attempt to validate their particular "faith", instead of simply embracing a non-rational (as opposed to irrational) experience of human spirituality, using the mythology as their guide."

In a single word:

*K* LITERALISM

The choices you gave above seem to be only from the perspective of a literalist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

*E*) The Fossil Record

For me, it's the obvious fact that it is a complete rip off of all those older pagan religions.

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

*E*) The Fossil Record

These aren't arguments.

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

So is the choice for those xians that are too young to remember the far more evil "The Last Temptation of Christ?" Woe was us back in the '80's. ;)

mwc

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

So is the choice for those xians that are too young to remember the far more evil "The Last Temptation of Christ?" Woe was us back in the '80's. ;)

piercing

I go back to the days of the original Jesus Christ Superstar. It was that movie that really made me think Jesus was a pretty cool dude, what with those peircing green eyes and that great singing voice! :jesus:

For me it was C. and maybe a little bit of I

the moral philosophy of christianity is highly suspect IMO, as in it is not a philosophy...nor is it moral.

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

piercing

I go back to the days of the original Jesus Christ Superstar. It was that movie that really made me think Jesus was a pretty cool dude, what with those peircing green eyes and that great singing voice! :jesus:

I saw the movie on late night TV after being told by my fundie school not to watch it. It was alright...if you like heresy! :)

I never have seen the Last Temptation to this day though (or the DaVinci code...oh my).

mwc

Taylork45, you seem to use "gay" as a synonym for "bad" or "ineffectual" or something. I don't know the spirit in which you intend this slang use of the word "gay," but as a piece of language it encodes a lot of bigotry. I know people say things like "that's so gay" as a putdown, but it's wrong.

Taylork45, you seem to use "gay" as a synonym for "bad" or "ineffectual" or something. I don't know the spirit in which you intend this slang use of the word "gay," but as a piece of language it encodes a lot of bigotry. I know people say things like "that's so gay" as a putdown, but it's wrong.

I apologize. I meant no offense by it at all but I'll do my best to stop.

For me, the answer is easy. And none of those listed.

Jesus and the Gospel Story never actually happened. Christianity is a religion based on a story. A goddamned good one. But just a story.

The absence of any first century writers mentioning this glorious, famous miracle worker. (obscure travelling preacher - NOT ACCORDING TO THE STORY) Like Hansolo says - Christians cannot explain Philo. Most won't even try.

The 300 year long sorting out process to refine and define what was God's official word and what would come to be considered heretical trash.

The study of the evolution and development of the gospel story as it is told in the Bible. The story just kept getting better and better with each new version of the telling - starting with Mark (without a post resurrection appearance), and ending with the full-blown God-in-the-flesh, Jesus-created-all-things described in John.

The failure of the early epistles to mention so many critical things about the Jesus story that would have bolstered their argument and helped convince their audience - if the details of the story had been known at the time these epistles were written.

The popularity of the dying and resurrecting god-men mythos during that age. Popular shit.

Luke and Acts stole historical details from Josephus to frame their account of Jesus. Beyond doubt.

Two billion people worshipping a story.

Amazing.

I apologize. I meant no offense by it at all but I'll do my best to stop.

No offense taken, Taylor.

If I had to pick out of those options, I’d say *C*. But it goes further. I’ve been and still am studying religious philosophy and the history of all religions and I just cannot be convinced that there is a god or that there isn’t a god…and I’m not just talking about the Christian god, I’m talking of a divine entity in general.

And I think it’s insanely arrogant for the Christians to say that their god is the one and only god and the rest of the world’s beliefs are wrong. The rest of the world is fucked and going to hell even though their religion maybe older, more valid and sensible than precious Christianity. :rolleyes: So to add to your list, I'd have to say the Christian arrogance and complete ignorance about the reality of the world outside the Christian-box cripples any possibility for rational belief in that particular religion.

I saw the movie on late night TV after being told by my fundie school not to watch it. It was alright...if you like heresy! :)

I never have seen the Last Temptation to this day though (or the DaVinci code...oh my).

mwc

I actually own both JC Superstar and Last Temptation on DVD. Superstar is a classic, and if you haven't seen Last Temptation, definitely do so. It's a really great film by Martin Scorsese (if you enjoy Scorsese films). Like all representations of Jesus that don't square with the literalist and traditionalists, people were all upset with that film too. Scorsese was actually surprised and hurt by their reactions, as he was a devout Catholic and this was something very personally meaningful to him. It's a cool vision of the story.

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

All theses. And mostly J.

Christians fight hard to outlaw homosexuality and abortion, and things they feel are sins, even when they're poorly supported by the Bible.

While at the same time they eat pork, shrimp, work on Sunday, and break many other laws in the OT, because they feel it doesn't fit into their culture.

They run to Jesus for forgiveness after they masturbate, but they eat pork and shrimp by the pound without regret. That's bigotry of highest degree. They obey traditions, but they disobey their own "Book of God". We know what Jesus called that kind of people...

Guest fatalGlory

I laughed when people said these were bad arguments. Would I still be a christian if i they were good arguments? I'm presenting this thing to a group of literalists and I myself am one so the apparent literalism is real.

I disagree with a lot of things said on the grounds that they have good explanations, but I came hear swearing to myself that I wouldn't get bogged down in arguments since I simply don't have the time.

The idea was for people to just vote for whichever they thought was the most significant argument in the list. Just trying to get a feel for what reasons are the most common for rejecting christianity.

For example:

For me, the answer is easy. And none of those listed.

Jesus and the Gospel Story never actually happened. Christianity is a religion based on a story. A goddamned good one. But just a story.

It would have been nice if you just conceded that the most appropriate answer in the list was "bible is unreliable" and put that.

I'll have a closer look for the poll function, thanks everyone.

Well, shit, sorry I couldn't make you job easier for you.

Tell you what? Why not just conference call me and we can get it all sorted out together? Would that work a little better for you? Maybe I could come by and you could put me on display? How would that be?

If you want to twist the details, which is why you just want the letter answer, then go screw yourself. It's just not that simple as choosing a letter and letting it all go. Idiot. Your own frickin' thread title states "Most Convincing Argument Against Christianity" then you have the balls to say "Would I still be a christian if i they were good arguments?" Are you mocking us? Sure looks like it to me.

mwc

If you want to twist the details, which is why you just want the letter answer, then go screw yourself. It's just not that simple as choosing a letter and letting it all go. Idiot.

he's like that becauise of the letter answer WE picked... k) christians and the bible have no logic.

It would have been nice if you just conceded that the most appropriate answer in the list was "bible is unreliable" and put that.

But you see, that would not be correct. I would never say it like that. The bible has a lot of mythology throughout it. You can't call mythology unreliable. Mythology serves a different purpose than scientific or historical facts. That is why and I still maintain the problem is literalism. Curious you didn't include Literalism of the list of choices?

In fact start a new poll and include that and see what responses you get. Better still let US help put a list together for you, since it is US who have more knoweldge of this subject than you. We will be happy to help.

But you see, that would not be correct. I would never say it like that. The bible has a lot of mythology throughout it. You can't call mythology unreliable. Mythology serves a different purpose than scientific or historical facts. That is why and I still maintain the problem is literalism. Curious you didn't include Literalism of the list of choices?

In fact start a new poll and include that and see what responses you get. Better still let US help put a list together for you, since it is US who have more knoweldge of this subject than you. We will be happy to help.

He isn't really looking for information or for truth though, he just wants to put together some information so he can vilify us like every other fundamentalist does. To him we are the bad guy as well as stupid. I mean come on, christianity is SOOOOO obviously true that we must be evil god haters if we don't believe. It coudn't posibly be because christianity is nonsense.

If he wanted real answers, he woudn't have tried to break everything down to a simple pole. He only wants certain answers to the question he asked because anyother answers might mess up his carefuly protected theological bubble.