Goodbye Jesus

Better Without God

garrisonjj

Since my deconversion and the halting of prayer,worship and church attendance, I have discovered that my life is better. Clear skin, no more nail biting, a free conscience and general feelings of well being.My life hasn't changed since I stopped praying (talking to myself). It never did a fuckin thing anyway.

God is a myth along with the babble and other invented practices. I resent all that religion has robbed from me. What were your greatest changes since deconverting?

I would say having more free time! I used to go to church on Sundays and Wednesdays. I was there all day and night Sunday because of praise band and also from 4-9 on Wednesdays. I also had prayer meeting from 9-whenever at night on Thursdays and other various activities. When I quit going to church and prayer meetings, I actually had time to really research the Bible I believed so ardently in, and it was only then I was able to "see the light." Church kept me so busy that it kept me living the lies.

I've also had to deal with family and explaining it to them. I still have to deal with prayer time at meals and people saying they will pray for me and all that. It used to not bother me at all when I was a Christian (obviously), but now it makes me burn a little inside each time. However, I try to be tolerant. I think tolerance is another thing I have learned through my deconversion. I never used to think much about that before, and now I think about it all the time as Atheism seems to be a minority where I live. I now know what it is like to be not tolerated and so I try to tolerate others as best as I can.

The biggest change by far has got to be the paradigm shift. Since leaving I now find myself open to new ideas and new thoughts. I don't just accept something as truth anymore. I really want to learn more and I have control over my future. Before I felt that everything I do had to glorify God, so if I did art it had to glorify god, whatever I was reading had to glorify god (or not separate me from him), if I wanted to do martial arts and KO someone I had to give glory to God. My thinking overall has changed is changed I can learn anything now and my mind is free to new ideas and I am free to disagree with things that go against my own moral code (instead of just saying well the buybull says this so you have to do it). Because of the shift in my way of viewing the world I am much happier and more accepting of people. I also see people differently and see the bible differently. I don't feel obligated to be the "Nice Guy" anymore. I am now free and open to discover who I am and my own purpose.

But on a side note religion did help me with some stuff. During my own self deconversion I found that I was more interested in history of the jewish culture, writing, other religions and science (mostly evolution). If it wasn't for religion telling me NOT to study this stuff too deeply I would never be inspired to do it!!!! :HaHa:

Glad to hear the deconversion is going so well - Mr. Garrison :wicked:

For me, it's been nothing but blue skies and smooth sailing. Better and better each day. After ditching the deathcult, it was a little awkward for a bit, but knowing that now I was free to define and decide my own spirituality, instead of having it defined for me, was wonderful. That freedom is most intoxicating. I loved being free to finally take a serious look at my ancestral religious ways, and this time honestly appropriate them into my life, not just try to repackage them with Xian wrappings.

Now, over a year later, I am more comfortable with my beliefs, though they evolve every day. I am more free, and no longer fuss about certain sins, or about Hell™, or about if my parents and loved ones will be good enough for Jeezus™ the "just judge" :lmao:

Ex-xianity is just like Mickey D's and Bk put together - I get to have it my way, and I'm lovin' it :)

I'm a lot more comfortable with myself, stronger as a person, and my morals are much more clear and solid because they've been born out of clear thinking and not just spoon fed. So I can live my life and get along with others much easier without feeling bad anymore.

Oh, there's a big difference for me. For the first time in my life, I'm truly comfortable in my own skin, and not racked with guilt for being human. I'm hugely self-reliant, and I enjoy it immensely.

It's like going from being a beggar on the street asking for handouts to being comfortably self-employed.

Peace of mind. No longer feeling that someone else is influencing my feelings and decisions. I really feel sorry for those trying to shake off the effects of religion. But ultimately, despite the help they can get from others, this is a battle for their own minds alone.

Freedom.

The sums up my entire deconversion experience. I have the freedom to truly be who I am, and I don't have to apologize(to Bible God)for it.

I feel free to learn new and different things without fear of divine reprisal. I've read so many books about different religions, cultures, rituals, and beliefs in the past four months than I have in my entire life.

Most important of all walking away from Christianity taught me to, finally, believe in myself. I realize now that all the power came from within. Everything good that happened for me I strived and worked to make it be so.

I made straight A's this year(both semesters). Christians tell me to thank God for giving me the knowledge. I'll be damned. I stayed up the long nights reading and memorizing. I busted my ass getting to class ontime to learn. I'm the one financing my education and earning this degree.

Bible God gets NO credit for this.

Deconversion has been the complete realization that life doesn't have to be so demanding if you just go with the flow. You are going to have those up and down times, but in the end it helps to know that a malevolent diety is not thrusting them upon you.

I still believe in a God, but I'm thankful that I'm no longer bound to Bible God.