Goodbye Jesus

Last Hurrah?

Misterspock1

I am thinking about reading the Bible through one last time as sort of a "last Hurrah" at Christianity. Now that I see things from a different perspective, perhaps the brainwashing will have much less impact on me.

So many of my family and friends have been pleading with me to just give Christianity a chance, telling me to read works by Christian authors, read the Bible, and go to church occasionally. Maybe if I read the Bible through one more time and did not come back to Christianity, they would finally let it go.

[sarcasm]Of course, while I am at it, maybe I should read the Book of Mormon, the Koran, and works by Confucius.[/sarcasm]

Actually, I would read about the pagan religions that were present

at the time that the Judaeo-christian mythology was developing,

and then I'd read the Wholly Babble. There was a lot of cross-

fertilization amongst religions back then, and you'd find that the

Judaeo-christian isn't nearly as unique as christians would have

you believe.

You know, reading the babble one more time could indeed be a good idea. To think of the fun of shoving fundie noses into the passages they don't like... :fdevil:

What, no Poetic Edda on that list? ;)

(SCNR :lmao: )

Sure - read the stupid book again, but always bear in mind the things you've learned about it here. Maybe keep a website like Skeptic's Annotated Babble™ on hand, to reference anything unpleasant.

Reading the Babble™ now can only help you see the sickness that is Abrahamic religion.

I tried that many times and found it boring

I would actually support the idea, but be sure to read it objectively and not with the mindset that God will reveal something to you through it.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Why don't you try reading This Bible, instead. I'm a firm believe that honestly reading the bible is the best deconversion tool on the market, but that thing is uber-long and was written by some of the world's most banal and uncreative "literary minds". At least the site I referenced gives you the opportunity to skip the bits that are literally of interest to NO ONE ON THE PLANET, and focus on the relevant issues, so your eyes don't cross themselves permanently.

I would recommend Issac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. It's a fairly big book, but it really gives you a solid historical perspective on the what the events in the bible are referring to.

reading the bible always helps me when I am questioning my un-xtianity.

the old testament is always best for that.

If you want to, I say go for it. I never made it entirely through once because I couldn't stand the inconsistencys and dryness of it.

So many of my family and friends have been pleading with me to just give Christianity a chance, telling me to read works by Christian authors, read the Bible, and go to church occasionally. Maybe if I read the Bible through one more time and did not come back to Christianity, they would finally let it go.

I seriously doubt it. It will always turn into "just one more church trip" or Bible reading.

But I agree with the others. Read again with a new perspective and look at other religious books. I just finished reading the Quran and learned some stuff I never knew before. It hasn't changed my faith or outlook on god, but I understand a bit more about other people and their beliefs outside Christianity. I never realized how similar the two books are until now.

I tried that many times and found it boring

Eh, the babble at least is readable. Kind of.

Wanna guess how many times I tried to read my way through the koran? :lmao:

So many of my family and friends have been pleading with me to just give Christianity a chance, telling me to read works by Christian authors, read the Bible, and go to church occasionally.
Reading the bible on your own is the closest you will come to being able to see all of the " :wub: good stuff :wub: " that the christian authors and church leaders conveniently skip over in order to divert your attention away from what it really says.

Do you ever notice how the authors and preachers say a whole lot of anything other than what the bible actually says? They take some of the most screwed up passages and twist it around to say something completely different! And the masses suck it up and call the dudes "gifted". Gifted at what? Gifted at lying, that's what.

Read it yourself. Any outside help from any other source is simply trying to get your opinion swayed toward theirs. Your family and friends aren't aware of this.

Maybe if I read the Bible through one more time and did not come back to Christianity, they would finally let it go.
Good luck with that. :Hmm:

Sure, go ahead.

Then write down your thoughts on every contradiction you find. Then give your tormentors a copy, or post it to a blog and give them the URL. They will be sooo sorry they pushed you to read IT again.

I personally think it's a bad idea to "pretend Christian" while believing that the Bible is full of nonsense and the theology is horseshit, and the idea of hell cruel and idiotic, and the atonement retarded. I mean, how could you keep your self-respect? What would you teach your children? It's such a bad idea, that I am going to put in all the nastiest sexual smilies from the list here:

:3some: , :bj: , :bukkake: , :Sheep: , :smile: , :david: , :jerkoff: , :SUCK: , :sex: , :jerkit: ,

Gross! The webmaster should do something about all these.

I'm in the same predicament. My mum keeps bugging me to come back to church. She thought i was disappointed with God at first but now she thinks I'm turning my back on God..

All I did was rant about how unjust God was to the people who lived in the promised land and she took that as me turning my back on god.. Sometimes, believing just because of others is really tempting..

Kudos to anyone who actually reads the bible. It is a shitty read. I've never been able to get all the way through it. Too many plotholes and inconsistancies.

If it were written and published today it would be in the slush pile of an editor's desk.

As for me I haven't told anyone, in so many words, that I've deconverted. I guess I am still pretending to be a christian, just not involving myself with Christian things.

I just feel that my lack of faith in it is no one's business.

Kudos to anyone who actually reads the bible. It is a shitty read. I've never been able to get all the way through it. Too many plotholes and inconsistancies.

If it were written and published today it would be in the slush pile of an editor's desk.

Eh, the babble is harmless.

It's the koran that I always fail to really start with. At least so far. :scratch:

It just occured to me that though Christians make a lot of the bible being the best selling book in print, no one mentions that it is probably also the least read privately owned book in print.

Certainly read it again, now that you are not blinded by the spirit.

Yep, read it again. Then when your concerned family and friends ask how it's goin' you can tell them all the great things you've discovered in the bible (even if you already knew them) like laws various foods and types of clothing (no polyester cotton shirts kiddies), show the folks all the proverbs that extol the virtues of bribery, or Jesus' *actual* attitudes towards sinners and Jesus' *actual* attitude towards the religious people of his day, etc etc. You could impress them so much with your bible knowledge that they'll soon be begging you to stop because it's causing them to question their faith just too much.

Then when you're done that you can offer to go back to church with them and you can call the pastor to account, pointing out all the inaccurate nonsense in his sermons. Pretty soon, instead of asking you to give it one more chance, they'll be begging you to go away and leave them alone.

It just occured to me that though Christians make a lot of the bible being the best selling book in print, no one mentions that it is probably also the least read privately owned book in print.

Like the Knuth's Algorithm books for the programmers. I think Bill Gate's made a statement once, something like "Every serious programmer have Knuth's books, but no one have ever read them."

Dear Skeptical Christian:

Please feel free to read all you want in Ex Christian Life and the Testimonies fora, but please refrain from posting here and in Testimonies. These are the only two fora on the board where Christians are not welcome to post.

If a person is still a Christian, they could not have any useful advice for someone who is struggling with issues relating to having left Christianity.

Thank you in advance for your respectful compliance.

Loren