Opinions Requested

Lizard

Read this and let me know what you think it means, because I'm not sure if I'm reading it right.

If I am, I'm about to start some real bullshit..

1472 Retention of Family Preservation Services Case Records

CPS 96-8

Rule

Family preservation case information is the documentation of a case in which the Texas Department of [Family and Protective Services (DFPS)] provided ongoing protective services in the child’s home, but [DFPS] was not the managing conservator of the child and the child was never in foster care under any legal basis.

[DFPS] must retain ongoing services case information for at least five years after the case is closed or until the 18th birthday of the youngest child living in the home when services were provided, whichever is longer. The case information must then be destroyed.

Thanks..

Family preservation case information is the documentation of a case in which the Texas Department of [Family and Protective Services (DFPS)] provided ongoing protective services in the child’s home, but [DFPS] was not the managing conservator of the child and the child was never in foster care under any legal basis.

This sounds like they are refering to a case where they had become involved to some extent, but the parents either retained full custody and control of the child or possibly another relative obtained custody. Family services did not have to remove the child and place them in foster care.

[DFPS] must retain ongoing services case information for at least five years after the case is closed or until the 18th birthday of the youngest child living in the home when services were provided, whichever is longer. The case information must then be destroyed.

The minimum that info on the case can be kept is for five years. If, for example, the child in question is 15 when the case is closed, they will keep records on the case until the child turns 20. If the child is 5, the records will be kept until they turn 18. I least that's what it sounds like to me.

I sometimes...well, ok, often...think that government agencies make up the rules as they go, or at least bend and twist whatever doublespeak is on the books. "Gubmint" one, common folk zero.

This sounds like they are refering to a case where they had become involved to some extent, but the parents either retained full custody and control of the child or possibly another relative obtained custody. Family services did not have to remove the child and place them in foster care.

The minimum that info on the case can be kept is for five years. If, for example, the child in question is 15 when the case is closed, they will keep records on the case until the child turns 20. If the child is 5, the records will be kept until they turn 18. I least that's what it sounds like to me.

I ditto that.