Goodbye Jesus

Xian Art And Artists

Knightley

Ever notice how poor xian art is? I'm not talking about art from the past, like by Da Vinci and Michaelangelo. I'm talking about the stuff nowadays. One example is Left Behind. Saw this movie as a xian and it sucked so much. Why bother making at all if you don't have the money and technology? I honestly felt that my time would have been better spent watching taxicab confessions on HBO.

Novels are terrible, the covers always contain golden tones, as if xians have to be cuddled. The only writers I ever thought were worthy were Frank Peretti (his latest stuff) and Ted Dekker. It seems they are more like Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Why is it always that non-xians are portrayed as imbeciles in the novels?

I see their starting to improve a little, but overall, it seems the heathens make better art for the masses, ironic when their told that xians need to be the "light" to the world.

Can you post some pics of art work so I can see an example of what you mean? To me art can turn out beautiful no matter who draws it. How do you figure christian artist are less talented than any other artist? How can you tell a christian artist from a normal one just by viewing it. I'm just not sure I understand just yet. Maybe you just mean movies and books which makes you title misleading.

As far as movies most of them suck anyway. As far as novels go I need some examples.

when I said art, I meant any type of media. As far as examples of novels, I thought Left Behind the novel was written very poorly. I hated the first book by frank peretti "this present darkness" and his theology in it.

Recently the book "The Novelist" by Angela Hunt was published, its similar to Hunt's experiences as a writer, but in between she writes a story, that's an allegory. Ever heard of "movie within a movie" well this is a "story within a story." The allegory was so bad, about this guy who wakes up in a strange place, etc. Its supposed to represent man's fall. Oh god it was terrible. Just go to Borders and check it out there.

I'm also not the only one who says xian media needs to improve, I've heard it said by other xians in real life and in forums.

Xian art and music sucks because the main goal of the Xian artist is to glorify something, in this case, Jeezus™. The music always takes a backseat to the message, whereas strictly secular (and many pagan) musicians put their all into the music, because they're not out trying to save the world or try to conform to the social mores of a degenerate deathcult. There are exceptions, of course, but mainly in the realm of classical music. Modern Xian art and music - bleh.

Back in my Nazi days, the same held true for most skinhead and White Power bands. The message dominated the music, and the musicianship sucked. Skrewdriver was one of the VERY few exceptions. Just like the Xian field, their music suffered because of their shit message.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett was AWESOME. Xianity makes great comedy at least!

I think one of the reasons that Christian "art" sucks in general, is because the art is all about creativity, expression, defiance to authority, thinking outside the box, etc. Christianity pretty much prohibits such thoughts and feelings, labeling them as "ungodly, worldly and sinful." Any creative input that is encouraged is strictly directed toward glofying god, which is really boring as fuck, and generally requires turning certain parts of the brain.

I agree with sonofspong - Christian art is defined by lack of any real passion besides happy-clappiness.

I remember reading about how badly the Vatican fared when it decided to open a "Modern Christian Art" gallery in VC. The paintings vastly consisted of little more than hilly country landscapes with little church spires here and there.

Is it just me or are a lot of bible stories just plain boring? I wish that they had as much creativity as the greek myths did, after all if you're going to make art, you might as well make it intriguing.

The Christian God is celibate. Part of what makes Greek religion so fascinating is the soap-opera lives of the gods. Hephaestus is a good man, but crippled in a terrible accident that was his father's fault. He is married to Aphrodite who is an extraordinarily beautiful woman but who has never had sexual relations with him, preferring to quench her sexual thirst with all kinds of men but most of all with the haughty and shallow Ares. She can seem cold and pitiless at times, but not nearly so as her sister Artemis, a virgin who only ever fell in love once, and that with a mortal man, whom her dearest beloved twin brother killed. This twin brother, Apollo, is polygamous, or at least gets it on with any woman, mortal or otherwise, who strikes his fancy; at times women have been forced to change their shape to escape his libido. Athena is single and wise and virtuous, whereas Dionysus, god of the vine, is the gentlest of all gods, careful in choosing his mates. Hermes' sexual adventures are similar to Aphrodite's and Apollo's, and he is bisexual. Zeus is the father of all of them, save for his wife Hera, who is also his sister - an incestuous relationship. Zeus is convinced of his own power and masculinity, and constantly cheats on his unimaginably jealous wife with all manner of men and women. Hera, while perpetually furious at Zeus for his adultery, is not innocent herself of feeling strongly for attractive men. Poseidon, Zeus's brother, is moody and stormy and keeps a submissive, nearly invisible wife while killing off men with typhoons and sea storms at whim to release his angst. Demeter, Zeus's other sister, has borne a child by him, who was stolen by Zeus's estranged brother, Hades, to be his unwilling queen of the dead. Demeter gets so depressed when she is taken from her that she forces mankind through a deadly winter.

There, I could've just written the first season of As Olympus Burns.

Even the Egyptian gods were friendlier than the Bible god. It seems monotheism is the only religious concept in which sex was not viewed as a divine and sacred, life-celebrating act.

Well when I was into comics there would be a christian comic I would get. I always thought it sucked compared to real ones. Also christian music videos are always always horrible. The left behind movies were good only for a laugh but I never took them seriously. I just think that most christian movies are bad. I did kinda like Meggido though

One christian movie I liked was the movie saved. It had that kid from Home Alone in it and I can't pronouce his name. It was good because it was very controverisal almost to the point of bashing christianity.........Never mind it seemed anti-christian now that I think about it. It's more pro-Theist or pro-liberal christian. It's about a God fearing christian girl who tries to save her gay boyfriend from being gay by having sex with him. She ends up getting pregnant and starts to curse God and stuff and it gets better from there. It has fundies and everything trying to hurt her!!!

B0002OXRSG.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ever notice how poor xian art is?

Before my deconversion, I once asked someone, "why can't we make a decent movie?"

I think someone here already said that christian "art" is all about "glorifying god". I agree. art should reflect life, and they're afraid to take off their jesus-colored glasses. I still work at a church (as a custodian) and there's a new art exhibit every few months. Mostly landscapes, crosses, and cute babies. Creativity is practically non-existant.