Goodbye Jesus

The Gay Best Friend

Beachcosmo

Is it just me or is the gay best friend an annoying stereotype? I saw The Break-Up a few weeks ago, it was a cute movie, and yet again we have a heroine who has a best friend/colleague who's gay. What the hell is up with that? Even if you're hetero, its still fucking annoying seeing this stereotype on every movie.

I hate cute movies. And yes, it is kind of annoying...but I guess stereotypes sell. :shrug:

It's about as annoying as any other stereotype.

What would be funny in movies is if instead of the gay best friend, they had a rabid fundy.

This could be a scene in a Jennifer Aniston movie replacing the gay friend with a fundy.

Jennifer Aniston: "I'm thinking of sleeping with him."

Fundy friend: "You can't do that! It's against the Bible! You need to be married first! Put Christ back in Christmas!"

Or another:

Jennifer Aniston: "I lied to him."

Fundy friend: "That makes you a liar! And liars shall not enter into the Kingdom! Let's look at the ten commandments..."

It's an annoying "new" stereotype. Instead of being nonexistant and taboo in media, now they want to show everyone gays are ok too by making them the fun, happy, neutered, quirky friends of the Heteros.

You can be gay now, but not "too" gay. No going into detail on that icky sex stuff they do, just the occassional "shocking" public kiss. Oh yes, and the cute ones all have to be confused sexbots or the women have to have short haircuts and the men have to be hilariously lispy and swishy. There also have to be a million references to "He's the Gay one and he's all right!!!" thoughout the whole thing.

I dunno, maybe it's a step up from taboo non-existance and maybe eventually watching the ripped and tough male action lead kiss his equally ripped and tough boyfriend goodbye before they both go to blow away the bad guys will be a normal sight one day.

What would be funny in movies is if instead of the gay best friend, they had a rabid fundy.

This could be a scene in a Jennifer Aniston movie replacing the gay friend with a fundy.

Fundy friend: "You can't do that! It's against the Bible! You need to be married first! Put Christ back in Christmas!"

Or another:

Fundy friend: "That makes you a liar! And liars shall not enter into the Kingdom! Let's look at the ten commandments..."

LOL! :grin:

We definitely need more fundies in film!

As for the gay stereotype It really doesn't faze me anymore. You have to get over it, especially if you want to watch a romantic comedy.

I dunno, maybe it's a step up from taboo non-existance and maybe eventually watching the ripped and tough male action lead kiss his equally ripped and tough boyfriend goodbye before they both go to blow away the bad guys will be a normal sight one day.

Yes, people are still getting used to the idea of seeing gays on screen; it will take awhile for them to be shown as average, every day people. Just think of all the stereotypes of African-Americans in old movies. Not saying there still aren't some, but a lot better than the days when you had maids and butlers tap dancing and chuckling for the white folk. (Think of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson in Shirley Temple movies.) Will people ever drop stereotypes totally?

I really like the movie idea about the fundy "friend". Hmmmm, is that a stereotype of fundies? Naw, they're really like that!

IMO, the cure to this comes in the wonderful form of Will & Grace.

Not quite my favorite, and probably including a few flaws I'm not critical/haven't seen enough episodes to notice, but easily one of the best network sitcoms on TV.

Or another:

JP you are a funny fuck.........Maybe you have found the role to get Kirk Cameron back into show biz.

It's an annoying "new" stereotype. Instead of being nonexistant and taboo in media, now they want to show everyone gays are ok too by making them the fun, happy, neutered, quirky friends of the Heteros.

Quite right. There's such a thing as "the opposite extreme".

I think it may indeed be a step up from public nonexistence, but the goal will not be reached before the movies treat homosexuals and heterosexuals 99 % equal. Whenever that might be.

Unfortunately, many "good heteros" ;) find the clichee of the short-haired aggressive badarse man-babe, or of the effeminate whining male homosexual, so damn funny that these clichees sell. :Hmm:

It's like the monster has now become the cuddly pet. An overdose of sweetness, so to say. I don't doubt that there's some good will in it all, but... oh well.

My students in the Personal Protection/Handgun classes sponsored by the Pink Pistols would not support that terrible sterotypical "fags" mode male or female..

Dunno what a *homosexual* is supposed to look or act like, but AFAdFIC people have an intrinsic right to take care of themselves, feel free i an enviroment of their choosing, and not fear a can of asswhoopin' being opened up due to *orientation*.

Excuse me whilst I place my cardigan sweater on with the argyle socks.. With a Sparks IWB holster and the stubby 1911 stoked...

kL

If they have to show a gay character, in my opinion, it couldn't be with stereotypes or in a satirical context, making fun of the gay stereotypes.

Either that or nothing. Whatever that is, at least do a fresh twist on the gay equation.

Like actually showing a gay sex scene like other romantic comedies that show hetty sex scenes. (Not just a shocking gay kiss scene)

Yes, quirky, funny, neutered gay guys exist and is well represented in TV and movies but gay guys like me, satirical, sharp, shocking, non pussified (Not in the sense of SouthPark's Mr Slave but he's funny as hell) non neutered, extremely uncampy and intelligent are woefully underrepresented in movies and TV.

Movie and TV series creators, if you feel a urge to pen a gay character, at least do an original twist on the gay character. We're sick of the stereotypes.

Give us the fundie characters instead, they never change and best of all, people will be more forgiving of the basting the fundies get. We the gay guys will be a lot more interested in laughing at fundy characters just because they repressed us for years and years. It's time...

Quite right. There's such a thing as "the opposite extreme".

I think it may indeed be a step up from public nonexistence, but the goal will not be reached before the movies treat homosexuals and heterosexuals 99 % equal. Whenever that might be.

Unfortunately, many "good heteros" ;) find the clichee of the short-haired aggressive badarse man-babe, or of the effeminate whining male homosexual, so damn funny that these clichees sell. :Hmm:

It's like the monster has now become the cuddly pet. An overdose of sweetness, so to say. I don't doubt that there's some good will in it all, but... oh well.

I totally agree with you, though the ultra-flambouyant ones do exist and can be tolerable in small doses. It just makes me appreciate the gay Black guy in Spin City (I forgot his name) for making something beyond his sexuality.

I don't watch that crap, but I am aware of the stereotypes of gays out there that sells. And it does kind of bother me as it does give people the wrong impression of gays, as effiminate and all that crap...