Goodbye Jesus

Tolerance (rant)

AtheistMommy

The other day I was emailed by a guy on myspace. He commented about how I sent him a friends request but failed to send him an email stating why I wanted to be his friend. Now, mind you, I don't usually send emails to people when I ask them to be my friend on myspace. Nor do I expect them to do so to me. When someone asks me to be their friend, I simply go to their page and check them out. If I like what I see and read, I approve them. If not, I deny them. Either way, I'm not anal about it.

In his email he said he didn't want my friendship because from what he read I was not tolerant enough. Here are his exact words...

"I'm writing to let you know that I did carefully consider your friendship request the first time. I read your profile. I took a look at your blogs. And I decided that you are not tolerant enough to meet my standards for myspace friendship. Sure, you might claim to be tolerant. But your claims of religious tolerance would ring hollow on closer inspection."

He goes on to explain his argument...

"You make yourself a martyr for your views. You throw your beliefs in peoples faces so that when others, who are only slightly more ignorant than yourself, attack you for it, you can cry foul. Your attacks against those who don't share your beliefs are of the passive-aggressive variety. "

Almost as if he's trying to tell me that putting Atheist on my sleeve for everyone to see is being intolerant and making myself out to be a victim. I'm suppose to sit back and pretend everything's ok? Why? I want to be able to dance in the sun naked like all the other people in the world who just happen to be xians. I'm not going to cave in for the sake of looking, seeming, pretending to be tolerant. That's not tolerance!

Make love not war my ass! If you declare war, you'd better be prepared because I'm going to fight. That is me, this is who I am. And despite my past attempt to change that, I've been this way from birth. This is how my brain is made up.

I totally understand those who'd rather not fight back. I have a family now and I'm torn between protecting my family by covering up and protecting my family by fighting back. Either way, my family is what I care most about in the whole world. They are my life, my love, my everything. And if someone where to try and take that from me, I don't think I'd even think twice about what I was going to do to defend them. I'd most likely switch off and nature would take over.

I have a drawing hanging up on my wall that says "The worst place to be in the world, is between a mother and her child" That is me, this is who I am. You either take me as I am or leave me. Either way, I remain the same. Me.

I've learned a lot though. I've learn from people just like this guy. They make me question myself. Could he be right? Is he right? Is he wrong? Am I not tolerant enough? My answer? I'm as tolerant as I can be. He lives in a different place than I do, he lives a different life than I do, and you cannot judge someone for their actions accurately until you've been in their shoes. He has no idea what's really going on over here. He hasn't any idea of how my life really is. All he knows is his own opinion and what he deems as "tolerance." But in the end he has failed to be tolerant of me.

Here is the rest of his email...

"No my lady, judging from your profile and your blogs, for what it's worth, you are not worthy of my friendship. Of course the key words there are "for what it's worth." I certainly dont claim omniscience in regards to religious philosophy. But I do treat people the way I want to be treated. And I would agree that you to too actually. The difference in you and me is that I treat them kindly. "

I'd let it go.

He seems to think that a myspace friendship is some sort of life-long commitment or somethin'. Not only that, but he's a self-righteous asshole with his, "you are not worthy of my friendship" remark.

He's just dust on your shoes, Mommy. Just dust on your shoes.

I'd let it go.

He seems to think that a myspace friendship is some sort of life-long commitment or somethin'. Not only that, but he's a self-righteous asshole with his, "you are not worthy of my friendship" remark.

Oh, I saw right though him when I read this. But it got me thinking, like so many things do (it's exacly what makes me an insomniac, I think way too much) and so I wanted to write about it. Besides, writing about these things always make me feel so much better. Seriously.

Wow, what a fucking drama queen, (him, not you.)

Jesus fucking christ...you don't meet his qualifications for myspace friendship? Is he fucking kidding? What a self-important ass. See this is why I don't even bother with Myspace and instead do LiveJournal. I just can't deal with all the emo kids and drama queens on myspace.

Also, you are TOLERANT of someone else as long as you don't try to impede them from practicing their faith, obstruct, create laws against it, as long as you don't mow him over with your car etc. Tolerating something means you allow it to exist without trying to actively stop other people from exercising their free will.

I think he's looking for respect. And respect is EARNED.

What a whiny little bitch. :Wendywhatever:

I agree.

If there is one thing I've learn from debating people, its that they often switch defintions to their advanage.

I'd let it go.

Oh, I saw right though him when I read this. But it got me thinking, like so many things do (it's exacly what makes me an insomniac, I think way too much) and so I wanted to write about it. Besides, writing about these things always make me feel so much better. Seriously.
Sure, writing about it helped. :scratch:

But I'll bet that if you took a deep breath, exhaled slowly, walked down the hall and banged the Rev. that you'd forget all about it. :mellow:

:HaHa:

I'd let it go.

Sure, writing about it helped. :scratch:

But I'll bet that if you took a deep breath, exhaled slowly, walked down the hall and banged the Rev. that you'd forget all about it. :mellow:

:HaHa:

LOL! Ummm, yeah actually that would work. It usually puts me to sleep. He calls me the man in our relationship because sex relaxes me so much I fall asleep after. Especially if my orgasm was strong.

Looks like the rest of your night is cut out for you then. :HaHa:

The other day I was emailed by a guy on myspace. He commented about how I sent him a friends request but failed to send him an email stating why I wanted to be his friend. Now, mind you, I don't usually send emails to people when I ask them to be my friend on myspace. Nor do I expect them to do so to me. When someone asks me to be their friend, I simply go to their page and check them out. If I like what I see and read, I approve them. If not, I deny them. Either way, I'm not anal about it.

In his email he said he didn't want my friendship because from what he read I was not tolerant enough. Here are his exact words...

"I'm writing to let you know that I did carefully consider your friendship request the first time. I read your profile. I took a look at your blogs. And I decided that you are not tolerant enough to meet my standards for myspace friendship. Sure, you might claim to be tolerant. But your claims of religious tolerance would ring hollow on closer inspection."

He goes on to explain his argument...

"You make yourself a martyr for your views. You throw your beliefs in peoples faces so that when others, who are only slightly more ignorant than yourself, attack you for it, you can cry foul. Your attacks against those who don't share your beliefs are of the passive-aggressive variety. "

Almost as if he's trying to tell me that putting Atheist on my sleeve for everyone to see is being intolerant and making myself out to be a victim. I'm suppose to sit back and pretend everything's ok? Why? I want to be able to dance in the sun naked like all the other people in the world who just happen to be xians. I'm not going to cave in for the sake of looking, seeming, pretending to be tolerant. That's not tolerance!

Make love not war my ass! If you declare war, you'd better be prepared because I'm going to fight. That is me, this is who I am. And despite my past attempt to change that, I've been this way from birth. This is how my brain is made up.

I totally understand those who'd rather not fight back. I have a family now and I'm torn between protecting my family by covering up and protecting my family by fighting back. Either way, my family is what I care most about in the whole world. They are my life, my love, my everything. And if someone where to try and take that from me, I don't think I'd even think twice about what I was going to do to defend them. I'd most likely switch off and nature would take over.

I have a drawing hanging up on my wall that says "The worst place to be in the world, is between a mother and her child" That is me, this is who I am. You either take me as I am or leave me. Either way, I remain the same. Me.

I've learned a lot though. I've learn from people just like this guy. They make me question myself. Could he be right? Is he right? Is he wrong? Am I not tolerant enough? My answer? I'm as tolerant as I can be. He lives in a different place than I do, he lives a different life than I do, and you cannot judge someone for their actions accurately until you've been in their shoes. He has no idea what's really going on over here. He hasn't any idea of how my life really is. All he knows is his own opinion and what he deems as "tolerance." But in the end he has failed to be tolerant of me.

Here is the rest of his email...

"No my lady, judging from your profile and your blogs, for what it's worth, you are not worthy of my friendship. Of course the key words there are "for what it's worth." I certainly dont claim omniscience in regards to religious philosophy. But I do treat people the way I want to be treated. And I would agree that you to too actually. The difference in you and me is that I treat them kindly. "

By even caring about his post I find you to be a very tolerant person. You can wear whatever badge on your sleeve you like.I believe you are a wonderful person and I wish I knew you or could call you friend. Sincerely, gary

Um, wtf? This person sounds like is a loser (the one who decided you weren't "worthy" of his friendship). This is is why I am on LJ instead too. Most people on LJ don't act like teens, and the teens there tend to not bother people they don't know.

And I totally agree with Zoe on the definition of tolerance. Tolerance is not "okay, I'll agree with everything you say." Tolerance is "I'll allow you to be different and not beat you up or something." Sheesh.

Can you ignore people/block them on Myspace? I suggest ignoring the loser.

By even caring about his post I find you to be a very tolerant person. You can wear whatever badge on your sleeve you like.I believe you are a wonderful person and I wish I knew you or could call you friend. Sincerely, gary

Awww, thank you :grin:

You can call me your friend. The internet has provided the most loyal and long lasting friendships. I think it has a lot to do with how its easier to talk to people though writing and never having to actually face them. Either way, I've been coming to ex-christian for years now and quite a few of these people have a special place in my heart.

Maybe that has a lot to do with how much success I've had with internet relationships. I did afterall meet my husband (the man of my dreams) and have two babies as a result. My life before that was filled with confusion and emotional pain. Of course I was also trying to hard to fit in with my family.

But I'm getting off subject so I'll stop there :grin:

Um, wtf? This person sounds like is a loser (the one who decided you weren't "worthy" of his friendship). This is is why I am on LJ instead too. Most people on LJ don't act like teens, and the teens there tend to not bother people they don't know.

And I totally agree with Zoe on the definition of tolerance. Tolerance is not "okay, I'll agree with everything you say." Tolerance is "I'll allow you to be different and not beat you up or something." Sheesh.

Can you ignore people/block them on Myspace? I suggest ignoring the loser.

What is LJ?

I think you can block people.

What is LJ?

I think you can block people.

Livejournal:

http://www.livejournal.com

I'm not sure about all the specifics of how myspace is set up...I went there one time, before my eyes glazed over from the "hello, this is my first html webpage" graphics.

Live journal is a blogging tool. It doesn't have all the "golly gee" bells and whistles of myspace...but it DOES have an overall much higher quality of people. (although LJ drama's can become infamous... http://www.ljdrama.org )

At any rate, you can pretty much, once you meet people and set up a journal, set your entire journal to friends-only. You can make some kind of post to the effect of: "This is a friends only journal, comment here if you want to be added." (you can still meet new people through other people's journals and the comments section.

For me, the friends-only option is the best way to go. I had an "online stalker" who I didn't want to have access to my livejournal anymore...this was after 3 years of posting, literally thousands of posts (I often post multiple times per day.) Because livejournal makes you change EACH and every post to Friends only if you want to go friends only, we had to find some software to auto-do it. It was AWESOME, tom set it up for me and it literally took maybe 10 minutes to friends lock every single one of my posts.

Ah well than I've already got something like that. The very first thing I set up was a blog on blogspot.com. It's the most successful site I've ever had. I've been featured on about.com for some of my writing. Seriously though, I don't know why that guy likes my writing. Anyway, I only have a myspace because I signed up for soemthing that required I have a myspace. It was a System of a Down thing.

I totally understand though. When I first started my blog I had all these people posting religious crap. So I put a filter on my replies. You can only post back to me if you're a member. Only with Blogspot there is not "collecting" of friends. People come, they read, they reply or leave. I like to call it my "bitching" post. : )

Thanks for the link.

I'm with Zoe on this one, what a whiny little bitch! (him, not you).

Let it go, you gave it your consideration, made a decision, and that shows character. If the best he can amount to is being self important on MySpace, then he's got nothing to offer. What a dork.

Let it go, you gave it your consideration, made a decision, and that shows character. If the best he can amount to is being self important on MySpace, then he's got nothing to offer. What a dork.

Yeah, it seems even more silly now that I've read all these posts. Seems like everyone's thinking the same thing. Btw, I love your sig.

My first blog was on Blogger. There weren't really friends lists there either, although you could bookmark other people's blogs and such. I like LJ better. It's easier to manage and I know more people there, heh.

Yeah, it seems even more silly now that I've read all these posts. Seems like everyone's thinking the same thing. Btw, I love your sig.

Thanks, I say it so often, it made things easier for me. :grin:

Did I get this right AM, he wasn't tolerant enough to accept your supposed intolerance? ... the word "bigot" comes to mind.

Did I get this right AM, he wasn't tolerant enough to accept your supposed intolerance? ... the word "bigot" comes to mind.

:lmao: Yeah, that's what he was saying. :lmao:

Btw, is that baby looking at the "boobies" section?

Kind'a. He's looking at the Victoria's Secret ads.

I don't think, from what I read on your myspace, that you are intolerant where you shouldn't be. I think you are intolerant of intolerance, as am I. I often ask myself the same question and it is good to keep ourselves in check. But religion, in most forms I have come in contact with, is intolerant and harmful. I will not tolerate that, and I imagine that is what you are standing against as well.

I don't like people that are so arrogant in their assumptions.

My view on tolerance?

For example if a KKK guy does nothing but rant on a radio, I will begrudge him his right to say what he wants. I have the right to call him racist and a fool behind his back to a bunch of friends or front of him.

If that guy decides to call me an "nigger lover" and punches me in the face, I'll hit back and walk away. No tolerance this time.

Acceptance is a different thing entirely. I accept the people on this site because they're cool people, period.

I accept people if they're truly great people, I tolerate them if they're a bit jerkish but the gloves's off if they are complete jerkwads that are not worthy of air.

I don't think, from what I read on your myspace, that you are intolerant where you shouldn't be. I think you are intolerant of intolerance, as am I. I often ask myself the same question and it is good to keep ourselves in check. But religion, in most forms I have come in contact with, is intolerant and harmful. I will not tolerate that, and I imagine that is what you are standing against as well.

I don't like people that are so arrogant in their assumptions.

Exactly, I cannot be tolerant of harm to my family. Especially if it is over stupid shit like belief in a god.

My view on tolerance?

For example if a KKK guy does nothing but rant on a radio, I will begrudge him his right to say what he wants. I have the right to call him racist and a fool behind his back to a bunch of friends or front of him.

If that guy decides to call me an "nigger lover" and punches me in the face, I'll hit back and walk away. No tolerance this time.

Acceptance is a different thing entirely. I accept the people on this site because they're cool people, period.

I accept people if they're truly great people, I tolerate them if they're a bit jerkish but the gloves's off if they are complete jerkwads that are not worthy of air.

Exactly. thank you :thanks:

I get really fucking tired of whiny conservative bitches who claim that people aren't being "tolerant" of them by allowing them to impose their bigoted bullshit all over the rest of the world.

Y'know what? I frankly think that it's intelligent, thoughtful people like us (and many others) who are being tolerant. We're tolerant of said assholes by letting them spew their fucking garbage everywhere. And honestly, sometimes I wonder if a little alleged "intolerance" of their shit wouldn't be a good thing.

That guy that dissed you on myspace is a small, pathetic, self-righteous, arrogant little prick. You aren't missing out on anything if he thought he was being a noble, superior person by dissing you on fucking *Myspace*, for chrissakes. I mean jeez, how middle school is *that*??

My patience wears very thin for whiners and losers like that guy. I'll happily be tolerant and open with folks of all sorts - until they start being whiny little pussies about shit that isn't real. "Oh, you have to tolerate my selfishness and bigotry or else you aren't tolerant yourself!!" Um... BULLSHIT.

Tolerance means you let people live their lives as they please, and hold the beliefs they do, without persecuting them for it. Refusing to allow someone else's bigotry to run everybody's lives isn't persecution. End of story.

Don't let the bastards get you down. That's all for now.

LOL!

I took a peek at his myspace page... I love all his protestations about how humble he is.

One thing I can tell you, every single time I've met someone who has to crow about how humble they are - they aren't humble.

The guy's a nob.

LOL!

I took a peek at his myspace page... I love all his protestations about how humble he is.

One thing I can tell you, every single time I've met someone who has to crow about how humble they are - they aren't humble.

The guy's a nob.

:lmao: I know, I read that too.

Here's what I sent the guy:

honest_atheist

Jun 27, 2006 12:27 PM

intolerance (lol)

If you thought my wife's page and blog was intolerant (lol... quite the joke amongst all of us), you'll love mine!

p.s. To be intolerant of intolerance is to be intolerant, too. lol... "WE WILL NOT TOLERATE INTOLERANCE!!!"

~RAS

www.reverendatheistar.com

www.myspace.com/reverendatheistar