Goodbye Jesus

"recouping" Your Investments In Christianity

tropicalsq744

Hi guys.

I've been wondering what you guys did to those books/cds that you used to have when you were christian. I myself have 14 music CDs and 22 books that are of little to no use to me right now. WHat should I do with them?

Initially I thought of selling all of them over this local christian forum under a different username (save for the apologetics books) but the admin might become suspicious. I don't a cerdit/debit card so sellig it online is almost impossible for me.

Any ideas?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I didn't have that many, and what I did have, I mostly lost in a fire a few years ago. I still have my Bible and am considering giving it away to charity.

Here, in the Canadian city where I live, we have second-hand bookstores that would give me a couple of bucks for an old book.

So, I've been thinking of going there to sell my books. I was given "The purpose driven life" for Christmas. I am sure I can sell that one.

I have also thought of selling them through abebooks.com, but it sounds too complicated.

We also have second-hand stores that charities have for raising funds. If it all fails, I will just give them to one of those places.

I take it that you talked to your pastor and told him you weren't going to bother anymore?

Good luck with your stuff!

Well, I sold my DVD's(the Passion of the christ, and the left behind trilogy)to Blockbuster video and got 25 dollars for them, combined...

The books, unfortunately, I still have...Don't know what to do with those.

I am keeping my Bible and my "The Prayer of Jabez" youth book. My mom gave both to me, and addressed them to me personally. So my love for her trumps my disdain of the religion.

Even though the bible is crap I still pick out the little pearls of wisdom from time to time.

Great rolling papers for your *friends* who are always bumming your last smoke or roll of TP..

kL

I've a few bibles, some other books and a couple CD's so I've been thinking about what I was going to do with them. Some of them I'll probably just bin (like the NIV bible that I filled with highlighter marks and scribbles) others I'll sell on ebay.

We sold our stuff on ebay and at the used book store. Didn't get much for them. ;) Now, I feel almost guilty for allowing those books to remain in circulation.

I haven't sold any of my bibles, though. They're good for reference and reminsicing... all my old notes, highlighted verses, etc...

I was never into buying Christian books, myself, so I have very few. Kinda odd, really, since I'm such a book nut. I just put in some new shelves and I still don't have enough for all my books. The Bibles I have, I'm keeping. It's one of the most influential books in Western culture, so they're useful to keep around for reference.Those few others are probably going in the bag of old books I'm never going to read, which will eventually go to a used book store or a thrift store or something.

I take it that you talked to your pastor and told him you weren't going to bother anymore?

Actually I haven't. I haven't find the time to sit down and tell him why I'm leaving. (though I don't know if he wants to listen..) I didn't go to church last sunday though. Interestingly none of my church friends asked me why. I wonder if they're ignoring me.

Oh, I have quite a few books and Bibles. I've thought idly of selling some of them that I never used much in the first place, but I think at least for now I'll just hold on to them. I am kind of a bookworm anyway.

Hi guys.

I've been wondering what you guys did to those books/cds that you used to have when you were christian. I myself have 14 music CDs and 22 books that are of little to no use to me right now. WHat should I do with them?

Initially I thought of selling all of them over this local christian forum under a different username (save for the apologetics books) but the admin might become suspicious. I don't a cerdit/debit card so sellig it online is almost impossible for me.

Any ideas?

Is there a used bookstore in your city? Look them up under the letter B in the Yellow Pages. The ones that they don't buy from you, go to your local library and donate them and get a tax return receipt. That's what I did.

Ocassionally, I still listen to "christian music" like stuff by Rebecca St. James from her Transform cd, but I just download from the internet for any music. Yeah I'm kind of weird like that, but I figure if its not real then what's the point? Greek myths aren't real but I still enjoy reading them. I want to be the type of person who is open minded to different things, cultures, religions, etc. Cds take up so much space, and I just have everything on my computer nowadays.

I just dumped all my Xian books at the local library. Most Xian CDs I had I ended up selling long ago, since I got tired with them anyway. I kept a few, however - like Horde or Living Sacrifice or Crimson Moonlight. Good times, those CDs :)

I'd have burnt the books, but currently since I'm at home helping the parents out, a sudden book burning in the backyard would've been a little shocking - not to mention illegal, around here. Yet if I lived alone, that's just what I would've done.

Any jewelry, like crosses or rosaries, I just left in the lost and found bin at my church. I still have a couple things to leave there. I kept a few things, like one of the rosaries and my acolyte robes - so that I don't forget my past and more easily recall the lessons learned from that time in my life.

I had so very many of them and it just didn't feel right to me to try to make money off of them at some other sucker's expense. Yea, I know that people who buy used xtian books and CDs would find them somewhere, but they're not going to find them from me for the same reason no meth addict is going to find meth from me even though I was taught how to manufacture it back in the '80s.

My chimney was blocked up during my big purge, so I hauled a garbage can half full of bibles and other xtian bull$hit out to the curb on garbage day and it felt so good when it came back empty that I didn't even care about the thousand-odd dollars I might have made selling it off a bit at a time.

I used my copy of Left Behind for TP, because I have a particular anger at that one piece of trash.

There were a few bits and pieces that had sentimental value and missed my big purge; as the scales continued to fall from my eyes and I continued to wake up, I was glad to do ceremonial book burnings even though there was room in my trash can.

If it feels okay to you to sell your own "stuff", then I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, but my feeling is that I made a serious mistake that cost me a lot more than money and I would never, ever wish that on any other human being. Sometimes things are gone for good and you just can't get them back, only go on from where you are.

The best part of my purge was when the author of an xtian book that I had edited (to the tune of 16 hours a day for months and I never got paid a dime) asked me to email him my copy because he had lost everything due to a virus. I had to pull out an old CD because I had reformatted and switched to Linux, and when I opened the folder where the book was, I discovered that my CD burner had failed on this one file.

It doesn't exist any more. A year of my life, all that hard work, doesn't exist. Nobody can ever make money off of my blood, sweat, and tears or use me to hurt another human being with their damned death cult.

I don't define myself as an author or an editor any more. I am a proud stay at home homeschooling mother of two teenagers. Does anyone want a homemade chocolate chip cookie or a quick lesson on 3rd declension Latin nouns?

Actually I haven't. I haven't find the time to sit down and tell him why I'm leaving. (though I don't know if he wants to listen..) I didn't go to church last sunday though. Interestingly none of my church friends asked me why. I wonder if they're ignoring me.

Well, in my experience, once they find out they can't make use of you anymore, they drop you. They move on to the next easy prey.

I've kept all the Bible mistranslations on my shelf-- good for reference and refutatation. My dad an academic and devout Lutheran, gave me useful books, like Harper's Bible Dictionary-- which is also excellent for debunking, though I doubt that was the editors' intent.

About talking to your pastor and saying you've figured out Christianity is bullshit-- anyone done that? I knew a woman who did an "exit interview" with her Methodist pastor, though she remained a Christian. I just dropped out.

I don't think I owe it to a clergyass to explain myself. On the other hand, it might be therapeutic to hand him/her his/her ass. Hmm....

You can sell on half.com, run by ebay, with a bank account only. You just set it up through paypal and off you go.

I sold most my stuff on half.com. My fiancee and I kept the good referencing Bibles with good translations because we use them still- they are good references to keep around, especially if you intend on discussing xian topics.

I kept some of the music, too. Over the months I get the urge to get rid of some more and then some more...I'm only down to a few xian bands now that I still think are good. Sometimes I roll my eyes or comment on their lyrics when listening to it, though.

And donation is a good option. A lot of my books wouldn't sell (wonder why!!) so I donated them. You can take it off your taxes.

Good luck with telling your pastor. I think that is a great thing to do. I wish I would have done that. I just left.

Well, in my experience, once they find out they can't make use of you anymore, they drop you. They move on to the next easy prey.

I think I was too quick in concluding that the people in my church were ignoring me. I didn't go again today and they were hot on my heels man. My mum told me that many who knew me were asking why I wasn't there and she was as well... Oh well...

I'm really not ready to tell her. Maybe not even my friends in church. I guess I will have to though. I just can't live a lie. I just don't see the point in going to church now even if it's just to make people happy.

I was on the forum when my mum came into the room. Normally, I wouldn't be so worried cos she can't see clearly (she just had a cataract op and its taking a long time to heal) but this time she took a hard look at my laptop and I think she saw it. She just said she wanted to sleep and went off as if she were pissed. maybe I'm being too sensitive? I don't know..

I've agreed to meet 2 of my "closer" church buddies tomorrow for dinner. I really don't know what to tell them. Should I come out with my loss of belief? The only people who know about my atheistic leanings are 2 of my youth ministers. One of them even SMSed me to check if I was ok just a few hours ago. He knows my position but I bet he thinks I will be back. I haven't replied but I think I will probably tell him the truth..

I've agreed to meet 2 of my "closer" church buddies tomorrow for dinner. I really don't know what to tell them. Should I come out with my loss of belief? The only people who know about my atheistic leanings are 2 of my youth ministers. One of them even SMSed me to check if I was ok just a few hours ago. He knows my position but I bet he thinks I will be back. I haven't replied but I think I will probably tell him the truth..

If your buddies feel they can freely spew their drivel, you have every right to tell them what you're worldview is.

Ex-C's wonderful people provide excellent resources for countering Christian garbage-- but you are under no obligation to explain squat to them. Me, I love arguing with them.

Good luck!

I threw my Purpose Driven book in the trash a year ago before moving but I think my mom picked it out... oh well, they're bound to find out soon enough about my deconversion. :shrug: I still have a case of christian cd gathering dust in a box at the bottom of my closet. I really don't know what to do with them. There are some good cds in there but I can't bear to listen to them anymore but yet I don't want to get rid of them. I did give my bible away to my sister who was looking for one anyway. I should have put some inked notes pointing out all the bullshit before. :HaHa: Man, I hope she'll see her way through that crap one day but for now her faith is good for her (she has some problems... ). Whatever, as long as my family don't push their faith on them I won't go out attacking it.

I'm selling my stuff over other local (non-xian) forums. should have thought of that long ago. hehe.

All of my CDs were Christian, and I still have them somewhere. I think they might be buried in the trunk of my car, actually. My Bible has been collecting dust on a shelf, as have all of my other Christian books (my Greek New Testament, Finding God in LOTR - my mom gave that to me, and all of my books by Lewis, McDowell, and Strobel). I read them a lot when I was still deciding whether or not I still believed Christianity, but now that I don't read them anymore they are just collecting dust. I also have two whole bookshelves full of Biblical commentaries. My fiancee's father was a pastor, and when he passed away they gave me all of his commentaries because I was going to be a pastor. Now that I am no longer a Christian, I don't really have any desire to be a Baptist preacher anymore, so I have been thinking about selling them.

• 1 year later...

I got really little on paper -so one i threw it away,others i give to a local library- i always do it when i want to get rid of emotional issues.

FOR mp3 mine are really downloaded songs and scattered-so i avoid listening to them---brought back memories...And I cancelled all my subscription and move into a new email for a new beginning.

http://www.greenmetropolis.com/

:)

Somethings, well... the weapons of the enemy are powerful :)

The CD is shattered, burnt, melted, blew up, or threw away.

The books I burnt.

Allthough, I still do have the Bible that my uncle wanted me to have after he died. And I still have one of my bibles for research to attack that faith, and to rephrase some of the versus for my wrestling gimmick.

Guest Wisko

I managed to sell a Strong's Concordance a few years ago, getting back about half of what I paid for it, but then freeing up more shelf space for my ever growing "heathen music' collection, some of which I'm still replacing from 8 years ago when I took a trip on the Jesus-go-round for a few months.