Goodbye Jesus

God And The Devil

Golden Meadows

I came across something which seems to suggest a certain ambiguity with respect to the identities of the bible god and Satan. In 2 Sam 24:1 it clearly states that it is Yahweh who incites David to carry out the census for which people will suffer as a result. In 1 Chronicles 21:1 it states clearly that it is Satan who incites David to carry out the census. Notice how merciful the bible god is - it is he who incites David to carry out the census then he punishes the Israelites by the massacre of 70,000 of them in the subsequent epidemic he sends!

In the Book of Jubilees (it forms part of the canon in some eastern church's even though the western church tried to suppress it) Satan is called Mastema, the chief of all the evil spirits. In this book it is Satan who is responsible for the genocide of the Egyptian children and the hardening of Pharaohs heart in the confrontation with Moses, in the OT it isYahoo who does these things.

The Book of Jubilees has been found amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Church that accept its canonicity say it was given to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

Its possible to quote verses from the OT that show its Yahweh who is the source of evil but this is too much like proof texting that fundies use to prove anything they want. Its sufficient here to recognise that the so called infallible word of God equates Satan with God in the above passages and if one is prepared to step outside of the conventional western canon we see that other ancient Jewish texts do the same.

I have heard people very worried that they have committed the unpardonable sin by equating Satan with God but it would appear they are in good company which should quell any fear they may have if they still hang onto the idea of death/judgment/heaven/hell - they have a rock solid defence - Gods infallible word says the same.

In many respects it would seem that the early hebrews image of their god was similar to the pagan deities, i.e. the good was mixed with the bad and that the creation of the devil comes later as their religion evolves.

Anyway the above would seem to be another example of how prone to error the bible is.

All Satan™ does is annoy Job and tempt Jeezus™. The god of the Babble™ incinerates cities, orders animal sacrifices, had his own son tortured and murdered to appeas his own lust for blood, sends millions to Hell™ to suffer for simply displeasing him, and ordered rape, slavery, and genocide.

Which is the true devil here? :scratch:

All Satan™ does is annoy Job and tempt Jeezus™. The god of the Babble™ incinerates cities, orders animal sacrifices, had his own son tortured and murdered to appeas his own lust for blood, sends millions to Hell™ to suffer for simply displeasing him, and ordered rape, slavery, and genocide.

Which is the true devil here? :scratch:

I take it you think I am casting an unfair slur on Satans character by showing how the bible equates him with God ? I apologise.

I think it is also makes a good point that people attribute everything that happens to something they can't see. They can't accept that humans can do such "horrible" things and so attribute either to an evil deity or a deity who did it with a greater good in mind. Good evidence that people make up god, religion, and a spiritual realm all for pacifying answers.

I take it you think I am casting an unfair slur on Satans character by showing how the bible equates him with God ? I apologise.

:HaHa:

Nah, just making a point - Satan™ is supposed to be the real devil, but the god of the Babble™ acts more demonic in the text. Funny, innit?

I think it is also makes a good point that people attribute everything that happens to something they can't see. They can't accept that humans can do such "horrible" things and so attribute either to an evil deity or a deity who did it with a greater good in mind. Good evidence that people make up god, religion, and a spiritual realm all for pacifying answers.

yeh: "the devil made me do it" kind of excuse.

:HaHa:

Nah, just making a point - Satan™ is supposed to be the real devil, but the god of the Babble™ acts more demonic in the text. Funny, innit?

Came across the following: "Hasidic Judaism teaches that "Satan is but the extension of the left side of God Himself." ,

see http://www.e-commercesolutions.net/members...SatanStudy.html

p.s thanks, got this link through one of your old posts