Goodbye Jesus

Religion and the workplace

Mike D

I recently saw a show on a business channel that more and more large corporations in the US are starting to allow religion to be practiced on company property, either for things like prayer groups, religious studies, etc. According to the show, most of these companies make it clear that they do not promote religion and that these groups should meet on their own time and no employee is forced to attend. They claim the purpose of this is that it achieves more of a "work/life balance" friendly workplace for employees, and encourages diversity.

I personally feel that this is a very very bad idea, and I hope this isn't a growing trend. They did point out that the majority of these groups are Christian (for obvious reasons) and tend to be prayer groups and Bible studies. If religion is allowed to be openly practiced on company property, it then creates an environment where employees will undoubtedly be forced to reveal their private beliefs, perhaps as they are cornered at the watercooler and invited to attend a lunch-hour Bible study or Quran reading. And I don't think this is just bad for atheists or the non-religious...... how would a Baptist feel if he is asked to attend an afternoon prayer group with speaking in tongues Pentecostals? I think most people realize that religion is an inapproriate topic of conversation at work for those very reasons, and I think this will now make it acceptable or even encourage it, IMO. Should we now worry about having our personal beliefs "outed" at work, which may open us up to discrimination or unfounded personal bias, by people who militantly oppose what we believe?

I should add that the title of this show was "Jesus Sells" and focused on the increasing trend of secular corporations recognizing that religion is becoming big business in the US vs a mere private religous belief, and they are now going out of their way to cater to Christian consumers. But at what cost?

I would never be able to work at such a place. How scary.

I don't like this idea either.

I can see it now....the christians having their little lunch meeting...pointing at those of us that they see as "going to hell." :Doh:

Interestingly also, most places of business that I have seen with the word "christian" in thier name...such as "christian glass" or "christian plumbing" (LOL) or whatever....they screw people over the worst with their phoney business practices and end up in court the most. :lmao:

Just goes to show you that people will fall for anything..."oh, let's pick THAT business b/c they SAY they are christian"......

A small group of about 6 to 10 people hold a lunch-time bible study at my work. They all go file into one of our conference rooms with their bibles, shut the door, and do their bible study thing.

I occasionally play golf with one of the attendees. He has never asked me about my religion, or invited me to attend.

I go to lunch about once a week with another person who attends. – He actually did invite me, and I politely declined. He never asked me again, and we still go to lunch.

Another attendee who is also a friend of mine sent me an unsolicited offer for a free copy of Rick Warren’s purpose driven life – That encounter did entail me not only declining the offer, but also explaining why. Fortunately, he no longer works here, as that encounter did push the envelope.

So you’re correct – the bible study at work did force me to reveal that I’m not a Christian. I felt I had to be careful to limit what I said to decline, as well as be careful about how I said because I am concerned about such Christian backlashes at work.

Interestingly also, most places of business that I have seen with the word "christian" in thier name...such as "christian glass" or "christian plumbing" (LOL) or whatever....they screw people over the worst with their phoney business practices and end up in court the most.  :lmao:

Just goes to show you that people will fall for anything..."oh, let's pick THAT business b/c they SAY they are christian"......

Hey now you, let's not forget where I work! :lmao:

Here in Michigan we too have businesses with Christ attached to it somehow. :ugh:

There is a Christ Centered Homes-Senior In-Home Health Care

There is a Good Shepard Credit Union

There are also several ads in the local yellow pages with ads for various other businesses that say We are a Christian business.....

Makes me ill.... :woopsie:

There is a Christ Centered Homes-Senior In-Home Health Care

There is a Good Shepard Credit Union

:lmao: Too funny for words. Leaves me nearly speechless.

My question is why. Why do the religious have to bring their beliefs to the workspace?! I don't understand it. Is it psychologically gratifying to them to have their belief systems extend outside the home and Sunday services? This sounds to me like an insecurity issue.

You'll never see an atheist organizing a lunchbreak reading of The Demon Haunted World or Origin of Species. We're simply not that insecure that we have to lug our baggage around with us everywhere we go.

Jesus Christ!

My question is why.  Why do the religious have to bring their beliefs to the workspace?!  I don't understand it.  Is it psychologically gratifying to them to have their belief systems extend outside the home and Sunday services?  This sounds to me like an insecurity issue.

You'll never see an atheist organizing a lunchbreak reading of The Demon Haunted World or Origin of Species.  We're simply not that insecure that we have to lug our baggage around with us everywhere we go.

Jesus Christ!

Agreed Neil; why the need to Christianize EVERYTHING!

Where in the Bible does it say that a prayer is required before a Little League game; during your coffee break; over a bowl of Coco Pebbles? And the list goes on and on. It has nothing to do with any personal requirements of their faith; it is done for the sole purpose of projecting their power as a group.