Goodbye Jesus

Life As A Non Believer

padhyde

If you are fortunate enough to discard all forms of religious belief you are left with the problem of how to live with religion and it's consequences. If you read newspapers, watch TV or listen to the radio you will frequently be confronted by stories associated with religion. As soon as you leave home you will see physical representation of religion through Churches and in other buildings. Just thinking about all the millions of lives which religion has affected is enough to challenge the peace of mind of a sensitive non believer. So what should we do? Are we going to spend the rest of our lives getting het up and angry? Are we going to try to convert others to our point of view? For my part, I am going to refuse to allow religion to have an adverse effect on my life from now on. It has taken a heavy toll already. I am heartened to see the range and depth of contributions made to these websites. Having paid a brief visit I am going to retreat to the sidelines and get on with my life. My mother's maiden name was Godfree. Well at last, so am I.

I have come to the conclusion that religion could well become a victim of the internet. Access to the information and ideas now being exchanged around the world will encourage more and more people to challenge their beliefs.

To the people who infected me for so long with the religious virus I say: I forgive you because you knew not what you did.

Good luck everyone.

I agree.

That is why I refuse to be mired down in bitterness about my loss of faith in Christianity.

Granted, all the religion I'm inundated with gets on my nerves...But it is the culture right now, so I don't let it get to me.

Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder are we so ultra religious right now because of the advent of the internet, technology, and etc...It seems like we are trying to retain our humanity in some way by holding onto the concept of God. If that makes any sense?

Meh...Religion doesn't bother me as much. It just like christmas and you drive around and see all these pictures of santa. I just know to me it's not real even if santa is real to every 5 year old that I see. Now just replace santa and jesus and replace 5 year old with grown people. No difference. I can go to church and still not be offended. I just get really really bored a lot faster since I know it's not real. But I got bored before so it's not really a big difference. I only get frustrated when I'm wasting my time or get hounded about my beliefs but those dumb questions and debates are easy to escape.

"Have you accepted Jesus Christ into your heart"

I did it when I was ten and did it with all my heart!!!

"have you been baptized"

Yep

They usually leave you alone from there.

I have come to the conclusion that religion could well become a victim of the internet. Access to the information and ideas now being exchanged around the world will encourage more and more people to challenge their beliefs.

How true that is, Padhyde. I would have never been able to see "the light" if it hadn't been for the Internet. Nowadays, you just google a topic and and a few seconds you have the truth in front of you. There is no time for the doubt to go away, since you are able to find out immediately.

I can't imagine what being a skeptic was like, say, 20 years ago, when you had to go to the library to research your doubts.