Goodbye Jesus

Doing A Documentary

Greydon Square

My brother and i are contemplating doing a documentary on organized religion. We want to cover a range of questions, mostly on why the bible doesnt really add up, but the thing we want to have is actual religious leaders of the various communities offer them a chance to explain the various inconsistencies and contridictions. I just wanted everyone elses opinions and suggestions on what questions or issues you want us to address in the documentary. Do you think this is a good idea? what i want to do it like "Loose Change" the documentary about 9\11

What issues would you the ex-christians like to see covered?

Greydon Square

Grand Unified Theory

why people get into organized religion and why they leave it, that'd be nice points to cover. If its done well and is smart, then it'd be cool to see your finished product. Just call up well known leaders in your community, or even famous ones and tell them you're doing a piece where you want all sides to tell their point, and they'll participate. People like talking to the press and telling their stories. One semester of journalism taught me that.

why people get into organized religion and why they leave it, that'd be nice points to cover. If its done well and is smart, then it'd be cool to see your finished product. Just call up well known leaders in your community, or even famous ones and tell them you're doing a piece where you want all sides to tell their point, and they'll participate. People like talking to the press and telling their stories. One semester of journalism taught me that.

thats a really good concept...why people get in and why they leave...hmmm....ive been arguing with my brother because i think xtians will think that this is just another way of persecuting them...im wondering how do i accomplish this without coming off like that

Ask people if they actually fully understand how the bible and Christianity came about, its similarities with present and past religions, and its contradictions to our understanding of how the universe works.

This is good, the history of xtianity i like that

thats a really good concept...why people get in and why they leave...hmmm....ive been arguing with my brother because i think xtians will think that this is just another way of persecuting them...im wondering how do i accomplish this without coming off like that

Take a course in Journalism, you can do it online nowadays. It'll be good practice for your documentary. Don't be threatening when you ask questions to either side, don't be for one idea or the other, try to be as bias-free as possible. I know this is hard but you can just ask people questions. Have you seen documentaries on MTV? They get diff povs out, they just ask people, they don't butt in and give their opinions. They follow around the person and don't give their own opinion.

Example, there's this show called True Life on MTV. One episode, years ago, was about drinking, they followed this one girl who was working as a cocktail waitress and dealing with her drinking problem. She wouldn't make it to work because of her alcoholism, they showed that. The MTV camera guys didn't narrate how wrong it was, they didn't give their opinion.

The girl's friend and roommate was the one who was upset and told the camera, that her friend didn't used to be this way and that she was unhappy for her friend, etc. Its about showing, not telling. People are smart, they don't want to be dumbed down. Your audience doesn't and your cast doesn't.

questions....

Why did you become a Christian?

Why did you leave Christianity behind?

How did your family and friends react at your decision?

Do you have any regrets about being a christian, do you have any regrets about leaving christianity behind?

Do you think you will ever go back? What would you want to happen in order to go back?

Why did you choose christianity? Why not Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc. ?

Try for open questions to get people talking instead of yes or no questions. Believe me people love to talk about themselves, ask them one or two of these open questions and that'll get them rambling.

Xians will think their being persecuted anyways, you have to do your own thing. Have you ever see that one movie The Devil's Playground , look it up on Netflix. Its about Amish kids and during the time when they're supposed to decide whether to stay Amish or go out into the world. Its not Anti-Amish but it does give you a look into their world. As long as you get both sides of the stories and don't act as if you're preaching then you'll be fine.

Take a course in Journalism, you can do it online nowadays. It'll be good practice for your documentary. Don't be threatening when you ask questions to either side, don't be for one idea or the other, try to be as bias-free as possible. I know this is hard but you can just ask people questions. Have you seen documentaries on MTV? They get diff povs out, they just ask people, they don't butt in and give their opinions. They follow around the person and don't give their own opinion.

Example, there's this show called True Life on MTV. One episode, years ago, was about drinking, they followed this one girl who was working as a cocktail waitress and dealing with her drinking problem. She wouldn't make it to work because of her alcoholism, they showed that. The MTV camera guys didn't narrate how wrong it was, they didn't give their opinion.

The girl's friend and roommate was the one who was upset and told the camera, that her friend didn't used to be this way and that she was unhappy for her friend, etc. Its about showing, not telling. People are smart, they don't want to be dumbed down. Your audience doesn't and your cast doesn't.

questions....

Why did you become a Christian?

Why did you leave Christianity behind?

How did your family and friends react at your decision?

Do you have any regrets about being a christian, do you have any regrets about leaving christianity behind?

Do you think you will ever go back? What would you want to happen in order to go back?

Why did you choose christianity? Why not Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc. ?

Try for open questions to get people talking instead of yes or no questions. Believe me people love to talk about themselves, ask them one or two of these open questions and that'll get them rambling.

Xians will think their being persecuted anyways, you have to do your own thing. Have you ever see that one movie The Devil's Playground , look it up on Netflix. Its about Amish kids and during the time when they're supposed to decide whether to stay Amish or go out into the world. Its not Anti-Amish but it does give you a look into their world. As long as you get both sides of the stories and don't act as if you're preaching then you'll be fine.

THANKS MAN I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INSIGHT

Well I'm not a man, but your welcome bro :)

My suggestion: don's sacrifice focus for breadth. Stay with one topic, or a limited range of topics, and do it deeply. Pay particular attention to how your topics segue into one another. If you try to cover too wide an array of topics it could become an incomprehensible, unmanageable mess.

Doesn't religion put so much emphasis on faith because it lacks credible evidence?

If you tell your child that the Easter Bunny hides eggs in the shrubbery and she doesn't believe you do you spank her and send her to bed without dinner? Then why does god do much worse to his children who likewise cannot believe without evidence?