Goodbye Jesus

How Many Preachers Don't Believe?

Llwellyn

It is easy to imagine that a lot of missionaries, pastors, and manipulators themselves do not believe the kind of shit their feeding others. I mean, I can imagine that a show is being put on every time I hear a foul-minded bigot, with his ill-shaven face, his greasy skin, his thick, gesticulating hands, his bellowings and threatenings. He himself does not believe in hell, or divine petulence, or Jebuz, or the Holie Babble, or blood atonement, but he uses thoughts he implants in other peoples' skulls to get power, prestige, pay and sex. :nono:

What do you think, do you think this kind of person exists? What percentage of fire and brimstone evangelists are (intentionally) full of shit and deception? Have you ever met such a one? :twitch:

baptism%20ky%20preacher%20indoor.jpg

falwell.jpg

preaching.jpg

jae%20mksn%20preaching.jpg

preach.jpg

LOL @ the pics...

I have often wondered the same thing. I dont think many are out there with it in mind to deceive, but I do think many mainline ministers do not believe half of what they spout, but they justify it because they feel they offer services to the community.

LOL @ the pics...

I have often wondered the same thing. I dont think many are out there with it in mind to deceive, but I do think many mainline ministers do not believe half of what they spout, but they justify it because they feel they offer services to the community.

AND it pays the bills! I'll bet you a dollar to Dunkin' Donuts® that they'd ALL find a new line of work if their tithes and offerings were cut off. (Little chance of THAT happening, but you know what I mean.)

It's all about MONEY and POWER with these clowns. If poverty, sack cloth and ashes made a big "holiness" comeback, I can assure you that even your friendly neighborhood pastor would denounce the practice as "foolish" and "unscriptural". They ALL enjoy their suits, gold watches, luxury cars and the PRESTIGE of being The Man of GAWD! Much too much to forsake it for "holiness."

Besides, baby needs a new pair of shoes! :wicked:

Hmm. I think most of them don't realize they don't believe it. They get off on the power and energy rush; the high that comes from a stirring sermon and they think that's what god is. If you were to ask them if they "really" believed in god, they would get offended and say, "Yes, of course!" And that's probably the truth.

But when it comes down to it, they don't feel they need to follow the commandments or live beyond being CINO (Christian In Name Only). They think that since God has made them successful, obviously they are doing something right by him and they don't need to do more.

Mostly, they don't realize they don't believe their own bullshit. It's easy to give it to others, it's pretty hard to swallow yourself.

If they(the preachers) really don't believe, I bet a bunch of them must have chuckled when they can call millions of people their sheep or flock (dumb animals) and the so called sheep willingly and lovingly except the title. If someone called someone else a sheep they'd be offended. Christians somehow except this.

Having been a preacher, from experience I would say not many. It wasn't true of me and I didn't detect it in any minister I knew. Having said that, I will admit that I knew ministers that didn't believe properly, like of course I did.

I agree with chef, as I was once a minister myself and thereby was associated with a significant number of other ministers. Based on this experience, I'm confident that most preachers are typically sincere--those of the fundamentalist persuasion that is. Another poster already mentioned, however, that a good deal of preachers transition from what would be considered a biblically pure belief to a ego-rooted belief; that is, the admiration and power gained through a pastoral position may begin to unconsciously replace "true" faith with a spiritually disguised ego-mania.

When in Bible college, I remember moments of reflective lucidity wherein the realization that I was merely pursuing a ministerial career for the power and prestige would forcefully enter my consciousness--to feed my own ego and gain a sense of self-worth--the realization that I was using religion to stick out my chest. Yet, despite this dark self-discovery that polluted the quality of my belief, I still sincerely believed in the requisite doctrines of Christianity. Therefore, while famous fundies may display obvious signs of avarice and a lust for personal adulation, ironically, they are probably sincere believers--at least within their own heart and mind.

• 4 weeks later...

I think there is a good many that do come to the realization in their studies. However, they don't admit to it and justify it with excuses, so they don't lose face. That must be soooo difficult-- to know the errors and have to week after week feed them to lost sheep.

I've mentioned this before, but my school Chaplain told us once in class that the nativity story was nothing but a fairy tale.

I don't think ANY of the preachers believe in the bullshit that they espouse, and that is what makes me angry.

They are all trying to get in where they can fit in. They've found a lucrative hustle(and millions of brain dead followers) and milk it for everything it's worth.

I remember my ex-pastor, who was arrested for molesting several underage church girls and boys, was one of them. He drove a Mercedes Benz and didn't even have to hold down a regular job. He just lived off the church income....His wife didn't even work! So you know he was raking in the loot.

It is sickening.

Of course they exist. Some were earnest in their desire to serve the higher good, and found out there was none, and they decided to perpetuate the lie in order to in their twisted view better mankind. There was a guy here that believed that even though he was an atheist, religion was still good for humanity.

Then of course there are the other types that I think make up the majority, these are the ones who found out the bible was false, or never didn't know that, and decided to use it to make money. Generally these are the televangelists, like Peter Popoff I think, who at his services would have people write things about themselves prior to entering, then his wife would tell them to him in a mic and he'd then 'miraculously' point that person out, by way of their infirmity, and 'heal' them. He was blatanly caught in the act, yet utterly denied it to the people who caught him and showed him video evidence, and he continues to do this today.