Goodbye Jesus

Apology And Rant

chefranden

Apology for my absence:

PTSD funk and trying to finish my kitchen remodel.

Rant: Only for Americans

That which adds to the funk: Knowing that most of the people of the nation that I loved and wished to serve have their collective head up their collective ass gazing at their idealized self-image as a democratic, peace-loving nation.

Looky folks, as much as I despise AA, their notion that one needs to acknowledge a problem before one can deal with seems true. We Americans continue in our pathological denial of our history of genocide, slavery, discrimination, exploitation of working people both at home and abroad, war for profit, and imperial expansion. I think it is an essential mark of maturity in nations to have the capacity to acknowledge and address all the dimensions of one’s character -- something like the Germans had to do after WWII. Must we wait until we have our asses handed to us like they did?

I’m the first to admit that we have crapped out a few pearls in our struggle to imitate the Roman drive to dominate the world for its own good. (Ironically, we quashed the Germans and Japanese for attempting the same.) But much of what we have done and most of what we are doing is shit for all but a privileged few.

To those that might dismiss this critical examination as an act of disloyalty or even treason I say that you have yet to develop the emotional maturity to acknowledge the shadow of our national experience and to assume the full responsibility of a democratic citizen to police your own leaders.

We are not the sweet hearts of the world. We let our leaders tell us what wonderful things we do by letting them spend buckets of money (i.e. your labor, and your kid’s labor, and your grandchildren’s labor…) on war and preparation for war for the profit and security of the plutocracy that owns everything including the air you breath.

When are you going to get mad?

Ramen, Chefranden. I've been mad for awhile now. I'm not quite sure what to do about it. You can write to your congressman, but what if he's a neocon? You can choose some lobbying organization to support, but often all you get are repeated requests for money, along with pleas for money from new organizations who bought your name from the first organization. You can join the Democratic Party, but sometimes they are as looney as the Republicans. You can join a third party, which guarentees you will have no political voice, as there are very few on the ballot. You can make plans to leave the country, which is difficult unless you have some sort of a degree that's in demand elsewhere.

I am coming to the conclusion that Chef's pondering is correct: we must wait until we have our asses handed to us like the Germans did in order to learn our lesson. Excuse me now, I'm going in the back yard to dig a bunker.

Sorry to hear about the PTSD funk, Chef. I hear on the news that many vets of other wars are being re-traumatized by what they're learning about this one. Not that it makes it any better for you to know that other vets are suffering, too.

What a friggin' mess.

What an awful consequence will someday be paid by us all.

I went to that Kommandos site. I'm not sure I got a fix on what their philosophy is. Are they "deploying" toy soldiers at places around the country in protest against our invasion of Iraq? If so, I think that's a helluva bright idea for an on-going demonstration.

I hope your kitchen turns out beautifully... something, somewhere, ought to... :shrug:

Ramen, Chefranden. I've been mad for awhile now. I'm not quite sure what to do about it. You can write to your congressman, but what if he's a neocon? You can choose some lobbying organization to support, but often all you get are repeated requests for money, along with pleas for money from new organizations who bought your name from the first organization. You can join the Democratic Party, but sometimes they are as looney as the Republicans. You can join a third party, which guarentees you will have no political voice, as there are very few on the ballot. You can make plans to leave the country, which is difficult unless you have some sort of a degree that's in demand elsewhere.

I am coming to the conclusion that Chef's pondering is correct: we must wait until we have our asses handed to us like the Germans did in order to learn our lesson. Excuse me now, I'm going in the back yard to dig a bunker.

I don't know what to do about it. Using the system (like I used to believe in) is not going to do it. The system is designed to dissapate anger into the either. The system only reforms when threatened with more violence and or disruption than it is prepared to deal with. Even then it manages to turn reform into endless programs designed to stick money into the pockets of some corporation or another.

I get e-mails most every day from the DCCC. Everyone of them is some version of, "See Republicians are EVIL give us money." Do they want my input as a citizen? No! They only want my input as a consumer. I don't see the Democrates as saviors from corporatacracy. They are as much global empire builders as anyone. Clinton was a prime example. If the 2 parties were rotten steaks, the Dems are only one day less rotten.

Sorry to hear about the PTSD funk, Chef. :

Thanks Pitchu.

The kommando thing is fun. I like to put them in big box stores.

To those that might dismiss this critical examination as an act of disloyalty or even treason I say that you have yet to develop the emotional maturity to acknowledge the shadow of our national experience and to assume the full responsibility of a democratic citizen to police your own leaders.

Amen

We are not the sweet hearts of the world. We let our leaders tell us what wonderful things we do by letting them spend buckets of money (i.e. your labor, and your kid’s labor, and your grandchildren’s labor…) on war and preparation for war for the profit and security of the plutocracy that owns everything including the air you breath.

PR spin and youthful brainwashing rein supreme over truth in the minds of the masses. This is why I now believe that democracy can never work. Those in power recognize this truth and take advantage of it with Machiavellian fury while the detractors seem to naively hope the system will eventually restore fleeting balance. Frustrating indeed, but I believe no one will get angry until it's too late and the average citizen feels the pinch personally.

PR spin and youthful brainwashing rein supreme over truth in the minds of the masses. This is why I now believe that democracy can never work.

Then what system should be used in its place?

I don't have an answer for that. Wish I did.

That which adds to the funk: Knowing that most of the people of the nation that I loved and wished to serve have their collective head up their collective ass gazing at their idealized self-image as a democratic, peace-loving nation.

The alternative viewpoint is that many, if not most, of these people you deride are just like you. They have assessed and analyzed and have developed an opinion about US foreign policy that -- brace yourself -- is different from yours! This does not make them stupid, nor brainwashed. But if it makes you feel any better, they probably think your head is up your ass too.....

:grin:

This is why I don't debate politics any more. *sigh*

The last time I was mad over politics was when I was a rabid fundy. I was quite worked up over that semen-stained blue dress. People were dying left and right at the hand of the Klintons and no one but rabid fundies and conservative conpiracists could see it! Martial law was imminent. The Constitution was being shredded by that evil Bill Clinton. I seethed at the evil liberal media. CNN stood for Clinton News Network.

So now the worm has turned and the liberals are the ones who are mad. The media is now a puppet of corporations who get daily orders from the RNC. Martial law is imminent. The Constitution is being shredded by that evil George Bush......

It's just a cycle. Trust me, the next time a Democrat makes President and the Senate majority shifts (if the DNC can ever get their shit together) the conservatives can all be the angry conspiracists again and you liberals can chill for awhile.

Just my opinion and observation folks....

Well, I'll just say that recognizing the fact that the constitution has in fact been usurped and that Bush has abused the power of his office does not necessarily a liberal make. I understand that some can be perfectly intelligent and probably even informed and still find a reason to support this character. In some cases there are those who have differing values than I. Comparing Bush's abuses with Clintons on a similar value scale is however a bit of a stretch as far as I'm concerned.

Signed: No Clinton supporter, no D party supporter, but certainly no Bush supporter.

The cause of the problem is an uninformed electorate.

Exactly.

The greatest danger to democracy is the ill-informed public that votes the politicians into office. That's the weak point of democracy.

This is the best political quote I've read in quite some time, by just some random guy on the internet who claims to have worked in the white house.

"Democracy as a government relies upon the ability of factions to compromise on divisive issues through rational debate instead of violence. The current political power brokers have figured out how to short circuit this process by focusing national attention on issues which are based on differences of non-negotiable, irrational moral sentiment, and are thus not subject to resolution through rational reconciliation. They've broken democracy."

The saddest part is that people fall for it.

The alternative viewpoint is that many, if not most, of these people you deride are just like you. They have assessed and analyzed and have developed an opinion about US foreign policy that -- brace yourself -- is different from yours! This does not make them stupid, nor brainwashed. But if it makes you feel any better, they probably think your head is up your ass too.....

:grin:

This is why I don't debate politics any more. *sigh*

The last time I was mad over politics was when I was a rabid fundy. I was quite worked up over that semen-stained blue dress. People were dying left and right at the hand of the Klintons and no one but rabid fundies and conservative conpiracists could see it! Martial law was imminent. The Constitution was being shredded by that evil Bill Clinton. I seethed at the evil liberal media. CNN stood for Clinton News Network.

So now the worm has turned and the liberals are the ones who are mad. The media is now a puppet of corporations who get daily orders from the RNC. Martial law is imminent. The Constitution is being shredded by that evil George Bush......

It's just a cycle. Trust me, the next time a Democrat makes President and the Senate majority shifts (if the DNC can ever get their shit together) the conservatives can all be the angry conspiracists again and you liberals can chill for awhile.

Just my opinion and observation folks....

You too, huh? I can't say that I ever cared much about the blue dress, but I was just as sure as you were the Clinton would impose martial law at any moment. I ain't proud of it, but I remember feeling *relieved* when Dubya was elected in 2000. Now I find it pretty amusing to read conspiracy-talk among the left. It's not that I directly disagree with them- they have lots of valid points... but they sound EXACTLY like the rightwing militia nuts during the Clinton years.

I tend to agree with Vigile about democracy, and I even like the solution of voting with your feet. Unfortunately, that isn't an option for me right now... but I'm working on it. When the wife and I are done with school in a few years, we'll work on getting career experience and becoming mobile so we can move on short notice if this country takes a turn for the worse. I'd LIKE to improve things, but I don't have any good solutions beyong leaving.

Chef- you and I may disagree on more than one point, but I appreciate your political rants. You've influenced me more than you probably realize.

PR spin and youthful brainwashing rein supreme over truth in the minds of the masses. This is why I now believe that democracy can never work.

Then what system should be used in its place?

Objectivism :)

Even objectivism has it's weaknesses. It all depends upon who's ox is being gored. Personally, I like anarchy, or it's close cousin, Libertarianism.

I've been calling myself neo-libertarian for awhile. It's Libertarianism without the unrealistic anarchistic edge.

Even objectivism has it's weaknesses. It all depends upon who's ox is being gored. Personally, I like anarchy, or it's close cousin, Libertarianism.

I've been calling myself neo-libertarian for awhile. It's Libertarianism without the unrealistic anarchistic edge.

Aye, Anarchism will never work simply due to human nature. Personally, I have similar doubts about Libertarianism, or any other untested third-party political philosophy. Sure, it looks great on paper--but so did Communism.

I find myself agreeing with Vigile more and more lately. I find it obvious that everything we have/are trying isn't working as it should, but I don't have any ideas for fixing or replacing it. The only people who ever seem to "win" are those whom nearly everyone else refers to as the "bad guys."

I won't argue the fact that it's incredibly cynical. That's probably why I concentrate on improving my own situation, and everyone else can sink or swim as they see fit.

The evolutionary endpoint of all government systems, ultimately, is tyranny. It seems that we're spiraling toward that end as we speak, moving inexorably toward corporate fascism. But, of course, whether it's just a deviation or a real downhill slide remains to be seen, and any catastrophic event (such as the bankruptcy of General Motors, for example) could change the course. Bottom line, work with what we have and hope for the best.

Thanks for the interest all.

I want to make it clear that I don't reguard the American left as an antidote to the right.

What is called the left is not really. The left and the right in America are more like the left and right arms of the same body. Both arms are controled by the same brain which we could call Corporatacracy as Burnedout has pointed out already.

Even my parents prgressive hero, FDR was about preserving Capitalism. He could see that a real left was forming among the disgruntaled working class. In the Wobbley movement there was a tendency to cooperate accross race and ethnic lines, which was especially dangerous to the capitalist, who had defeated labor in the past in part by playing groups against each other. FDR's reforms were designed to quite the working classes by throwing them a bone with a little more meat on it, so that they would stop demanding the cow. His intention was to "save Capitalism from itself." In doing so he preserved the divisions by enabling top down controled racist and corrupt unions like the Teamsters, AFLCIO, and United Mine Workers.

Now it is plain that the Neo-Cons want the bone back. But what we didn't seem to notice was that Clinton had already worked hard to loosen the middle class' grip on the bone. Maybe it was the .Com bubble illusion of prosperity that distracted us?

What I hate about this is that I don't know what to do. Burnedout seems to have a lot more knowledge about practial politics in his little finger than I do in total.

Yes, I want to make sure to acknowledge this.

This has been a rant that is admittingly simplistic. I'm am as much frustrated by my own inability to make things (like impeachment) happen, as I am at the seeming inaction and thus seeming acquiescence of my fellow citizens. But then there is a tendency among my acquaintances at least to not want to think about it, and a tendency to not see that the system of governance produces the corruption and has since the beginning. What we see today is not the result of a few bad apples. Bush and company are not an anomaly in an otherwise good system designed to produce the best for the most. Bush and company are business as usual. The only difference seems to be a higher level of incompetence and in-your-faceness.

I feel that these tendancies are widespread, and that the population will be content with the next set of meaningless reforms.

I don't see this as a pendulum swing any more. At best it is an oscillation of a stuck on the right pendulum between "pretty far right" and "really far right".

Objectivism :)

The world doesn't have a very good history when it comes to implementing "isms" into a country's political climate.

The evolutionary endpoint of all government systems, ultimately, is tyranny. It seems that we're spiraling toward that end as we speak, moving inexorably toward corporate fascism. But, of course, whether it's just a deviation or a real downhill slide remains to be seen, and any catastrophic event (such as the bankruptcy of General Motors, for example) could change the course. Bottom line, work with what we have and hope for the best.

Fascinating observation. It does indeed appear that you are correct. I wonder if you have any stats to back up the statement that the endpoint of all systems is tyranny. As I said, it certainly appears to be a true statement I just haven't come across any studies that make this claim.

Thanks