Goodbye Jesus

We Are Not Americans, So They Say....

Greydon Square

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates had the following exchange with then Vice President Bush.

Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in god is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+FAST FORWARD 19 YEARS AND ASK IF ANYTHING HAS CHANGED++

In a new study by University of Minnesota sociologists in march of 2006, more than 2,000 people were asked which of their fellow citizens lacked the proper "vision of American society."

More than blacks or gays or immigrants or lesbians or even Muslims, atheists are viewed as the least American, according to the survey. And those without a god are the last people most folks would want their children to marry.

This makes me wonder if we had our own region or land how long it would take for the Xtians to say that we were evil and we were harboring terrorist. How long would it take Christians to declare war on us?

Depends on if one of Bush's descendants were President. If so, less than a year. If not, depends on how fundy the President is.

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates had the following exchange with then Vice President Bush.

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in god is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

In a new study by University of Minnesota sociologists in march of 2006, more than 2,000 people were asked which of their fellow citizens lacked the proper "vision of American society."

More than blacks or gays or immigrants or lesbians or even Muslims, atheists are viewed as the least American, according to the survey. And those without a god are the last people most folks would want their children to marry.

This makes me wonder if we had our own region or land how long it would take for the Xtians to say that we were evil and we were harboring terrorist. How long would it take Christians to declare war on us?

Sounds like a lot of paranoia to me. :Hmm:

Dont turn yourself into a victim. There isnt going to be a Christian/atheist war.

Probably depends up on whether or not we had any oil!

Wouldn't take more than 15 minutes to start murmuring about what a threat we were, though.

Dont turn yourself into a victim. There isnt going to be a Christian/atheist war.

if thats what helps you sleep at night... i dont think it would be a war...i would probably be another crusade type event, im not being paranoid just realistic. The religious fanatics would very much like to purge the planet of free thinkers.

It is precisely because of THIS attitude towards atheists, that I believe all atheists (and other non-believers) should be more open/bold in declaring our unbelief. The fear exists, because we are misunderstood. People fear that which they don't know. But once family and friends are forced to realize that people whom they know and love are one of "those", then it'll be harder to demonize us. So long as we remain a mystery, and so long as we allow our opponents to paint their own skewed picture of who we are, then we'll stay marginalized and counted the "enemy" of all that is "decent". Mark my words.

All Bush is trying to do is to garner a governing majority and do what ever it takes to keep them happy even if it isolates everyone else. Every president, be they Republican or Democrat, all do the same thing.

I agree with that most of all. Sure, W is a fundy, but even that takes a back seat to his quest for political power. All politicians place that as their first goal. Money and power are always the game, and always have been.

In the end, W would sell out Jeezus™ for his true gods, Money and Power, just like any politician. There is no honor among thieves.

if thats what helps you sleep at night... i dont think it would be a war...i would probably be another crusade type event, im not being paranoid just realistic. The religious fanatics would very much like to purge the planet of free thinkers.

:HaHa: sure thing, buddy. Start loading up on ammo if thats what helps YOU sleep at night. haha.

It is precisely because of THIS attitude towards atheists, that I believe all atheists (and other non-believers) should be more open/bold in declaring our unbelief. The fear exists, because we are misunderstood. People fear that which they don't know. But once family and friends are forced to realize that people whom they know and love are one of "those", then it'll be harder to demonize us. So long as we remain a mystery, and so long as we allow our opponents to paint their own skewed picture of who we are, then we'll stay marginalized and counted the "enemy" of all that is "decent". Mark my words.

You're probably right, it's just discouraging to think about all the lecturing and yelling that would go with it. It's lonley at the forefront.

How many atheists are there out there, really? Since most of us don't feel free to admit it, and some go so far as to attend church to keep the peace, there's no accurate count anywhere. And that doesn't even consider the number who just say they're xtian because they know they're supposed to say, but have never even really thought about it. I suspect that, if there were no such taboo, the number would be more than anyone imagines.

I think there's a lot of "agnostic" Christians. Probably Christian by name, but are more like Deists in their views. (I could be wrong, but I suspect it's so.)

I think there's a lot of "agnostic" Christians. Probably Christian by name, but are more like Deists in their views. (I could be wrong, but I suspect it's so.)

My parents are like that. I used to know a lot of people who are like that. I used to be like that myself. If all the agnostic or deist Christians quit going to church, we'd probably be left with just the fundies.