Goodbye Jesus

I Am Meeting With A Pastor From The Local Ag Church Tomorrow...

Johnny Smith

You all have given some very solid advice. I really appreciate it.

I have briefly entertained the thought that this man might be subconsciously attempting to wrap his claws around his prey (me) and mold me into his image.

I was really hoping to have a thoughtful discussion with him about my intellectual struggles. However, his response, "if you were not a Christian, you would not be here," seemed to deflate any chance of truly discussing the issues which plague me.

At one point in the conversation, he stated something along the lines of, "people who get to the place you are at either do two things, 1) They walk away from the Lord or 2) They use it as an opportunity to get closer to the Lord." He then said, "and from our conversations I do not gather that you are wanting to do the first" (i.e., walk away from the Lord). It didn't give me an opportunity to be real with him about my disbelief in "the Lord."

You know, maybe I really should back out of this agreement to go to this conference. I have not taken a real vacation in several years, and could sure use a week to just do nothing... I thought about that as I was leaving work this evening.

Oh - stupid Christian myths...

JS

I have briefly entertained the thought that this man might be subconsciously attempting to wrap his claws around his prey (me) and mold me into his image.

This is exactly what he is trying to do. Don't "entertain" the thought - believe it.

AoG/Pentecostal preachers are some of the most slimy, slippery, manipulative people on the face of the fucking planet. They're worse than used car salesmen. It doesn't surprise me in the least that you caved - not from a perceived lack of strength or character on your part, but because of just how amazingly well-trained at mindfucking AoG pastors are.

This pastor is not really interested in helping you. He's interested in keeping you in the fold. He is not looking out for your best interests, he is not interested in allowing you to be an independent adult, capable of thinking for yourself. He has been programmed not to want that, and to make sure that it doesn't happen. You're probably right that it isn't conscious - but that means it's just second nature to him by now.

I highly recommend canceling that check and taking the week off. Then never go back to that pastor again. Don't take his calls, don't talk to him. Write him a letter or emails only, if you must - written communcation will give you more time in which to consider and dissect any bullshit arguments he might try to give you. (That "if you weren't Xian you wouldn't be here" line has got to be the stupidest appeal to emotion I've ever heard.)

People like this guy are really really really hard to escape from. If you want to have any kind of freedom to really explore your religious and spiritual beliefs, you have to somehow make your escape. Otherwise you're going to stay stuck. And I know I hate seeing people stay stuck like that.

It's much, much more freeing and wonderful to actually be able to use your brain.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you caved - not from a perceived lack of strength or character on your part, but because of just how amazingly well-trained at mindfucking AoG pastors are.

I was thinking about this. As strong as I think I am, I would probably had caved in too. These people are really good at manipulating vulnerable souls, such as me.

Maybe I subsconsciously know that and that's why I have avoided them like the pest and haven't told them of my change of beliefs. There was a fundy that kept on calling, but I sent him a polite letter basically saying leave me alone: "I am not in need of any spiritual assistance."

Anyway, Johnny, you are trying your best to break away. It is difficult at the beginning so don't feel ashamed for having fallen for it. Just keep on trying and you will get it right eventually.

Johnny Smith,

In my sometimes not so humble opinion, I have to say that since you don't believe in Jesus, you shouldn't have any qualms about leaving a church.

In fact, you've left several churches already. What exit strategy did you use then? It/they must have worked. Use it/them again.

I perceive of a truth that thou art altogether fearful of leaving religion in general.

Once you get past the AoG guy, will you just find another? Islam? Prodigal Mormon? etc.

You said;

"I replied that I was not sure I considered myself a Christian any longer. He replied, "If you were not a Christian, you would not be in this office." He stressed that I needed a "time of refreshing." He encouraged me to listen to "praise and worship" music and said that I just needed to spend some quality "alone time" with the "Lord"...

I, Duderonomy Guru, would say unto you...

You said you told him that you were 'not sure'. That's like putting your blood in the water and aiming it at a shark. Again, I wonder if this was your intent.

I would also say unto you, that "if you weren't an Ex-Christian you wouldn't be posting on this website".

Yes, you do need a time of refreshing. Just on the odd chance that you aren't only masturbating your brain here, I suggest that you take it and unless you just can't see through the hype you quoted from your 'friend', don't spend it listening to the very "praise and worship" music he recommends. That would be like him 'preaching by proxy', as it were.

And how does one spend 'alone' time with ones' self (and yet with Jesus)? Look, if the face to face don't work...send music that says the same thing. If all else fails, have them spend some time alone, brainwashing themselves.

C'mon man.

What do you have to lose? Even Paul said "be strong". Jesus said in Revelation that the FEARFUL would be without along with those who don't believe, so what do you have to lose?

Stand up for yourself.