Goodbye Jesus

The Tie Is Broken

Vortex

After posting my testimony and joining the forums, I decided to go through with a plan I've had for some time. I wrote to the Archbishop of my Catholic Diocese and requested that I be excommunicated from the Catholic Church for taking ordination in another religious sect and for willfully joining the Masonic Fraternity while knowing the Church's stance on Freemasonry.

I received the following letter today. I have omitted personal data so as not to be hunted down by zealots:

My Name June 12,2006

My Steet Number

My City and State

Dear Firstname:

Archbishop XXXXXX has asked me to respond to your recent letter to him requesting excommunication from the Catholic Church.

I am sorry to learn of your decisiion to leave the Catholic Church. I will, however, on behalf of the Archdiocese of Hartford, acknowledge reception of your decision to abandon the Catholic Church by a formal act. If you wish me to notify the churhc where you were baptized of your decision and instruct that parish to make the apropriate notation in its baptismal registry, please let me know the name of the church and the town wherein it is located.

You will remain in my prayers.

Sincerely,

*Signature*

Reverend Monsignor Firstname MI Lastname

Chancellor

I'm going to ask that the notation be made.

Please folks, don't bash the Archdiocese or this man. I wa a courteous response to a courteous letter that I sent them.

This is my writ of MANUMISSION. I have told them that I no longer want to belong. This took some small bit of courage, (I think). I still haven't internalized it all. I do feel....better, but kind of wierd. Exhillarated. Scared. Free.

I just didn't know where to share this. I think only you folks would understand.

You totally took the red pill. Congratulations.

Guest Yams What I Yams

I'm not and have never been Catholic, but I must say I'm impressed with the tone of the Church's response. Such a letter written to my fundy church would have resulted in a huge and frightening intervention (elders, deacons, the choir, you name it - imagine them marching down the street like something out of a zombie movie), followed by a storm of gossip throughout the community. I've always thought the Catholic church is way more dignified than any fundy church I ever visited.

Is congratulations the right word here? If so, congrats! If not, then, kudos for having the courage and best of luck.

Yams

Way to have balls!!

Good for you!

I just didn't know where to share this. I think only you folks would understand.

Hard to beat that "free at last" feeling, no? I know it personally... :wicked:

You totally took the red pill. Congratulations.

Another cool way to say what should be said... ;)

:thanks:

After posting my testimony and joining the forums, I decided to go through with a plan I've had for some time. I wrote to the Archbishop of my Catholic Diocese and requested that I be excommunicated from the Catholic Church for taking ordination in another religious sect and for willfully joining the Masonic Fraternity while knowing the Church's stance on Freemasonry.

Quick question. I thought you had to believe be either a christian, muslim or jewish to be a Mason. Since your not a catholic anymore what is there attitude toward you?

Well, Vortex, I think you're the only member on the board that have a paper that certifies your hell-bound journey and entrance. No one can be more heathen than being excommunicated! :HaHa:

Congrats on your newfound freedom.

The one good thing about the protestant churches is that you don't have to formally leave to not be considered a member anymore, you can just stop going to church, AFAIK.

Congrats on hocking a loogey in the face of Big Momma Church™ :) I may just do the same, in time - when I care enough to.

My Name June 12,2006

My Steet Number

My City and State

Dear Firstname:

Archbishop XXXXXX has asked me to respond to your recent letter to him requesting excommunication from the Catholic Church.

I am sorry to learn of your decisiion to leave the Catholic Church. I will, however, on behalf of the Archdiocese of Hartford, acknowledge reception of your decision to abandon the Catholic Church by a formal act. If you wish me to notify the churhc where you were baptized of your decision and instruct that parish to make the apropriate notation in its baptismal registry, please let me know the name of the church and the town wherein it is located.

You will remain in my prayers.

I am soooooo tempted to making scathing comments about the "kindness" expressed in this letter. :ugh: But, you said no bashing, so I'll keep my opinions to myself. :wicked:

I'm ex-Catholic as well, and I didn't think you *had* to get formally excommunicated. Is it true that you need to write a letter to your Archbishop? Or did you just choose to go this route for your own personal reasons?

I'm ex-Catholic as well, and I didn't think you *had* to get formally excommunicated. Is it true that you need to write a letter to your Archbishop? Or did you just choose to go this route for your own personal reasons?

There is no need to write the Archbishop or make any formal withdrawl from the Church™. All you have to do is stop believing. After all, what'll happen - the Church Faeries will come and make you go to Mass™ unless you write the Archbishop? :HaHa:

I'm sure the Catholics would love that, though...

There is no need to write the Archbishop or make any formal withdrawl from the Church. All you have to do is stop believing.

I didn't think this was the case, but I think I may have heard individual priests say that this course of action is necessary.

After all, what'll happen - the Church Faeries will come and make you go to Mass unless you write the Archbishop? :HaHa:

No, but I have to put an act on for my abusive folks, remember? *They're* the ones who I feel are forcing me to attend Mass (even though they never say a thing about it to me).

I didn't think this was the case, but I think I may have heard individual priests say that this course of action is necessary.

I may have heard the same, and it's not unexpected - the world revolves around Big Mamma Church™, so they think even those who don't buy into it anymore still have to answer to the Church™ :Wendywhatever:

No, but I have to put an act on for my abusive folks, remember? *They're* the ones who I feel are forcing me to attend Mass (even though they never say a thing about it to me).

I hear ya loud n' clear - still putting on an act myself, if only to spare some old hearts unecessary stress. Seems like you've got a bunch of Evil Church Faeries already :(

I hear ya loud n' clear - still putting on an act myself, if only to spare some old hearts unecessary stress. Seems like you've got a bunch of Evil Church Faeries already :(

Yeah. :( I thought faeries were supposed to be make-believe. I only wish that these ones were. :(

Well, Vortex, I think you're the only member on the board that have a paper that certifies your hell-bound journey and entrance. No one can be more heathen than being excommunicated! :HaHa:

Eh, my written confirmation that I'm no longer a member of the German Lutheran church doesn't count at all? :(

Also, some ex-mormon here (can't remember right now who it is) has posted his personal letter of excommunication in the forums a while ago... :wicked:

Quick question. I thought you had to believe be either a christian, muslim or jewish to be a Mason. Since your not a catholic anymore what is there attitude toward you?

In order to be a mason, you must espouse belief in a supreme being in order to be eligable for the first three degrees. Freemasonry makes no further inquiry into your beliefs other than that, unless one decides to persue the branch of apendant bodies in what is called the York Rite. The final degree in the York RIte, that of Knight Templar, requires the candidate to be a professed Christian, (but makes no stipulation as to the sect of Christianity). I have heard it mentioned that the one may merely promise to "draw your sword" in defense of Christianity if it were attacked. I am not sure I could do that, given the Christian Reconstructionist agenda. I could see myself "drawing my sword" against that type of subversion of the United States Constitution.

Sorry if that's more answer than you bargained for. :twitch:

As to my brothers' attitudes. It's been very accepting. Sectarian religion is *NOT* discussed in lodge. After lodge meetings, spiritual topics have come up, and I've been pretty open about my beliefs and there hasn't been any friction.

As to the "having" to write the Archbishop. Well, no. It isn't necessary to do that in order for the Church to consider you excommunicated. You are, but they don't *know* you are. This was entirely a personal decision on my part. I needed to feel as if I had complete ownership of my own soul.

It is possible that I could have been rendered in an unresponsive state, in another area for a hospital chaplan to make inquiry to the closest Archdiocese to the address listed on my ID, and minister to me as a Catholic, which I would not prefer. (I admit that it would have to be a small hospital, and the chaplain would have to have a *lot* of time on his hands.)

I wrote to the Archdiocese to let them know, politely, that I was leaving and that there was one less in the X.X billion Catholics in the world.

I had listened to what they said, watched what they did, understood what they "stood for" and said "no thanks.

It does feel a little wierd. I half expected a thunder clap and the earth to swallow me up, (talk about gettin' jiggy with Gaia :wicked: ) But it was like reading any other piece of mail.

I slept well that night for the first time in a long time.

Sorry about the long post, thanks for reading.