Goodbye Jesus

Black Fundy/white Fundy

Yaoi Huntress Earth

I was wondering if anyone has ever noticed a difference between White and Black fundy evangelists (other than the Black ones yell more). Although I've only seen two, the Black ones seem more strict and disapproving of modern trends (like this one female who refused to enter buildings that played secular music.) So is it just me or has anyone else noticed it?

Don't know. Hard to find out the skin color of a person (without specifically asking) via the web. ;)

Don't know. Hard to find out the skin color of a person (without specifically asking) via the web. ;)

I was thinking more in the lines of Televaneglists. The concept came to me while I was channel surfing and this African-American woman was talking about rejecting "idols" and how her love of worldly entertainment at one time separated her from God. Then she read something she said God helped her write, it was this almost surreal account of her time visiting what I think was some kind of goth club and she made it sound so nightmareish and demonic. Also if you put into mind the anti-rap/hip-hop webevangelist The Messenger who encourages people to destroy their rap/hip-hop CDs and has violent fantatises against skanky women; it just got me thinking.

Aaaaalrighty, give me some days or weeks to study those TV liars on TBN, and I may be able to answer your question :lmao:

Yaoi,

I haven't noticed that at all, but I know what you mean.

I had a Pastor once at a church that my Grandma helped found that drove past restaurants because they served booze. And his wife next to him; pretty, smart, and a damn good cook, drove by too. She had no choice, because she was the passenger. She was so 'pretty'. Good looking, smiling and so supportive of her man...

She had/has cancer, and he ( I swear) looked like Hitler.

I don't know where they are today. And the black ones don't yell more.

I'm sorry. Did you say something?

You know those yellow wrist bracelets everyone is wearing in support of Lance Armstrong's cancer organization? Well a coworker of mine hadn't a clue Lance Armstrong was an atheist. She paid her dollar and was wearing her wristband in support of Lance's organization. One day in the hall of the hospital she was employed an older fundy black woman accosted her and read her the riot act for wearing the yellow writst band of that hell bound atheist Lance Artmstrong. She was so offended people whould support such a heathen(never mind all the good this guy has done for the world). She said it was very scary, yet funny at the same time. I couldn't see a white fundy going at someone like that.

There is a noticeable difference in real life. Black fundies are more boisterous, White fundies are just as spirited, but it's often reflected differently. White fundies can be just as big-mouthed, though.

I suppose the only real difference I've ever noticed is going past White fundy and Black fundy churches, when services are in session. White fundy services are loud, but still very organized. Black fundy services are like a mini-riot. Just think of the scene in the Black fundy church in Blues Brothers.

One evening, a friend and I were driving home, and we stopped at a red light. The light was right next to a Black fundy church. The doors were open and services were going on. It was quiet until a cry of "AAAMMEEENNN HHALLLEELLUUJJAHH!!!!" broke the night. Loudly. My friend jumped out of his seat and nearly shit himself :mellow:

Yeah, the Black church is a very active experience! Though the church I grew up in was a lot more subdued than the Southern-type churches. Those tend to be the loudest.

-Seth

The thread title reminds me of "Black Mama/White mama" a 70's blaxploitation flick starring Pam Grier. :grin:

Yes, there is a very distinct difference. I have been on both sides of the fence.

I grew up in the African American church and every Sunday is a religious revival. I still love the black Baptist church for that fact alone. Even though I think the Christian religion is B.S. I love to hear the choir and etc.

Overall, Black fundamentalism is all about appealing to the congregants emotions. African American church is like a circus, at times. I remember sitting next to old women and scooting out of the way when they "caught the holy ghost." Literally, women would do laps around the church and spazz out. And the pastor himself is a showstopper as well. He will start off small and meek and then yell, scream, and sing at the top of his lungs about how much Jesus loves us and we're all going to hell.

It is all about appealing to emotions and feelings in black church. If you can seriously and truly believed that you've been possessed by the holy ghost then chances are you are going to give all your money to the church...

Grant it, I came from a very reserved family...So it was so weird, and at times downright scary, to me to see overweight women doing cartwheels and back flips in the name of Jesus...

Anywho, in comparison, white congregations are so much different. I attended a white congregation with my best friend(who is white) for the first time seven years ago. To make a long story short it was so unbelieveably dull.

Whereas in African American church you don't know what to expect(as it is all about the show)...White Baptist churches are much more subdued.

However, I notice that changing as more white baptist churches are echoing alot of Black American culture...Plus, more baptist churches are integrating as well.

But they are EXACTLY the same when it comes to the bottom line...Condemning people to hell.

However, black ministers are meaner and more boisterous about it. They will flat out tell the congregation they are going to rot in hell. Whereas white ministers will do the, "Jesus loves you. He gave his life for you...and if you don't accept him then you will be departed from him for all eternity..."

Furthermore, in Black church they have prayer competitions(as I refer to them). The deacons and ministers will prayer before beginning church...and that lasts about two hours. They each kiss god's ass and they try and do it better than the one before them. It is so obnoxious.

Also, black fundies are more hypocritical(from my experience)...You can do anything and be a member of black church: sell drugs, party in clubs, have all kinds of kinky extra marital sex, and possibly go to jail...And the congregation will be their for you with all of Jesus's love.

However, you can be an upstanding citizen, have an excellent career, and etc el...But if you happen to be gay or lesbian then there is no hope for you, and they will possibly ban you from church.

However, black ministers are meaner and more boisterous about it. They will flat out tell the congregation they are going to rot in hell. Whereas white ministers will do the, "Jesus loves you. He gave his life for you...and if you don't accept him then you will be departed from him for all eternity..."

yeah and some preachers might point you or look right at you in the middle of a church service and condemn you to hell. He doesn't have to know you did wrong to do it because in most cases everyone has done something "sinful" in God's eyes.

Furthermore, in Black church they have prayer competitions(as I refer to them). The deacons and ministers will prayer before beginning church...and that lasts about two hours. They each kiss god's ass and they try and do it better than the one before them. It is so obnoxious.

Yeah I remember those. They were funny sometimes. Especially when the introductary speaker has to say something before the real preacher and tries to take up 20 min to preach his own message while the pastor is looking at him like WTF?!

The older women in black churches were always the funniest to me. Those huge hats with big feathers were always hilarious :lmao:

Black preachers are definitely more entertaining. Lot's more energy and passion in everything they say. Even though, it seems to be less details or content, more emotionally driven. :shrug:

Black preachers are definitely more entertaining. Lot's more energy and passion in everything they say. Even though, it seems to be less details or content, more emotionally driven. :shrug:

They're definitely the funniest. I love when I flip channels and find a bunch of them getting jiggy to gospel muzak, clapping hands and shouting along. My friend and I used to mock them when we found them on a channel-surfing spree. I've always wanted to get loaded and walk into a Black fundy church and hoop and holler with them, just for shits and giggles.

I've always wanted to get loaded and walk into a Black fundy church and hoop and holler with them, just for shits and giggles.

That sounds like a lot-a-fun! I'm not sure they would notice any difference.

(like this one female who refused to enter buildings that played secular music.)

Is secualr music music that doesn't have to do with religion?

As far as boisterous televangelists go...my husband and I would, on occasion, watch some of the Jimmy Swaggart Camp Meeting programs. We watched it for pure entertainment as that... it was. We'd be having a rather good bellylaugh and would always wonder how people could take this character seriously :HaHa: as the whole scenario was quite comical. This was especially true when he becomes extremely animated during parts of his sermon which involved his stomping about on stage, yelling, as well as his "speaking in tongues". (to those parrot owners who have cockatoos, these birds can utter "gibberish" as well ; which is reminiscent of "glossolalia" :grin: )

Anyway, his son "Donnie" is just as lively, noisy, and laughable. I'll sometimes joke that if Jimmy ever holds a "camp meeting" in my neck of the woods, we should go and see him just for shits and giggles. While other folks there would have tears streaming down their faces from having been moved by his sermons, we'll be having tears streaming down our faces from laughter :HaHa:

I've always wanted to get loaded and walk into a Black fundy church and hoop and holler with them, just for shits and giggles.

That sounds like a lot-a-fun! I'm not sure they would notice any difference.

Probably not, especially if I went in stinking of gin and juice and wearing a bad polyester suit. They'd think I was a visiting preacher :)

And then they'd ask you to preach. And that would be even MORE fun! :lmao:

I'd probably be like Chef - "How are my little crackers today?"

(like this one female who refused to enter buildings that played secular music.)

Is secualr music music that doesn't have to do with religion?

Pretty much. If it's about something other than kissing God's ass, then it's secular.

I'd probably be like Chef - "How are my little crackers today?"
Oh yeah! Can't ask for a more perfect choice of words there. :lmao:

I've noticed that black ministers often emphasize what's called "spiritual authority". A blanket term that means the pastor can screw every new convert in the church and no one can hold him accountable. Also sometimes phrased as "speak not against my annointed and do my prophets no harm". I've seen this line of thinking in many sermons, but it seems especially prominent in back churches. I wonder if that is why (as the above poster mentioned) there is "anything goes" attitute in this churches. If the pastor can get away with adultery because he's "God's annointed" then why not me? Other terms are "mantel of authority", "annointing ", ect.

I've noticed that black ministers often emphasize what's called "spiritual authority". A blanket term that means the pastor can screw every new convert in the church and no one can hold him accountable. Also sometimes phrased as "speak not against my annointed and do my prophets no harm". I've seen this line of thinking in many sermons, but it seems especially prominent in back churches. I wonder if that is why (as the above poster mentioned) there is "anything goes" attitute in this churches. If the pastor can get away with adultery because he's "God's annointed" then why not me? Other terms are "mantel of authority", "annointing ", ect.

This is so true...

Case In Point: back in 1998(I was about 15 or 16ish)our pastor was having sex with my then 13-year-old niece. I mean he was picking her up from school, going to my oldest brother's house(it was his daughter), and having his daughter invite her over for sleep overs...He was even picking my neice up from school sometimes.

Well, my brother set up a tape recorder inside the house and heard EVERYTHING that went on.

My brother confronted the pastor AND the deacons about this, and all this bureacracy went down...

Charges were filed and the pastor was arrested, and registered as a sex offender...

However, my entire family was SHUNNED by the church congregation. We were considered satanic for trying to bring down a "Man of god."

If you want true power in the African American community you become a pastor....plain and simple. They are allowed to get away with anything.

Long story short my child molesting pastor is still a sex offender...But he has a new congregation, with many of the same followers. The only stipulation is that he cannot preside over Sunday school where kids are

involved.

Yeah I remember those. They were funny sometimes. Especially when the introductary speaker has to say something before the real preacher and tries to take up 20 min to preach his own message while the pastor is looking at him like WTF?!

The older women in black churches were always the funniest to me. Those huge hats with big feathers were always hilarious

Oh, and don't get me started on the Benediction! When you are leaving church and the closing prayer is a sermon in and of itself! When that happened I used to pray for the pastor to stop praying!

And the fruit basket hats are classic! Where in the hell do they sell those things? Literally, every single old lady had a cornicopia of fruit atop her head...LOL

Good ole southern baptist black church. Such fond memories...lol.