Goodbye Jesus

Tainted Cell Phone Number

Evelyn

I've had this cell phone number for two years. Apparently, someone named Erica had it previously. Some months ago, I got an call from a collection agency on this number and had to convince them that I was not her. Tonight, a few minutes ago, I again a call from a collection agency, an automated call saying please call back and refer to this case number. Side note, what made me really angry was when I immediately called back, the recording said, "our regular hours are 8:00am-7:00pm" Then why the fuck did the call come at 8:15pm??? :screams: I left them a polite but angry message in their general voicemail box about this. So, I have to wait to call them tomorrow. Grrr!

This number also gets the occasional call from telemarketers asking for Erica. Some time ago, I registered this number on the national "do not call" directory and I make sure to tell the telemarketers this, even when they tell me it was an automatic dialer that dialed the number.

Of course, you could say I should be glad this number didn't used to belong to a "lady of the evening". Now, I could have fun with those calls... :fdevil:

Eh, that's nothing.

An ex-acquaintance of mine got a phone number years ago that for whatever reason appeared as a BBS dial-in number in a number of BBS lists for Germany. After about a year and a half of persistently getting those damn beep'n'chirp modem calls on that line, he thought "Well, what the fuck - you want a BBS, you'll get one!" and set one up.

It is a way of dealing with such a thing... :scratch:

Eh, that's nothing.

An ex-acquaintance of mine got a phone number years ago that for whatever reason appeared as a BBS dial-in number in a number of BBS lists for Germany. After about a year and a half of persistently getting those damn beep'n'chirp modem calls on that line, he thought "Well, what the fuck - you want a BBS, you'll get one!" and set one up.

It is a way of dealing with such a thing... :scratch:

That's good, I hadn't thought of that!

Tonight, a few minutes ago, I again a call from a collection agency, an automated call saying please call back and refer to this case number.

...You know, that reminds me of something that happened to me at work a couple of weeks ago.

Some "agency" (I don't know if it was a collection agency or what) called my roommate's cell phone asking for my mom (except they couldn't pronounce her first name - "Susan" instead of "Suzanne") and asking her to refer to a certain case number.

Now, an Internet search of the case number turned up a company in New York, but nothing else. And when my roommate called back and gave them the case number, the woman on the other end of the line treated him very rudely before hanging up on him. This happened three times. Apparently, they were really "desperate" to get ahold of my mom - but wouldn't agree to speak to me for whatever reasons...

At this point, I'm starting to think that it's some kind of scam... :scratch:

I did an Internet search and the company that called me is a collection agency. They just need to know that "Erica" doesn't have this number any more.

I have read in the news about collection agencies that will call people with similar names to the ones who owe money and try to collect from them, just for the heck of it, but I don't think that's the case here.