Goodbye Jesus

Understanding God's Plan

PeaceOfMind

The typical Christian response to life's random happenings, whether it be good, or whether it be bad, is somehow part of a "perfect" plan that God has set forth in our lives. This very plan however, is nothing short of being superficial, in a sense that there is nothing "perfect" about this. If anything, God's ultimate plan is that we, whether we are cruelly mistread and / or abused by him, find salvation in his son Jesus, in order that we, as a collective, worship Him; the insatiable ego.

:Wendywhatever: Fuck that.

The typical Christian response to life's random happenings, whether it be good, or whether it be bad, is somehow part of a "perfect" plan that God has set forth in our lives. This very plan however, is nothing short of being superficial, in a sense that there is nothing "perfect" about this. If anything, God's ultimate plan is that we, whether we are cruelly mistread and / or abused by him, find salvation in his son Jesus, in order that we, as a collective, worship Him; the insatiable ego.

The perfect plan and response for life.Fuck salvation in jezzus.If good its jeexus. If bad jeezus is testing us,,,all fuckin bullshit

One word describes that: Tom Delay. Okay well two then. You see it was god's plan to get him into politics only to get him out of politics, disgraced for laundring money in spite of Tx campaign laws. Which also reminds me of the Enron trial and Ken Lay's prayer circle and finding Jesus only on after being convicted.

Of course, God don't like no evil. Seeing He is the perfect being that he is, he just forgot to plan for it.

Ridiculous isn't it?

The perfect plan and response for life.Fuck salvation in jezzus.If good its jeexus. If bad jeezus is testing us,,,all fuckin bullshit

Well it does have the merit of being uncomplicated bullshit and very comprehensive in its scope. :)

The notion of "Gawd's Plan™" for our lives makes me want to scream whenever I must deal with Xians. They just can't admit that life is a chaotic battlefield of struggle and survival; to say that no god has any big Plan™ for us all is taking away the security blanket.

The Xian view of the universe is that it is a storm of temptation and the Devil's™ soldiers are loose everywhere, inspiring evil and leading souls to Hell™. If they allow themselves for one minute to think that their god hasn't got it all planned out in advance, then they must conclude that they are adrift in this turbulent sea, with only their grasp on their faith to sustain them. With Satan™ and his butt buddies assailing them from all sides, you can imagine the paranoia.

That, and the Xian has to explain away every shitty event by again insisting that their god has it all figured out. Otherwise, the death of a loved one or the loss of a home really is just a shitty event that their god didn't save them from, despite their most fervent prayers. Their god really isn't listening, or isn't powerful enough to live up to his Babblical™ promises. The Lard™ must have a Plan™ or else he really isn't listening :eek:

It's sad the things that many Xian will tell themselves just to justify holding on to that demented cult of thiers...

Yeah, I hated the god's plan cliche' even when I was a Christian.

Varokhar,

You couldn't have put it better when you stated that life is one chaotic battlefield of struggle and survival. My 12 years working at a level one trauma center comfirm that. Terrible things happen to good people every day, and it doesn't matter if they are Christians or Athesits. It doesn't matter if they prayed hard or not. Shittly luck and bad things happen at random, although many bad things that happen to people are the result of carelessness by themself or others. To say the death of a young person in a car accident is part of God's plan just makes no sense.

I guess one of the biggest unresloved issues that really sets my mind spinning and also the mind of any Christian I ask is this:

Where the fuck do we draw the line between free will and God's plan?

http://www.geocities.com/closetatheist/oddcouple.htm

I hope some of you have time to click on this link and readt this piece on the subject of God's plan vs free will. It is really good.

At my church, it wasn't just a plan it was a "lovely little plan"; it seemed to have something to do with them thinking I was supposed to get back together with my ex, even though they didn't even KNOW my alcoholic crack addicted compulsive liar ex.

:lmao:

The whole concept of someone having a plan, no matter how lovely or LITTLE, and using people as pawns to play out some stupid little drama has always infuriated me.

Does anyone remember the episode of the old (1960s version with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, etc.) Star Trek episode with what was essentially an overgrown two year old boy playing god with people's lives? I think the character's name was "Tremain" or something?

Yea, that's what the "lovely little plan" makes me think of.

It also brings out my Marxist tendencies because part of the lovely little plan seems to be for poor people/women/racial minorities to work themselves to death for the benefit of the corporations.

The Lovely Little Plan as a social/political control tool has been quite effective through the ages, unfortunately. :(

This is the major reason it has taken me so long to figure out what I've wanted to do with my life.

I was always waiting on "God's Plan" and "The Will of the lord" before making any decisions...

But the realization was that I was afraid of living life so I held fast to the bosom of Christianity.

I think most Christians are afraid of coping, and have to believe that there is some method to the madness...

But what if there is only madness in life?

This is the major reason it has taken me so long to figure out what I've wanted to do with my life.

I was always waiting on "God's Plan" and "The Will of the lord" before making any decisions...

But the realization was that I was afraid of living life so I held fast to the bosom of Christianity.

I think most Christians are afraid of coping, and have to believe that there is some method to the madness...

But what if there is only madness in life?

That's the way it was for me too, especially after hearing the testimonies of other Christians who said God provided a way for them in life. I was always fully expecting God to show me something to do with my life that would serve him... *sigh*

To me it sounds more probable that life isn't controlled by God, but simply by nature. Bad things happen, good things happen, in no specific order. There is no "plan," no system of punishment or reward - there's just life. To say God planned for who-knows-how-many children to die of starvation daily is part of God's plan is enough to make me sick. How far are these people really willing to go to say it's all a part of God's plan? Are they going to keep letting children starve because it's "God's will?"

Yet another reason why I left Christianity. <_<

Does anyone remember the episode of the old (1960s version with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, etc.) Star Trek episode with what was essentially an overgrown two year old boy playing god with people's lives? I think the character's name was "Tremain" or something?

Yea, that's what the "lovely little plan" makes me think of.

Yep. There's been speculation in the Trek fandom that Tremain was actually a Q. But I agree, it does make me think of that. Except John de Lancie's Q would at least have a sense of humor about the whole thing.