A Theory On Why Many Young Adults Have Joined The Church Back

nicoleeann

heres the scenario i have scene alot of:

you're raised in church and in a christian family.

you follow the rules and blindly believe during youre childhood.

when you reach your teens you reject christianity and rebel

you hadn't given it really much thought on why you rejected christianity at the time.

during the rest of your teenage years you experiment with drugs, sex, stealing, mean to your parents, lieing, being mean to others. This is what many teenagers naturally do.

when you turn 18 or 20 or 25 or whatever you start to feel bad about the mistakes you made and the people you hurt. you feel incredibly guilty because deep down you still believe in xianity because you were taught that at such a young age. you long for the time of innocence (your younger years) then you realize that you were xian back then and you think its time to go back to make up for your wrongs.

I've seen this happen with a few friends and relatives. Feeling guilty and thinking that the guilt you feel is from rejecting god and not what it should be from: hurting others and ourselves.

most of us all go through a difficult transitional phase as teenagers.

because they havent gone through the process of researching the bible and thinking it through, many young adults think that a change of heart can only be contributed to "accepting christ"

just a thought

This is EXACTLY what happened to me.

I was raised up a fundie, then I went through my ten years being a basket case(although I still held onto Christ Insanity)...I was pretty depressed and everything.

And when I left highschool I decided to give my life to god to make my mom happy.

in Hindsight I realized I had a real mother complex back then, and I was doing everything to please her. Thankfully that period of my life is way over.

Interesting you should post this, because I was just about to start a similar thread. Since I just joined myspace, I was looking up middle school and high school friends. Many of the "rebellious" ones are now Christians. One of the worst now "only listens to Christian music."

Gag me with a spoon!! I feel sorry for them.

Interesting you should post this, because I was just about to start a similar thread. Since I just joined myspace, I was looking up middle school and high school friends. Many of the "rebellious" ones are now Christians. One of the worst now "only listens to Christian music."

Gag me with a spoon!! I feel sorry for them.

Not this rebel, baby. I will live and die with a middle finger in the air, a full zippo lighter and a boot on a stack of bibles.

Sad, but poignant observation. Christianity is very good at providing an "out" because putting the blame on lack of faith or Satan. This makes it easier to bear then realizing "Yeah. I really and truely was an idiot."

And quite often in American culture, there is pervailant idea that if you mess up, you mess up for life. People aren't taught to deal with the reality of their mistakes or take responsibility. So they bring it to Christ who will suddenly "cleanse" them and they can be "pure" again without ever really learning from their past.

Let's also not forget the following:

A True Christian™ gets spoon-fed the dogma that morals of any kind can only possibly ever come from the wholly babble... that humans can't possibly draw some conclusions towards moral on their own. In other words, they grow up without any morals other than their written dogma. No wonder that quite a few of them completely tilt when they leave the cult, for whatever reason. Without any moral principles other than the book they just threw away, what's to hold them back?

Easy to finally feel some guilt when you finally realize that you did something wrong... even if you don't really know what and why... no? :Hmm:

And of course, having been taught that morals only come from the book of lies, almost naturally they jump back into the cult after realizing that they have been wrong :vent:

(I wanted to link to the page on www.creationtheory.org where I first found that thesis but currently I just can't find the correct one. Suffice it to say that this is also mentioned over there :) )

I do agree with this, but I think another reason might be "responsibility". They've been conditioned to believe that contributing to society in a productive way means being a Christian.

Taph

Wow. Exactly the opposite happened to me.

I wasn't fed anything for the bulk of my life. My family was largely agnostic, we rarely went to church, I wasn't schooled in Biblical or Xian anything.

Until I hit my teens. Then my alcoholic mother quit drinking and found Gawd (he was apparently in between the sofa cushions the whole time). I went along for the ride and was a Good Little Xian Girl™ until my mid-20's.

Then I wised up again and realized I didn't believe a word of it. So I went back to the godless ways I'd always believed in anyway.

Funny how that works out...

Thinking also quite a few folks *return to the folds* for the social aspect. "Good place to raise kids, programs, companionship, eventual like-thinking potential mates, etc, so on..."

For all the goodies they willingly contract away theor Freedom and ability to make course changes and decisions on their own.

Most seem to do so gleefully.

Notice that the fevor filled and "on fire for daLarde" sorts are the young?

By the time the shiney has worn off the JezusToy, most of we have figured out that by fuckin', drinkin', smokin', ecetera-in' hasn't caused the lightning to be delivered on on heads..

If we are still part of the cult it is due to a spot of comfort within the herd, not because we're worried about our spot on the celestial gravy trains.

Known a lot of men my age and older, mid fourties who lived a good harsh life of oilpatch living. What we didn't drink, smoke, or spend on fucking, we gave to the tool delivery guy or the dealership that sold up our trucks and welding gear.

Most of the same have returned to a nice sedate life of going to the cult.house and making the appropriate noises and gestures. Those with kids swear they wont allow their kids to be such litle hellions as they were.. :)

I think it is partially conditioning, partially comfort, and a whole lot of "I dunno what else to do".

Then there are dumasses like me.. ;) If I want a weekly meetin', I'll join Elks or the Moose.. Can cuss, drink or dance and smoke in meetin' room if so wanted.

kL

It's entirely natural for young adults to rejoin the church. They only left in the first place because the Church requires, you know, some modicum of self-responsibility. Many people, when young, don't want to be told that there are consequences for their actions, or rules that must be followed. Once they start maturing, though, they see the error of their ways and return to what they believe to be the responsible, adult thing to do. Which, for them, is church.

They never really left Christianity. They just put it on hold for a while.

Bloody stupid wankers.

It's entirely natural for young adults to rejoin the church. They only left in the first place because the Church requires, you know, some modicum of self-responsibility. Many people, when young, don't want to be told that there are consequences for their actions, or rules that must be followed. Once they start maturing, though, they see the error of their ways and return to what they believe to be the responsible, adult thing to do. Which, for them, is church.

They never really left Christianity. They just put it on hold for a while.

Bloody stupid wankers.

I think it's almost a cultural given (at least in American society) that, once you've grown up a little, married, settled down and had a kid, you are ready to return to what is considered respectable. Especial if you have children; there is this feeling among people that, even if they don't like/believe in church, it's good for the children. Sunday school and vacation Bible school, the kiddies must attend. This is recognized by denominations, who anticipate people returning at this stage in their life. Is it that parents feel inferior at teaching their children morals and ethics, and think that the church can do it better?

Very good observation Nicoleeann.

Even though I didn't rebel much in my teen age years, I was somewhat a backslider, but "recovered" and became fundy.

This is sorta what happened to me ... I was raised Christian. But rejected it at a young age because it just didn't make sense :P Stopped going to church. Then went again for a short time for purely social reasons, then caught onto some new age spirituality. When I hit ... 19 perhaps. I was having a personal crisis. My parents got divorced, had to give my dog away because we had to move out of our house I'd lived in my whole life into an apartment away from all my friends, etc. I spent all my time on the internets and one day was reading some Christian apologetics about Hell and it all "made sense". Ofcourse I didn't bother to research further I just accepted it based on emotion of despite the world being out of control God was in control. I prayed for Christian friends and I actually found one by chance, my friends new roomate. This totally convinced me God answered my prayer. Started going to youth group. Was all super into it for 3 years. Then it all fell apart because I realized no one was actually acting like a Christian when I started actually reading the Bible and I realized this was NOT the package I'd bought :P

I think the young adults are probably also drawn in a lot by how the religion is marketed. It's all about love. There's neat catch phrases and you belong to a group who does fun stuff. No matter how big of a loser you are people have to pretend like they like you! :D

I think on one hand, it could be good for a social type thing for people who don't fit in but it really messes with people who have low self esteem ... and who are in bad situations. Like I was. And it totally screwed me up worse than I already was. Also I think a lot of people in their early 20's have what I like to call a quarter life crisis ;P ... Especially if they aren't in college and all their friends are. So they start to re-evaluate life and spirituality and religion and everything.