Goodbye Jesus

Hello

Guest Purpurea

Guest Purpurea

Hi to the XC Forum......you guys don't really have a thread for intros, so I hope this is an o.k. thread to post on.

I'm a Christian......but I'm not here to re-convert anybody, for the simple reason that I think it's better for you (y'all? youze? yiz? --hereafter referred to as YYYY :-) to be honestly where you are than to be pretendingly where somebody like me is. (It'd probably actually be better for Christianity if everyone who is pretending would exit, anyway.) I don't think God is about pretending, and I don't think a person who is making an effort to be honest is in danger of hellfire. God probably likes YYYY better than all the pretenders, not that of course YYYY believe there's anybody there to be liking YYYY.

Also, I would be unable to intellectually debate people for the simple reason that I arrived at my faith on a gut/intuitive level. It was about as intellectual as gasping for oxygen and finding it. I've grown up in the church all my life, in fact as a preacher's kid (an upbringing 99% guaranteed to produce atheists :HaHa: ), and probably 65% of what I saw was bland, sickening, and phony; but there was a tiny vein of gold running through the landfill, as it were, and that to me was God. The atmosphere sometimes made me sick, but there was l'il jet stream of oxygen--albeit that it was not easy to find it in church :scratch:

I was on an atheist website recently; a lot of the stories there were similar to here. I would say 90% were ex-pastors, ex-missionaries, MK's and PK's, which didn't totally surprise me. It's those people that get exposed to the muckiest parts of church life.

BTW, if anybody responds, I don't usually read hyperlong posts, since I'm on two other forums and still using the dinosaur-mode dial-up.

Best to YYYY :dumbo:

dup text snip

p.s. What's that gold thing next to my username? Is that like a crown or something?????

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I don't think God is about pretending, and I don't think a person who is making an effort to be honest is in danger of hellfire. God probably likes YYYY better than all the pretenders, not that of course YYYY believe there's anybody there to be liking YYYY.

Do you believe the Bible is the inspried word of god? If so, then you know that the only way to avoid hell is belief in Jesus. Therefore, if someone honestly doesn't believe in Jesus, off to hell they will go.

And what exactly is a "pretender"? If someone honestly believes they are a Christian, how are they pretending? And as you said... if they are honest, won't they avoid hell?

Just curious, why do you remain a Christian? What's the point?

Hi Purpurea,

Welcome to Ex-C! I have to say that you are a breath of fresh air, considering we don't get too many Christians here who have tried to understand us. I love your sense of humor too.

I just have to say that if your Christianity works for you, great. You do seem to understand that everyone has thier own truth and you accept that anyone's truth maybe different from yours.

Thanks

Taph

Interesting screenname... Digitalis or Echinacea?

Anyway, I didn't leave because the church upset me, however. It seems to me that you think most Christians left because we saw the worst the church had to offer. That's just not true. Some of us have, but I don't think I have. Sure, there were some things that made me mad and I didn't agree with, but for the most part, my experiences with church were pretty decent.

I didn't want to leave. I left because I couldn't swallow the historical validity of the Bible. I used to have faith in it. For some reason, I just can't get that back no matter how hard I try.

and probably 65% of what I saw was bland, sickening, and phony; but there was a tiny vein of gold running through the landfill, as it were, and that to me was God. The atmosphere sometimes made me sick, but there was l'il jet stream of oxygen--albeit that it was not easy to find it in church

Hi, Purpurea. I too like your screen name. I'd think the decent stuff you saw in church was the good side of human nature. Anyway, cheers

Guest Purpurea

Interesting screenname... Digitalis or Echinacea?

Anyway, I didn't leave because the church upset me, however. It seems to me that you think most Christians left because we saw the worst the church had to offer. That's just not true. Some of us have, but I don't think I have. Sure, there were some things that made me mad and I didn't agree with, but for the most part, my experiences with church were pretty decent.

I didn't want to leave. I left because I couldn't swallow the historical validity of the Bible. I used to have faith in it. For some reason, I just can't get that back no matter how hard I try.

Echinacea :-) I saw a picture of something that looked like it yesterday, very pretty. I think Echinacea Purpurea is the better quality one for the immune system if I remember right.

Probably my impression of people's reasons was based on the one website I visited......people were telling about their crummy experiences in church etc. Also mosts of my sibs are XC's, and there were upsetting things that happened that I knew about which would tip almost anyone's scales over. Maybe 10 or 15 percent of the accounts I read sounded more like maybe what your reasons are, though, such as I just don't think it's logical, etc. Usually when I move on in life, it's because I'm either offended or bored, not because of illogic (which general life is full of anyway) but of course that doesn't mean you're wired the same, and logic matters more to some, less to others.

You know, Mike, I think the human spirit is such a complex and mysterious thing.....and I don't think it's quite so simple as checking a box yes or no as to belief in Jesus, and if you check no, you're sunk. I think it depends on why someone checks yes or no, their motivations, which can be very multi-layered and complex. If they say yes just because they wanted to look good in front of their Christian clique, for instance, no God worth his salt is fooled by a "yes" like that. On the other hand, if they say no because they have entirely justifiable objections to burning people alive at the stake in his name, or because it doesn't seem to them to intellectually stack up, or maybe they were emotianally abused in church, well I think God takes that into consideration. As Purpurea's Paraphrase reads, "Even if every Christian be trigger-happy on the furnace switch, let God be full of compassion."

You know, Mike, I think the human spirit is such a complex and mysterious thing.....and I don't think it's quite so simple as checking a box yes or no as to belief in Jesus, and if you check no, you're sunk. I think it depends on why someone checks yes or no, their motivations, which can be very multi-layered and complex. If they say yes just because they wanted to look good in front of their Christian clique, for instance, no God worth his salt is fooled by a "yes" like that. On the other hand, if they say no because they have entirely justifiable objections to burning people alive at the stake in his name, or because it doesn't seem to them to intellectually stack up, or maybe they were emotianally abused in church, well I think God takes that into consideration. As Purpurea's Paraphrase reads, "Even if every Christian be trigger-happy on the furnace switch, let God be full of compassion."

That is a very nice idea and I hope that if all this Christianity stuff is true (I don't think it is, but you never know...) God is really that nice and understanding. However, you must know that the God of the Bible is portrayed as anything but merciful most of the time.

Hello, Purpurea. It sounds like you are a Universalist? Not trying to put a label on your forehead, just figuring out your stance. (Personally, I hate labelling.)

On the other hand, if they say no because they have entirely justifiable objections to burning people alive at the stake in his name...well I think God takes that into consideration

I understand where you are going with this, and as others have said it would be nice to think that "god" was really like this. But based on the Bible, people were killed right and left in the name of god all the time. In fact many times God himself sanctioned or personally carried out he killings. For example, in the bloodbath we call the OT god commands us to violently murder homosexuals (Lev 20:13), execute those we hear curse (Ex 24:16), stone disobedient children (Duet 21:18-21), put to death those who dare to work on the sabbath (Num 15:32-36), etc etc. IMO burning people alive at the stake in the name of god/Jesus was just another method of punishing the "wicked" as god commands in the Bible. So based on the examples we have of god's nature in the Bible, doesn't it seem a little far fetched that he would excuse someone for having objections to his commands? Seems more likely he would fly into a violent rage and "get even" with them for their defiance like Bible tells us he's done so many times before....

Hello, Purpurea. It sounds like you are a Universalist? Not trying to put a label on your forehead, just figuring out your stance. (Personally, I hate labelling.)

What's that....short for a person (a christian) who searches the entire planet for the only one true chruch...can't find one ......then starts a church of their own....don't touch me I'm an "universalist"

I've read this line before....heaps and heaps of times...keep god out of it huh?

All bout the 'crummy' experience ........yep....but 'not in my church'...right Purpura? or "my god"...

good for you!...I say.

But why don't you understand that for a heap of people (thoughout history)....that isn't the case...considering that 'gawd' has made man (yep sexist)... in his image & all that other stuff......where is god found then...in a book?...or in history...or...yeah.....ditto what mikeD says...

cheery pip at all that...

but seeing as thou' you won't be reading this I guess its a waste of time.......Hahha...one way to suggest a 'liberal' christian.....is to say...I'm not really online all that much..so I might not bother with this again....

lets see?

Guest Purpurea

IMO burning people alive at the stake in the name of god/Jesus was just another method of punishing the "wicked" as god commands in the Bible.

Actually, there is a prohibition in scripture against burning people alive--it's in Jeremiah someplace.

While I'm not Jewish, I sometimes consult knowledgeable Jewish people on some of the troubling portions of the OT.......some of the Talmudic commentary is quite ingenious, and delves below the surface appearance of some of the events.

It's interesting that I seem to be coming across as a Universalist :HaHa: To me that means bland. Take it back or else! :grin:

I think I'll jump over and see what "youse" have on your humor thread.

Guest Purpurea

Hey snookums, Mike, Ex-COG, Young Mother, ficino, Bobo and Tapho.....just wanted to say thanks for taking time out to chat with me.......I'm already falling behind on my other forums, guess I just can't carry three, so I guess this is it. Have a great summer & don't be a computer geek like me & stay inside when the sun is shining. :Doh::HaHa:

Hello Purpurea. I agree that there are far too many people who call themselves Christians who really don't follow what it means to be Christian.... People who are Christian by name, and so on.

Now, I would say that it would be better if people were not so pressured into Christianity. I would say that most of these people call themselves Christians because they would be slighted by family or friends otherwise.